forum

I Kinda Wanna Make an osu! YT Channel

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Keos-
Hi!

I wanna try starting an osu! yt career because idk I have nothing better to do and I really like the game, though I'm pretty sure the channel won't be a 100% osu content only channel, a large majority of it's content would be osu! content.

My problem however is I don't know how to start recording, I mean like.. with a camera and stuff since all I really have is my phone (S7 Edge so I guess the camera would be decent) and that's about it. I don't know how OBS works but I could probably tinker around with it and learn how to use it myself, I also have 0 knowledge with editing and have no money for any paid editing software (I'm only 16 I wish I had the money, I swear :cry: )

I would really appreciate any advice on how to start up a channel (i.e, suggestions for videos, how to setup video recordings, teaching me to edit, what editing software to use, etc.)

Thanks in advance for anybody willing to give me any advice/help!

Happy circle-clicking!
Sandy Hoey
osu! doesn’t really require editing if it is your own gameplay. And this would be something you only do for fun. The YouTube community on osu! Is way to small to make profit if you aren’t a top player
You can always watch a tutorial on how to set up OBS. It’s not as difficult as you think
clayton
if you're just posting gameplay then you will likely not need to do any video editing. OBS is a good choice to capture gameplay, and you can use a free tool like ffmpeg to clip and encode your video so you can upload it to youtube. unfortunately, both of those tools aren't the most user-friendly in the world so they may take a little bit of time to learn how to use effectively--- but if you dedicate a weekend to reading up on them and finding the right settings, you could be making high quality videos very quickly

if you want to do more than just simple gameplay clips, you'll probably need a good video editor. I'm not aware of any amazing free video editors, but most of the popular ones (vegas, premiere pro...) will offer trial versions and large discounts if you're a student. there are also ways to get these programs for free outside of the law if it's really necessary, but if at all possible you should avoid resorting to that

it's probably fine if most of your videos are just gameplay. as a viewer I think it would be more interesting if each video had more purpose than just playing a random map (ex. reaching a personal goal, trying something new, showing your progress, etc.)

sorry all of this is really generic advice but hopefully some of it is useful :) good luck! just make sure to have fun with it :D
Dntm8kmeeatu

Cl8n wrote:

you can use a free tool like ffmpeg to clip and encode your video

I personally would recommend Handbrake
It's a bit complicated but offers a wide range of customization and tools to get the compression and quality compromise you want. It also supports basic cutting.

Davinci Resolve 14 *can* be a free, versatile editor. The free version is missing a few things from the full, but it's normally stuff you wouldn't need anyways for basic to medium complex edits. Downside is though, it is a bit complicated to someone not used to video editing, and it's supported rendering file formats aren't extremely normal-end consumer friendly. It also requires a fairly decent PC to run smoothly.

But if you ever get stuck on anything, luckily we live in a day and age where there are tons of YT tutorials and all that stuff. And I think it's worth it to become a little bit educated on things you wish to partake in, instead of attempting to take the easy way every time.

That's my two cents on mostly the "Software" side of things.
Kings
OBS is pretty easy to set up but some games dont get sensed by the software. You use game capture/ window capture options. Alternatively u can use bandicam however that has watermark. But that doesn't stop many youtuber for music games.

It's pretty fun to manage a YouTube account however dont be suprised that u can't earn money from it since the regulations on monetization is really tough like you need 1000 subs and certain number of views before being eligible.
Shohei Ohtani

Deaf Zone wrote:

OBS is pretty easy to set up but some games dont get sensed by the software. You use game capture/ window capture options. Alternatively u can use bandicam however that has watermark. But that doesn't stop many youtuber for music games.

It's pretty fun to manage a YouTube account however dont be suprised that u can't earn money from it since the regulations on monetization is really tough like you need 1000 subs and certain number of views before being eligible.
Subs don't really matter. My channel has about 150 subs but mines is still monetized.

However the annoying things is that when you're trying to monetize your youtube channel, Youtube does it VERY weird.

So after one of your videos gets like a certain number of views, you're e-mailed and given the option to monetize with ads and such. You then make some amount of money per views on your video, as long as your video is eligible (which means no copyright claims, which is difficult for osu!).

However you only are able to get paid after making $100 in revenue, which requires a pretty decent number of views to get, especially for something like osu! that probably won't get anywhere past 10k - 20k views. You'd have to be consistently producing meaningful content to be able to get any sort of money that's worth your while, especially if you're trying to make it a career.
Vuelo Eluko

CDFA wrote:

Deaf Zone wrote:

Subs don't really matter. My channel has about 150 subs but mines is still monetized.

However the annoying things is that when you're trying to monetize your youtube channel, Youtube does it VERY weird.

So after one of your videos gets like a certain number of views, you're e-mailed and given the option to monetize with ads and such. You then make some amount of money per views on your video, as long as your video is eligible (which means no copyright claims, which is difficult for osu!).

However you only are able to get paid after making $100 in revenue, which requires a pretty decent number of views to get, especially for something like osu! that probably won't get anywhere past 10k - 20k views. You'd have to be consistently producing meaningful content to be able to get any sort of money that's worth your while, especially if you're trying to make it a career.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01 ... etization/
Shohei Ohtani
oh ship
Li77L3
For editing software, I'd suggest starting off with Windows Movie Maker. It may not be much, but it's got all the tools you'll ever need for Osu! gameplay. Also, don't be afraid to watch some videos on how to use Movie Maker or any other editing software, they'll definitely be helpful. Also if you want to talk one on one, I currently take a class on digital media, so I can give some tips on video editing if you ever need them. As for recording, using your phone is okay, but not very ethical. I'd suggest downloading a free screen recorder like Fraps or X Split Streamer/Recorder. Most importantly, don't forget to have fun with your YouTube Channel. No one ever starts a channel becoming successful. YouTube will start as a hobby until you can eventually start profiting from it. Anyway, good luck with the channel! :)

X Split: https://www.xsplit.com

Fraps: http://fraps.com