forum

Transitioning From Osu!mania into Etterna - Player Options

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EtienneXC
Hey, everyone! I know some people have had trouble transitioning from o!m to Etterna due to people not being quite familiar with the terminology used/new options that come with the game so I thought I would create a general player options guide to get you guys somewhat familiar to get you guys started!

abraker
I've been meaning to get into Eterna for some time now, but four things have always deterred me:

+ Etterna has to process all the files every time you open the game. It's like osu's "beatmaps are processing" bug, but happens whenever you open the game. It's very annoying to wait, and I am not going to keep the game open just because of this.

+ With the amount of file specific settings there are to apply (the settings when you press enter key twice when selecting a file), it would be make sense to create a default profile for all. It's a bit annoying to reapply all of them every single time I open the game.

+ There are not many resource or tutorials on how to make noteskins. It would be great if there were guides or tutorials on how to work with them. I have kinda replicated my skin from mania, but it doesn't have the 100% feel of it yet and I don't know how to achieve that.

+ There is no simple way to look at all scores you have for a file. You have to play the file to see the results screen which shows all your scores
Tripletth
but i can already press keys in osu
johnmedina999
>not playing stock sm only

jk pls don't hurt me mr xc
Topic Starter
EtienneXC

abraker wrote:

I've been meaning to get into Eterna for some time now, but four things have always deterred me:

+ Etterna has to process all the files every time you open the game. It's like osu's "beatmaps are processing" bug, but happens whenever you open the game. It's very annoying to wait, and I am not going to keep the game open just because of this.

+ With the amount of file specific settings there are to apply (the settings when you press enter key twice when selecting a file), it would be make sense to create a default profile for all. It's a bit annoying to reapply all of them every single time I open the game.

+ There are not many resource or tutorials on how to make noteskins. It would be great if there were guides or tutorials on how to work with them. I have kinda replicated my skin from mania, but it doesn't have the 100% feel of it yet and I don't know how to achieve that.

+ There is no simple way to look at all scores you have for a file. You have to play the file to see the results screen which shows all your scores

-The newest version of Etterna loads the songs from cache so my game went from taking 10 mins to load to about 30 secs/min now. Probably like 5-10 secs on normal computers. When loading new songs now in the game, ctrl+Q adds those new songs very quickly as well so you don't have to restart the game/reload songs anymore.

-I've never ran into the issue of reapplying mods and have never even back in SM 3.95. As long as you have a profile made, you never have to reapply anything.

-I have no experience making noteskins so I sadly cannot help you out there personally, but I can see if anyone would want to make a vid in the future!

-Sure there is. Just click the score tab at the bottom and use the effect buttons to scroll through your top scores on it: http://puu.sh/ACPVx/b94fc5d3bc.png
abraker

EtienneXC wrote:

-Sure there is. Just click the score tab at the bottom and use the effect buttons to scroll through your top scores on it: http://puu.sh/ACPVx/b94fc5d3bc.png
Would make sense to put the acc alongside the rates listed instead of needing to shuffle through them. I would just want to take a quick glance at what rate I want to improve and go for it.

I'll check out the latest version of Etterna and take a look at profiles. Videos on noteskins would be great!
Chez
One of the things that really screwed me up in SM was the lack of feedback. Well, thank Jesus that ecafree made a skin to solve that.

Welcome to Stepmania O2Jam style, now in 4k and 7k.

This is and Etterna's ingame adjusting thing is all it took for me to be able to read everything almost as well as I do in o!m. I highly recommend anyone who plays barskin on o!m to use this.
Bobbias
Lack of feedback? As in hit judgements? Because honestly, judgement feedback is one of the things SM/Etterna is better at than osu...

Also, got a screenshot of that bar skin? I've tried one or 2 bar skins in Etterna and hated them (Despite playing mania with bar skins in both 4k and 7k).