This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
None
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
4,869 posts
Offline
would like a way to set a connection speed requirement on multiplayer games i'm hosting, it is quite annoying to have to wait for ppl from third world countries several minutes to download a 2 min map.

to clarify i am not trying to discriminate, I think this would be a good feature because people with these kinds of internets won't end up joining rooms that won't wait for slow dl's. They end up wasting their time when it starts without them and feeling left out when it happens. It's not just meant to help me.
Last edited by xxjesus1412fanx on , edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
2,335 posts
Offline
No, people often don't have choice of infrastructure and ISP.
This goes into grey area of discrimination.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
4,869 posts
Offline
[Taiga] wrote:
No, people often don't have choice of infrastructure and ISP.
This goes into grey area of discrimination.


Any serious replies?
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
3,555 posts
Offline
xxjesus1412fanx wrote:
Any serious replies?

Yeah, no.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
4,869 posts
Offline
Sandy Hoey wrote:
xxjesus1412fanx wrote:
Any serious replies?

Yeah, no.


By his non-existent logic even putting a password on your room is disciminating against everyone you don't want to have join the game, remove passwords pls
kicking people is too, why is the host allowed to kick?
Same for picking a map not everyone in the room can play properly, or choosing a map whose download is no longer available.
We can stretch the logic even further;
uncapped fps is an unfair advantage, i mean some people cant even get more than 240 frames! discriminating against potato pc's. some ppl dont have a choice!! Would you be for limiting everyone's fps in a multiplayer match to the fps of the person with the slowest pc there? It's the exact same logic.

affirmative action was born from people with Taiga's mentality, it's a dangerous one.

I'm simply proposing a mbps requirement you can put on your room, not a "screw all the slow internet people" button. osu! should know or at least have a vague idea of the connection speed of the people connected to it so I don't see what's so bad about it.

No one's forcing people to try to join them if their internet is too slow to hang with the people in it. Believe it or not, i'm not asking for peppy to choose people with fast connections over those with slow ones, there's no reason to grandstand the opposite stance which is basically "oh everyone should be expected to wait" which is equally fallacious, I'm just asking for people to have some more agency over their multiplayer lobbies.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
3,555 posts
Offline
The way I see it is that all those things you listed can be improved. You can buy a better PC to get better frames. You can increase your skill by practicing. But in some areas, you don't have a choice of internet provider, there is only one option and you get the speed that is provided to you. Limiting peoples options because of something they have no control over doesn't feel right to me. That is why I disagree with your suggestion
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
987 posts
Offline
Totally disagreeing with this. I am from what you call a "third world country" but my internet speeds are decent when compared to other similar countries (taking only 30 seconds - 1 minute to download 1 beatmap without video), just be patient and wait.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
4,869 posts
Offline
Sandy Hoey wrote:
The way I see it is that all those things you listed can be improved. You can buy a better PC to get better frames. You can increase your skill by practicing. But in some areas, you don't have a choice of internet provider, there is only one option and you get the speed that is provided to you. Limiting peoples options because of something they have no control over doesn't feel right to me. That is why I disagree with your suggestion


Some people can't afford a new pc in the same way others can't afford to move somewhere they can get decent internet. Who are you to trivialize the plights of others?

Nitrous wrote:
Totally disagreeing with this. I am from what you call a "third world country" but my internet speeds are decent when compared to other similar countries (taking only 30 seconds - 1 minute to download 1 beatmap without video), just be patient and wait.


I was merely generalizing to illustrate my point. In general people from third world countries (which is not a derogatory term at all, it is simply a colloquial way to refer to the developing countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America. It's no more offensive than referring to the US as a western nation.) are the ones slowing lobbies down to a crawl with their internet. It's just a fact, no more discriminatory than citing african american crime statistics. You are an exception, there are many of those, just like there are many people from developed countries who don't have fast internet.

This is fun and all but I would also appreciate some feedback sans the appeal to emotion.
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
3,388 posts
Offline
As much as I want this, I have to think about others and say no. While it's annoying to wait for people to download maps, I wouldn't want to be in their place. Imagine not having a choice because you got what you got and life is not fair, you are simply denied of joining most lobbies because that's a thing.

Treat other how you want to others to treat you. People always have the option to kick them or force start, but most are courteous enough to wait a few minutes for them to download a map, and still courteous enough to keep doing it after they quit first few seconds of the map.
Reply 9 posts

Users browsing this forum: None


Jump to: