forum

Does tap style matter?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FadingSpectre
I see better players who single and alternate. Me personally i alternate as well as single tap with both fingers. Is there a better way or is it just preference?
Wesker12340
This is just a preference buddy don't worry
Railey2

Wesker12340 wrote:

This is just a preference buddy don't worry
wrong

singletapping requires less coordination and will usually grant faster returns. Alternating only really pays off for gaining ranks when you're REALLY good at it, and even then you'd probably be better off if you had spent all your time on getting better at singletaps. Unless you're one of the players who have a very hard time with it, some people are just really incompatible with the singletapping playstyle.

The only thing where alternating gives you an advantage, is maps that are too fast for singletaps. But of those, there are far and few in between, and they usually don't give much pp.

Honestly, if the only great thing about alternating is that it doesn't shred your tendons.

If you want to rank up and you have the potential? Singletaps are the name of the game. If you can singletap 260 comfortably, you're basically set for top1000, unless you're super sucky in all other aspects of the game.
abraker

Railey2 wrote:

The only thing where alternating gives you an advantage, is maps that are too fast for singletaps. But of those, there are far and few in between, and they usually don't give much pp.
I find single tapping overlapping sliders-slider patterns hard to do with single taps. It works better when alternating.
Railey2

abraker wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

I find single tapping overlapping sliders-slider patterns hard to do with single taps. It works better when alternating.
This is not what "alternating" refers to. Technically you're also alternating streams, but not everyone who "alternates streams" (aka: Everyone), is an alternating player.

Everyone past 20k plays overlapping sliders this way, including singletap-players. Alternating isn't about overlapping sliders or triples or streams. It's about alternating where a normal player would singletap.
Erina Nakiri
I was singletapping 'til around 3 weeks ago. Took around 3 days of brain farting to finally be able to coordinate my other finger. I don't know about the others but I find it natural to do now, and will continue to do so especially since it saves my finger tendons. One thing though is that when there are two notes overlapping I usually use one finger only, I think alternating that without thinking will take months more.
pandaBee
Alternating can also be strenuous on the fingers since below a certain level of proficiency in the style you can tend to tense the fingers excessively as you need to exert more effort tapping with just the fingers as opposed to using your wrist when singletapping.
Skidayo
singletap > alternating
ManuelOsuPlayer
Depends on the map.
There are maps where o get 99% alternating and 93% singletapping. And maps where i get 99% singletapping and 93% alternating.
Genjuro
Just practice your finger control so you can play any pattern with the most efficient tapping style.
- e - v - b-
alternating has a higher theoretical skill ceiling and is better for your hand, that's about it