forum

Osu!mania vs Etterna?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[TAS]
I have a few questions on this topic.

What exactly is Etterna? Just an updated version stepmania or is is something on a new level?
Which game including ALL of the playable songs you can get is actually more challenging?
Which has a tighter ACC setting?
Since I haven't downloaded Etterna yet what are some of the customization's you can have in that game that you can't in O!M and vise versa?
Which game do you prefer over the other and why?
Yyorshire

Shroudborn wrote:

What exactly is Etterna? Just an updated version stepmania or is is something on a new level?
It's essentially a better yet unfinished version of StepMania that still has some ways to go.

Shroudborn wrote:

Which game including ALL of the playable songs you can get is actually more challenging?
Not really a good question, either game can have challenging songs. However, until osu! adds rates, you can make every song on etterna as hard as you want to with rates.

Shroudborn wrote:

Which has a tighter ACC setting?
The defaults of both I will assume to be either 7-9 in osu!mania and 4-5 in etterna. In these instances, osu! has tighter acc requirements than etterna, but I don't know by how many frames. If you continue to increase etterna's acc requirement (as you are the one who decides which judge to play at), etterna's acc requirements will far outweigh osu!'s.

Shroudborn wrote:

Since I haven't downloaded Etterna yet what are some of the customization's you can have in that game that you can't in O!M and vise versa?
I cannot answer this accurately since I don't spend too much time customizing this game, as it already comes in a neat little package. I'm pretty sure with etterna, customizing themes is currently off the table (the overall look of the game). However, you can customize many other elements, such as noteskins, toasties (combobursts in osu!), and judgement text to whatever you like. Etterna allows in-game customization of many gameplay elements, too many to list, while the customize gameplay option is enabled (by holding or double-tapping the song select key). The one in particular I absolutely love is moving the receptors up or down. It seems simple, but I've still yet to figure out a way to do this in osu! as I am not a skinning expert.

Shroudborn wrote:

Which game do you prefer over the other and why?
For regular solo play, Etterna is the to go for me. I've grown tired of playing the same repetitive ranked maps in osu! over and over to see a minimal boost in my rank. Etterna has all maps contribute to an overall rating, that is broken up into sub-ratings that show you where you are lacking and what you are good at. It is by no means perfect, and the official website blacklists a lot of maps that the moderators feel are overrated. However, the overall feel of etterna and mainly rates allows me to enjoy the game much more than I would playing osu! solo.

For multiplayer, I definitely have to go with osu!. The ease of use and amount of players are the main contributing factor to this. It is possible to play etterna online, but almost nobody does. The set up for it is also archaic as hell.

I also prefer to play osu! when I'm in the mood to play LNs (etternafags will call it a gimmick), as Etterna's LNs are the most unsatisfying of any rhythm game I've ever played, but that's my niche.

All in all, each game has its advantages and disadvantages. I feel as if the Etterna developers care more about improving that game as compared to the osu!mania developers, so I feel that Etterna will get much better overtime.
Tripletth
yeah but can it do 7k
Yyorshire

Tripletth wrote:

yeah but can it do 7k
ye
abraker

Yyorshire wrote:

The one in particular I absolutely love is moving the receptors up or down. It seems simple, but I've still yet to figure out a way to do this in osu! as I am not a skinning expert.
This may help https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =617540681
Bobbias
Etterna and modern stepmania use Lua scripting heavily for the themes and such, making it possible to do all sorts of customization or effects in game. How many games let people do something like this:

You can use Lua scripts to add features to the game, modify the theme to whatever you decide it should be, etc.
Tripletth

Yyorshire wrote:

ye
good game i rate 7/10
EtienneXC
You should probably go to the Etterna website if you want to know what Etterna is