forum

Daily movie thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
Sadly there is no film subforum so here is the next best thing to briefly document and review my progress as I attempt to watch one movie everyday for a year. Plus if there are any film buffs or just interested folks who would like to follow along to discuss each movie as they come up please go ahead. I plan to focus more on 'must watch' films so my score for each one is going to be adjusted accordingly, A 1/5 is going to equate to an okay score (think a 5 or 6 /10) to keep space for the truly marvelous. 0 may be used sparingly.

Film List
10/03/2018: Inherit the Wind
11/03/2018: Silent Running
12/03/2018: Okja
13/03/2018: Taxi Driver
14/03/2018: Die Geschichte vom weinenden Kamel
15/03/2018: The Shape of Water
16/03/2018: No Country for Old Men
17/03/2018: The Graduate
18/03/2018: The Circus
19/03/2018: Rosemary's Baby
20/03/2018: Chronos
21/03/2018: The Fly
22/03/2018: Freaks
23/03/2018: Pleasantville
24/03/2018: 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
25/03/2018: Psycho
26/03/2018: Stand by Me
27/03/2018: The Princess Bride
28/03/2018: Gran Torino
29/03/2018: Rebel without a cause
30/03/2018: Hanna
31/03/2018: The Party
01/04/2018: Open your eyes
02/04/2018: Something wicked this way comes
03/04/2018: Blue Velvet
04/04/2018: Citizen Kane
05/04/2018: Evil Roy Slade
06/04/2018: The Third Man
07/04/2018: The Great Dictator
08/04/2018: Låt den rätte komma in
09/04/2018: Lost Highway
10/04/2018: The day the earth stood still
11/04/2018: The Devil's backbone
12/04/2018: Harry Brown
13/04/2018: Inland Empire
14/04/2018: Idiocracy
15/04/2018: The Maltese Falcon
16/04/2018: Mulholland Dr.
17/04/2018: From Dusk till Dawn
18/04/2018: The Elephant Man
19/04/2018: The Pilgrim
20/04/2018: Memento
21/04/2018: 12 Monkeys
22/04/2018: The Magnificent Seven
23/04/2018: 28 Days Later
24/04/2018: Blazing Saddles
25/04/2018: Get Out
26/04/2018: 2001 A Space Odyssey
27/04/2018: The Grapes of Wrath
28/04/2018: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
29/04/2018: Lord of the Flies
30/04/2018: The man who knew infinity
01/05/2018: Zabriskie Point
02/05/2018: Beasts of the southern wild
03/05/2018: Plan 9 from Outer space
04/05/1993: The girl with the dragon tattoo
05/05/2018: Pulp Fiction
06/05/2018: Ex Machina
07/05/2018: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
08/05/2018: Arrival
09/05/2018: Blade Runner 2049
10/05/2018: Wild at Heart

March 10, 2018 Inherit the Wind (1960)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053946/

Based upon the 1925 Scopes' Monkey Trail this film follows a school teacher as he is arrested and placed on trial for the teaching of evolution. Conflict ensues as the trial gains national attention and America is forced to confront the role of scientific progress against it's own political and religious conservatism.

For a trial that conclude nearly 100 years ago it is insane how relevant the discussion involved within this film still is today. The dialogue is slick and the performances are consumed with passion. The music was rather underwhelming but when the film is long stretches of dialogue backed by silence this doesn't detract to much ultimately. Obviously this is not the greatest film ever about a court trial but a worthwhile watch nonetheless.

3/5
rHO
omg i'd love a film subforum tho
you probably should get a Letterboxd account if you haven't
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

smh wrote:

omg i'd love a film subforum tho
you probably should get a Letterboxd account if you haven't
We'll need to see if there even are movie fans on this site first. I have to look into letterboxd a bit more first before deciding to use it.

March 11, 2018 Silent Running (1972)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

In a future where all flora is extinct on Earth, an astronaut is given orders to destroy the last of Earth's botany, kept in a greenhouse aboard a spacecraft.

A relatively short film with a simple premise and leaves me partiality unfulfilled. The movie can be split into two distinct sections that feel like completely different movies neither feeling truly complete and honestly feels more like a TV show. While I can't claim to be a massive fan of the sci-fi genre it is still the simple concepts like this one which I find the most appealing and despite my ultimate dissatisfaction I do not regret seeing it. For it is the exploration of desperation and solitude that I find most compelling.

2/5
rHO
it's a great website and i use it to keep track of what i watch! plus it gives me a reason to watch more movies
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
How thorough is it with stuff like foreign films? I hate when these sites are missing things they clearly should have.

March 12. 2018 Okja (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3967856/

A young girl risks everything to prevent a powerful, multinational company from kidnapping her best friend - a fascinating beast named Okja.

This movie is super depressing. GMO's, animal cruelty, factory farming - I am not a massively bleeding-heart environmentalist but this film does strike hot on issues we should address as a society. The character's a quirky and I appreciate that to what otherwise would have become a solemn affair. It was really just the CG that broke my interest in the film as well as some ambiguity to the objections about modern food production.

2/5
rHO
pretty sure there's a huge library there, so it's a rare case if you see a missing movie there. i think you also can submit a movie if it's not on the library
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 13, 2018 Taxi Driver (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314/

A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action.

A gritty and grimy look at the sense of hopelessness that drives a man to become a vigilante. Felt slow while watching however in hindsight Travis' own social ineptitudes were on show rather than building a supporting cast. The gritty style and jazzy score intermingle superbly building up as events unfold. I feel it glorifies vigilantism a tad but I don't know if that is just me.

3/5
Comfy Slippers
Obligatory "Vertigo, Clockwork Orange and The Big Lebowski are god tier" post.
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Obligatory "Vertigo, Clockwork Orange and The Big Lebowski are god tier" post.
Never seen Clockwork Orange and am due for a rewatch of the other two. Probably as part of this coming year.

March 14, 2018 Die Geschichte vom weinenden Kamel (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373861/

When a Mongolian nomadic family's newest camel colt is rejected by its mother, a musician is needed for a ritual to change her mind.

A documentary of Nomadic camel sheperds. Insight into foreign lifestyles and cultures really fascinate me so the slice of life sections really interested me. There is much less of a narrative as the synopsis may imply and is only for the sake of concluding the film. Unfortunately subtitles were missing for many lines in my version of the film (I don't know if this is intentional) but the dialogue is quite sparse and insignificant that it doesn't mean much of a problem.

2/5
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 15, 2018 The Shape of Water (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580390/

At a top secret research facility in the 1960s, a lonely janitor forms a unique relationship with an amphibious creature that is being held in captivity.

Having been extremely successful at this past academy awards this film has received a lot of extra attention. Paying homage to cold war era 'creature feature' films and combining Guillermo del Toro's Adult fairytale style creates this beautiful film. I've always loved the stylised look of mid-20th century America enough for Little Shop of Horrors to be my favourite musical and I appreciate much of the film is spent just capitalising on the look. The score is beautiful however only really held up by two songs and kinda weak in it's implementation into the film. I loved this one a great deal.

4/5
Comfy Slippers

Green Platinum wrote:

4/5
But it's a Del Toro movie!

Keep it up. I might hop on. I just need to motivate myself to watch something.
rHO
ooh, i've been wanting to watch The Shape of Water. what's your best movie from 2017 in your opinion?
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Looking forward to it.

smh wrote:

ooh, i've been wanting to watch The Shape of Water. what's your best movie from 2017 in your opinion?

Three Billboards is the best in terms of narrative and character arcs from what I've seen. It's just so heavy in terms of themes I don't see myself returning to it very often. The Shape of Water on the other hand is just so beautiful in terms of production design that I could watch it anytime. It's either of those but maybe there is some other film more within my strike zone.

March 16, 2018 No Country for Old Men 2007
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and more than two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande.

The tension in this film is utterly palpable. As soon as the conflict began my eyes were glued to the screen and I was on the edgy of my seat. The most impressive thing is it manages to keep up this sense of anticipation and urgency throughout. Performances were great and convincing despite the James Bond-esque villain. Details did however begin to feel repetitive constant motel jumping, Distance between 'the hunter' and 'the hunted' often became difficult to judge and an abrupt ending did serve as downsides. Have a look if you want something action oriented without much of the absurdity the genre usually carries.

3/5
abraker
Personal suggestions: Memento, Infinity Chamber, Edge Of Tomorrow, Anti Matter, Timecrimes, Source Code
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 17. 2018 The Graduate 1967
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/

A disillusioned college graduate finds himself torn between his older lover and her daughter.

If I saw this film a couple of years ago there could have been some wisdom I could gleam from it however now I can only see Ben as a complete unlikable POS although that is somewhat the point. While love Simon and Garfunkel using already established music as part of a soundtrack feels lazy to me I always prefer to have music I don't have established feelings to. And the ending was just salt in the wound.

1/5
rHO

Green Platinum wrote:

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Looking forward to it.
does this mean everyone can hop on the board and also post what they watched? :P
nikky
wow thanks bro
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

smh wrote:

does this mean everyone can hop on the board and also post what they watched? :P
I don't mind as long as it is in spirit of the stuff I am looking at. We don't need this thread to become a dozen fanboys gushing about the new Marvel or Starwars movie. Try to keep it to interesting film.

March 18, 2018 The Circus 1928
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018773/

A Tramp finds work and the girl of his dreams at a circus.

An old Charlie Chaplin film. He was truly a master of visual comedy as if you see one of his films you will notice some gag piece that has been iterated and copied countless times. Considering how much of this I have seen sampled elsewhere it is surprising I even enjoyed it as much as I did. It is always a question of how much influence should weigh when rating a master artists works but when it comes to Chaplin he rises to the expectation. Obviously limitations with silent film prevent it for becoming an utter masterpiece but this is a fun film to watch nonetheless.

2/5
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 19, 2018 Rosemary's Baby 1968
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063522/

A young couple moves in to an apartment only to be surrounded by peculiar neighbors and occurrences. When the wife becomes mysteriously pregnant, paranoia over the safety of her unborn child begins to control her life.

Creepy and unsettling. The fact it is so uncertain as to whether Rosemary's concerns are legitimate creates a phenomenal atmosphere I was legitimately expecting the film to become one of more traditional horror rather than remaining purely psychological. It's somewhat similar to another beloved film of mine Eraserhead.

4/5
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 20, 2018 Cronos 1993
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104029/

A mysterious device designed to provide its owner with eternal life resurfaces after four hundred years, leaving a trail of destruction in its path.

Not much to really say about this movie. Failed to really build up on it's mythos leaving only a few scenes that capture the vampiric nature of the protagonists immortality. The lighting was pretty awful for the last 30 minutes or so making it difficult to tell what was happening.

1/5
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 21, 2018 The Fly 1986
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091064/

A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes horribly wrong.

Being fantastic in being campy and cheesy but has really earned this film it's place within pop-culture. Even if you haven't seen the film you probably know the premise for elsewhere and there are no real surprises to be had. Some scenes may disgust certain people but I enjoyed the hilarity it evoked.

3/5
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
March 22, 2018 Freaks 1932
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/

A circus' beautiful trapeze artist agrees to marry the leader of side-show performers, but his deformed friends discover she is only marrying him for his inheritance.

Film has come a long way. The tinny audio and blurry visuals gave me a bit of a headache. Would have prefered the film remained on the more slice of life stuff as the main plot point were uninteresting. Not a movie you need to go back and see.

1/5
show more