forum

Mapping Harder Difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
unassigned
Hello everyone,

So recently I decided to start looking into mapping, I started by watching all of pishifat's videos upon the topic, and felt like I had a basic understanding of what I was doing. However, I came across an issue mapping harder difficulties to simple beats. The song I'm using is the Google Translate Hotto Dogu (a few of my friends wanted to see it mapped). My issue however, its a fairly slow song, at a consistent 120 BPM. It also has a continuous pattern throughout, making the map very bland after a few seconds. How would I over come these problems of making the tempo feel faster? Thus overall increasing the difficulty of the map?
ChihiroGreyhorn
Try multiplying the BPM by 2, or something like that.
So 240 BPM instead of 120. Even if it has a continuous pattern, you can add some faster notes in when the pattern repeats - which would make it harder every time. If the pattern repeats too many times, I would suggest just mapping a shorter version of the song so that it isn't boring :P .
Endaris

ChihiroGreyhorn wrote:

Try multiplying the BPM by 2, or something like that.
So 240 BPM instead of 120. Even if it has a continuous pattern, you can add some faster notes in when the pattern repeats - which would make it harder every time. If the pattern repeats too many times, I would suggest just mapping a shorter version of the song so that it isn't boring :P .
Meh.
Don't do this as the bpm would be WRONG and as such unrankable. The correct approach would be doubling the slider velocity on the main timing tab.
Then again, a higher slider velocity will never help you make a map appear as interesting, just more difficult.
RealMetMuster
I have to disagree. There are maps with doubled BPM ranked. It's a technique used to make maps more intense.
Rivals_7

RealMetMuster wrote:

I have to disagree. There are maps with doubled BPM ranked. It's a technique used to make maps more intense.
i'm intrigued. if they do doubled, so does the lower difficulties.
you cant have two kind of BPM on the set unless its consistent across all the diffs (Thats unrankable).

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Uninherited timing points must be the same in every difficulty of a mapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.
Ex: if lower diff use 120 BPM, The harder ones cant use 240BPM, and vice versa.

do you have an example of such map? because i dont remember there is any
what endaris said is probably the best way
Annex

Rivals_7 wrote:

RealMetMuster wrote:

i'm intrigued. if they do doubled, so does the lower difficulties.
you cant have two kind of BPM on the set unless its consistent across all the diffs (Thats unrankable).

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Uninherited timing points must be the same in every difficulty of a mapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.
Ex: if lower diff use 120 BPM, The harder ones cant use 240BPM, and vice versa.

do you have an example of such map? because i dont remember there is any
what endaris said is probably the best way
I think what he meant is using 1/8 snapping, so 120 BPM with 1/8 snapping would be 240 bpm. There are many example of such things, typically in alternating maps. However i don't think it's fitting for a song like hotto doggu to use 1/8.