forum

[Proposal] Allow overlaping sliders with predictable path

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Alheak
Hello fellow mappers and modders!

Nowadays slider shapes are getting crazier and edgier thanks to innovation and creativity in mapping, but the RC seems to be kind of a bottleneck in that regard or kinda blurry.

For example, some shapes could use partial burai for looks, but they would apparently be currently unrankable despite having little to no effect on the actual gameplay and being quite straightforward:

Link to the map

Link to the map

That's why I am proposing to either make the rule in question a guideline or reword it to allow such things as partial burai as long as the intended path is obvious:

Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end.
Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders.
would be changed to (last update: 18/05/25):

Every slider must have a clear and predictable path to follow from start to end.
Any part of the slider that does not contain slider ends can overlap itself once as long as it doesn't overlap any other part of the slider.
Slider ends and red anchors must not overlap each other in a way that creates closed shapes unless the whole slider is small enough to be entirely covered by the slider ball leniency at all time.
The current rule could then be added in difficulty-specific rules from Easy up to Hard to make sure these kinds of shape are only allowed in difficulties from Insane up.

I hope I have been clear enough, thank you for your consideration!
anna apple
I think we should make it a guideline since the objective for RC is fair gameplay and a lot of burai sliders in maps have fair gameplay but are unrankable cuz rc

also since the qat have avidly supported maps with burai sliders and they are now ranked this should seriously become a guideline lol
Topic Starter
Alheak
I guess so yes, in the end those sliders ended up ranked with the BNG/QAT approval, which is the definition of a guideline more than a rule in my opinion.
CXu
I wrote a proposal thing regarding burai sliders about 3 years ago and I still stand by most of it (although I guess defining it as I did is quite cumbersome) t/369339 . The thread died eventually like every other RC thread back then and then was tucked away and archived, but I figured I'd link it again here.

Also, proper burai sliders are probably much harder to read for most people nowadays just from the fact that most people delete slider-end skin elements, but it shouldn't really be a factor since the RC is based around the default skin, and it's a player's own choice to make reading them harder if it does get allowed.
Topic Starter
Alheak
That was an interesting read, I think I've got a good idea of how we can solve this issue now:
Every slider must have a clear and predictable path to follow from start to end.
Slider ends and red anchors must not overlap each other in a way that creates closed shapes unless the slider leniency prevents any possible break. Burai segments must not overlap each other, and they must not overlap themselves more than once.

How does that sound?
Okoratu
this actually can be used as a solution to t/744298

I think, both threads want the same? why are there 2 threads even
Topic Starter
Alheak
I'm not sure, maybe they didn't even bother checking before creating the thread, or my title didn't have enough buzzwords in it.
Topic Starter
Alheak
Any part of the slider that does not contain slider ends can overlap itself once as long as it doesn't overlap any other part of the slider.
Slider ends and red anchors must not overlap each other in a way that creates closed shapes unless the whole slider is small enough to be entirely covered by the slider ball leniency at all time.
Changed to clarify that in the case of closed shapes, the whole slider should be so small you can't break, that burai segments cannot overlap anything else (could be used as a loophole to create closed shapes that doesn't require anchors to overlap each other) and that slider ends can't be used in a burai segment.
pishifat
archiving in favor of topic with similar suggestion: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/744298