forum

Oldest beatmap that meets ranking criteria?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AndrewRK
Basically just the title. Lately I've been wondering, what is the oldest submitted /updated/ranked beatmap that would be rankable by modern standards? Are all of the old, ancient maps completely unrankable? I guess I'm mostly looking for responses from experienced mappers/modders/BNs, but I understand that they may not care to respond or look back that far.

If there is dispute among what the oldest rankable map is, I would love to see the justification for both sides. I don't really have an example of my own to posit, unfortunately, since I am a poor judge of rankability, being a new mapper and lacking lots of critical mapping knowledge/experience.
Endaris
Well, there are big differences between a map meeting ranking criteria and actually getting ranked nowadays.
Many old maps are still rankable if you just look at the criteria but they'd most likely find people suggesting "improvements" to make the map more modern and intuitive, pretty much moving away from the Quendan style mapping and you'd likely also get told to add difficulties of higher difficulty.
One other big thing is that SR used to be different causing many old spreads to not match modern spread criteria.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/669
This would be one set where I don't see on first sight why it wouldn't suffice ranking criteria.