forum

Arcade Friendly osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sinuce
I've thought of setting up osu! in the Game Room of a small convection in Denmark.

The idea is that guests should be able to play osu! in Taiko mode with a connected drum.
As you can only select songs by using the mouse, the mouse has to be present as well.

There is a problem with this, however, and it goes as follows:

The guests that want to play, might happen to mess up the whole thing - by using the mouse and clicking at something in the menu that they shouldn't.

Even if I remove the keyboard, they can still use the mouse to select back and choose a different mod, or they can delete songs, heck they can even quit osu! and mess everything up if they wanted to!

I miss an Arcade Friendly-like feature in osu!, where guests can only select songs, and play songs and of course are able to quit a playing song if they want to select another.

Thank you in advance
peppy
I'll look at doing this in the near future. I also have plans of building a cabinet eventually.
Topic Starter
Sinuce
Much appriciated,
Thanks, peppy!

I'll buy you a beer next time you come to Denmark ;D
Gens
"Let's party with osu!"

Arcade... that's cool. Waiting for it. :D
CheeseWarlock
An arcade osu! with taiko drums? Interesting, but I'm not so sure about the interface. Taiko mode really feels more like a minigame or side option than a game in its own right, since the maps aren't made for it and the interpretation doesn't always turn out that fun.

So for a cabinet game, there would have to be a toned-down version of osu!, without any online functionality or the editor... I wonder if that version would be released publicly? There are probably quite a few players who couldn't care less about our wonderful community. :<
peppy
Why no online functionality???????? My cabinet will be osu!-based, and I haven't really considered peripherals for minigames, but they will likely be touch or button based.
dumpsterdiver
Peripherals? Have you considered adding a joystick for CTB? You could get a Happ stick that'd work wonders off lizardlick.com for about 8 bucks, although I don't know if a 2-way restrictor plate exists for that stick (which would be ideal, but not necessary). Sanwa buttons are pretty good for Taiko, it's what I use in my arcade stick, although Seimitsu buttons have a longer life due to the harder springs. You'd need one button for dash at the minimum if you did CTB anyway.
James
sanwa buttons are always good
CheeseWarlock

peppy wrote:

Why no online functionality????????
Well, it would only have local highscores (and no chat, therefore no need to login to an account), no browser to download songs the old-fashioned way (well, you could give the machines osu!direct, or just make whoever's in charge add map packs to it, which seems like it would feel a lot cleaner, if more high-maintenance*).

*Though, shouldn't be more effort than someone would be willing to put in. I mean, we're not going to put the osu! machine in some seedy bar somewhere, right?
peppy
I don't know what you're talking about. The whole idea of an arcade would to have online scores linked up. Why not, afterall?
awp
Total strangers with epic talent making it onto the leaderboards, and you have no idea who the fuck it was? It's like one giant public multi-user-account-fest, is my guess.
CheeseWarlock
So it would be a full version of osu!, user account logins and all, just in convenient cabinet form? Well, that works. I was just thinking of something a bit more... arcadian, really.
peppy
You will find that most modern-day arcade machines have online support. Login will obviously be a different system due to the form-factor and public nature. Users who rank online are not "total strangers" because they have already registered for an account. Arcade does not mean cut-back in my mind.
LuigiHann
I suppose if you're doing it with a touchscreen like you hinted at, you could have an on-screen keyboard pop up for login.

But for Sinuce's scenario, local-scores-only would probably be the way to go.
Jeffro
Or use a seperate table for this where people can enter their name like a easy highscore list :) and then pop up with like register your own account at home to have some more osu! fun :)

Download: Nico Nico Douga - Mikokokokokoto! (Silver Flash) [1].osu
Topic Starter
Sinuce
The most important part is that people/guests can play osu! (e.g. Taiko mode) without messing up the Settings/GUI/Songs ;)
It would also be cool if you could Choose a Song with something else than the mouse; like using arrow-keys to scroll through the song list.
peppy
You already can use arrow keys.
Topic Starter
Sinuce
Oh! I am a wedge goat. You can already. I was trying with right- and left arrow, and gave up when they didn't work :P
Is there any way to increase scroll speed? It takes a pretty long time to scroll through 400 songs with the arrowkeys only.
Jeffro

Sinuce wrote:

Oh! I am a wedge goat. You can already. I was trying with right- and left arrow, and gave up when they didn't work :P
Is there any way to increase scroll speed? It takes a pretty long time to scroll through 400 songs with the arrowkeys only.
Make a function like stepmania has. When someone is holding in tab it scrolls faster through the list :D
Topic Starter
Sinuce

Jeffro wrote:

Make a function like stepmania has. When someone is holding in tab it scrolls faster through the list :D
Yup, I'd like to second that.
- Though, in my version of StepMania (Saphire Theme) the game slows down to half speed when I press TAB :D
vytalibus
Arcade-friendly osu? This sounds like an incoming convention. :3

Anyway, for Sinuce, what we do whenever a game with online features is being demo-played in a convention is that we put a laptop beside the cabinet with an internet browser pointing to osu!'s registration page. People who want to try the game would have to register first before logging in, but that would be their preference. Of course, that would mean volunteers guarding the laptop.

However, if Sinuce is going for only Taiko, I don't think this is necessary. :(
show more