forum

LAYS STAX v. Pringles REVIEW

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

Introduction

In this thread I will review LAY'S STAX ("Lays") and Pringles, specifically the Flamin' Hot and EXTRA HOT varieties, as shown here.

In this review, I will compare the following:
  1. Metadata (nutritional facts, quantity, etc.)
  2. Flavor
  3. Crunchiness
  4. Miscellaneous criteria

Metadata

First off, we can see the nutritional facts at the back of the labels for each can. Lays contains 140 kcalories per 28g serving, while Pringles contains 150 calories per 28g. Although this is not a very noticeable difference, it is a difference: Lays chips wins in this area. In addition, on the labels, Lays says that 12 of its chips weigh 28g, while Pringles says 15 of its chips contain 28g; this means that Lays' chips are heaver than Pringles chips, again making them superior in this area. Lastly, on the front of the labels, we can observe the net weight of both chips. While Pringles contains 131g of chips, Lays contains 155.9g of chips. For winning all three areas of this segment, Lays gets one point.

Flavor

Disclaimers:
  1. I would like to apologize for not buying the same variety of flavor for the chips. In a properly controlled experiment and unbiased review, I would have gotten the original flavors of both varieties of chips, but my local 99-cent store did not carry original Pringles. These two were the closest to each other I could find. Because of this small difference, I will not be including the winner of this segment in the final calculation of the score. Sorry, everybody.
  2. Flavor ranking is largely a subjective and opinionated matter, and will not be considered in the final score calculation. This segment is only here for your personal information in aiding you to decide which of these products to buy. Take the following information with a grain of salt.
Both of these chips are spicy-flavored: in my opinion, Pringles is spicier than Lays, so it wins that round. However, Lays has more dust flavoring on it than Pringles does, so it gets a point as well. I personally prefer Pringles, because its dash of lemon flavor balances out the spiciness, creating an indulging flavor that melts in your mouth. Lays' flavoring, on the other hand, seems to me like it's trying to fit into the "Flamin' Hot" branding too hard. These types of chips just aren't meant for the type of flavoring that Cheetos and Funyuns have; I believe that Frito Lay is better off creating a new type of spice flavoring for its chips, because it comes off as bland. I would get almost any other flavoring of Lays compared to these Flamin' Hot ones. I recommend the Sour Cream and Onion ones, those are good. Or just the original ones.

These Lays aren't horrible, but they aren't good either; not good enough to pursue. They fall into a bland area. In my opinion, Pringles has the better taste and wins this round.

Crunchiness

Disclaimers:
  1. I do not have professional sound recording equipment, so I cannot objectively measure which chip crunches the loudest. However, I can make my best guess, so we'll go with that.
Pringles chips are thinner. That's simply a fact. With the thinner chip, Pringles cannot possibly compete with Lays chips in this department. And sure enough, when I test the loudness of each chip, Lays wins every time. Lays obtains a point.

Miscellaneous criteria

The only real criteria I can think of to test here is the packaging. Pringles' circular can allows your hand to reach about halfway to the bottom; after that, you can slide the chips out with no problem. Lays has a weird shape which is small and uncomfortable to stick your hand in; you can only stick your hand in about one fourth of the way to the bottom, because any more and your hand gets stuck on this painful plastic rim that the can has. In addition, Pringles sports an aluminum can, which helps protect the chips inside better than the flimsy plastic casing Lays has. Pringles wins this round.

Conclustion

It may seem that LAY'S STAX is the superior chip, having a score of 2-1 against Pringles. However, note that I decided that Pringles has the better flavor, and I would worth that segment as three points. With the flavor calculated in, Pringles wins 2-3. If I were given a choice between the two chips that I reviewed today, I would without hesitation choose Pringles. However, this is personal preference. I leave you with an objective summary of this review.

Lays has:
  1. thicker chips
  2. more chips
  3. An annoying (flimsy) plastic can design
  4. Less calories per serving
Pringles has:
  1. thinner chips
  2. less chips chips
  3. A beautiful aluminum can design
  4. Slightly more calories per serving
  5. Brand age (better well known)

And with that, I bid you all good night. Thank you for reading, and may you enjoy the chips you enjoy.
levesterz
I like chips too
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

levesterz wrote:

I like chips too
Yum! Best chips 10/10.
ColdTooth
abraker
lays > pringles
hayate13

abraker wrote:

lays > pringles

Pringles is Better.
abraker

hayate13 wrote:

abraker wrote:

lays > pringles
Pringles is Better.
fight me

hayate13
abraker
ColdTooth

abraker wrote:

Flanster
Stores I do grocery shopping usually dont have Pringles. I went to another supermarket and got Texas BBQ, shit was so powerful it got a bit uncomfortable.
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

Flanster wrote:

Stores I do grocery shopping usually dont have Pringles. I went to another supermarket and got Texas BBQ, shit was so powerful it got a bit uncomfortable.
That's quite unfortunate, not having Pringles. BBQ flavor is... not my favorite.
Serraionga

abraker wrote:

[obligatory build a wall joke]