forum

[Archived] Lag/delay since upgrading my computer :(

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yusomi
Problem Details: I've been having some bad frame rate/input lag for about a month now

It started when I got my new computer (specs: gtx 1070, i5 8600k, 8gb ram) All other games run fine so I'm pretty sure the problem lies with osu!

If I open osu! immediately after booting my pc it runs significantly better (still not the performance that should be expected with this hardware) than if i were to open osu! after playing other games/running other programs.

Opening osu! immediately after booting gives me about 2ms and around 600fps, otherwise I get 4ms - 8ms and <400fps. This probably doesn't sound that bad, but it feels really laggy when playing. AR10.3 or any high object density makes the game unplayable.

I've tried downloading osu! onto a usb drive and running it like a fresh installation with no maps/skins and default settings and still got the lag/delay.

I've installed latest Nvidia drivers, and uninstalled old drivers with DDU.

I've set CustomFrameLimit to 1440

I've checked background processes and can't see anything running that shouldn't be... and also other more demanding games can run fine so there's no reason anything should be making osu! run slow

I once accidentally changed my renderer to OpenGL back when this was an option on fallback, but I don't think this is the problem since I changed it back to d3d in the cfg file now and still have the issues.

I was having issues with the polling rate in my other mouse causing huge lag and freezes, and I never actually solved this. I just unplugged the mouse and used a different one. So maybe these problems are related? IDK just trying to list absolutely everything I can think of

Really don't know what to do at this point, I'd appreciate any help at all ;w;

Edit: After looking at task manager while trying to play osu! i can see my GPU usage sometimes drops as low as 9% and usually sits at <20% what would be keeping it this low?

Screenshot showing the problem: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/10155090

Video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SeKjLQwY8
The lag in the video is amplified since obs is running to record the video.

you can see frame rate in bottom right

osu! version: 20160403.6
Sandy Hoey
Go to the NVIDIA control panel and make sure osu! is using the high-performance processor
Topic Starter
Yusomi
I don't know exactly how to do that, but here's some screenshots of stuff I've tried.

https://puu.sh/zeFSp/7443c766f3.png
https://puu.sh/zeFTR/49c530c912.png
https://puu.sh/zeFUH/355c9126ec.png
Sandy Hoey
Topic Starter
Yusomi
- Zuramaru -
Are you able to right click your osu shortcut and choose run with high performance graphics?
Topic Starter
Yusomi
- Zuramaru -
I have no idea then. Maybe try reinstalling your graphics drivers as a last resort.
Topic Starter
Yusomi
I've done that so many times over the last month ; w;

thank you very much for your time anyway !
TR4NQU1L1TY
Greetings! I have recently came across your explained issue, and found it to be quite curious.

Before I mention anything else, I must clear something up. The measurement given by osu!'s FPS counter in "ms" does not refer to input lag. Rather, "ms" is equivalent to 1000 over your given FPS (ex. 1000FPS/500FPS = 2ms, 1000FPS/60FPS = ~17ms). This is referred to as your frame time.

However, you are not completely wrong, as a high frame time paired with a lower FPS value can result in input lag. Kudos to Death for correcting me on this :)

This occurs with my own NVIDIA hardware, where my NVIDIA GeForce 820M hits me with a 60 FPS cap, along with a terrible 17ms of frame time. This issue persists when running osu! on native fullscreen with my NVIDIA GPU (which, of course, cannot compare to your mighty GTX 1070 XD).

However, I can resolve this issue by running osu! on windowed fullscreen (borderless), or utilizing my integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 5500).

I suggest both methods to your issue, to see if that has any positive (hopefully not negative) effect on your performance.

1. Try running osu! in windowed (or fullscreen, if you are already running on windowed).
2. Attempt to use your integrated graphics (though, reading the previous posts, you seem to be unable to ;-;)

Please feel free to read through the other suggested solutions provided to me in my own post, as they may help you. There are quite a few!

Before I conclude, I have one final question. If you can remember, what was your previous frame rate (FPS)/frame time (ms) prior to these odd changes? This is out of curiosity, as my integrated graphics are able to achieve over 800-1000 FPS, based on my < 2ms... Again, more of this information is on the provided post.

I wish you the best of luck in fixing your issue! TR4NQU1L1TY
Topic Starter
Yusomi
Wow thanks so much for help !

I tried it in borderless with no luck, got slightly worse ms in fact.

When I first got this computer I was accidentally running everything off of the integrated graphics and if I remember correctly it resulted in around 7ms.

TR4NQU1L1TY wrote:

Before I conclude, I have one final question. If you can remember, what was your previous frame rate (FPS)/frame time (ms) prior to these odd changes?
If you mean before the changes made to my hardware then I can't give an answer since the only thing left in the PC that is the same is the hard drive. So osu! has always been running poorly on this computer ;w;

Going to go read through your post now. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it ! :)
Kao
Could be a shot off the dark, but maybe your drivers are outdated, or the Nvdia control panel is using an old version. Consider updating your drivers. (Unless it doesn't appear because of a specific graphics card.)
Topic Starter
Yusomi

Kao wrote:

Could be a shot off the dark, but maybe your drivers are outdated, or the Nvdia control panel is using an old version. Consider updating your drivers. (Unless it doesn't appear because of a specific graphics card.)
that was one of the first things i tried. I've uninstalled and re-installed them so many times over the past month. I've tried slightly older drivers as well, but had no luck ;w;

Thanks for the help anyways
Topic Starter
Yusomi
After looking at task manager while trying to play osu! i can see my GPU usage sometimes drops as low as 9% and usually sits at <20% what would be keeping it this low?
TR4NQU1L1TY

Yusomi wrote:

After looking at task manager while trying to play osu! i can see my GPU usage sometimes drops as low as 9% and usually sits at <20% what would be keeping it this low?
hello again xd

Hm, is osu! idling as you observe these CPU values? If so, those percentages aren't really an issue at all.

I can sometimes find osu! sitting around at 5% CPU, according to my own task manager.

osu! doesn't take that much out of a computer, it being a relatively easy game to run, after all.

If you think something is capping its performance, go ahead and head over to the "Details" tab of your task manager. With osu! open, you should be able to find "osu.exe" somewhere... Right click it, and observe the "Set priority >" option. You could try experimenting around with that.

Other things that come to mind with FPS/ms caps could perhaps be due to your battery settings...? Make sure everything is running at maximum performance, not being limited at all. unless it's not a laptop, my bad xd

Best of luck, TR4NQU1L1TY.
Topic Starter
Yusomi
thanks so much for your help again !

I was playing osu! then after a minute or two tabbed back into task manager and read the values.

I've tried every priority setting then just left it on high since it didn't seem to make a difference.

It's a desktop c:
Kao

Yusomi wrote:

I've set CustomFrameLimit to 1440
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but have you trying to test with default values (240) With Unlimited (Gameplay) as frame limiter?
Topic Starter
Yusomi
oo i had tried lower and higher but I hadn't tried default 240.

Now I've tried it and it didn't help ;w;

Thanks a lot for you help anyways !
mordecosta
Im with the same problem, my odl gtx 970 ran osu perfectly, but i upgraded now to a gtx 1080 ti and osu just feels weird...
Topic Starter
Yusomi

mordecosta wrote:

Im with the same problem, my odl gtx 970 ran osu perfectly, but i upgraded now to a gtx 1080 ti and osu just feels weird...
Aww unlucky that you're going through this too ;w;

I haven't found a solution yet... but if I restart my computer, then close all useless programs in task manager. I can then open osu! and it's pretty playable.

Sorry I have nothing better, I know it sucks having to restart computer every time you wanna play osu! but it's the only thing that seems to make a difference to the lag.

Hopefully this helped in some way~