forum

[Spotlights] Some Reformations to the Chart System

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red
If you don't know what I'm talking about look here https://osu.ppy.sh/p/chart

If you participate in the monthly spotlights for standard regularly you should know by now that a certain player has dominated 12 of the 14 past monthly charts. While I disagree that they shouldn't be rewarded for their efforts, it gets kinda stale after you see that they've gotten #1 for 10 straight months to the point that competing to get #1 is almost impossible for anyone that isn't at their level.

One proposal to solve this is that if a player has already won the previous month and they win the next month after, the reward will go to 2nd place. This helps make sure that it's not just one player dominating every single month.

Another proposal is the addition of ranking brackets to the charts. I think it makes more sense that if there is going to be competition, a rank bracket should be in place so that lower rank players aren't playing in the same league as top rank players. The addition of some lower difficulty mapsets for each month for the lower ranked players could also be a change that is added with brackets

I hope that adding some of these changes will garner more participation in the monthly spotlights since the amount of people who actually participate in these(actually playing all the maps with intention instead of just playing them by chance) is way lower than it could be
Sandy Hoey
I agree that a tier system may be interesting for this as it would allow lower ranked players to get in on the action. However, I dont agree that the #1 spot should not receive the reward if they win multiple months in a row. If they are the best, there is no reason why they shouldn't get the prize. And if you want it, your going to have to get better
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red

Sandy Hoey wrote:

However, I dont agree that the #1 spot should not receive the reward if they win multiple months in a row. If they are the best, there is no reason why they shouldn't get the prize. And if you want it, your going to have to get better
I feel like this proposal can be removed if a tier system is in place at the least. I figured it would give more incentive to players if a consecutive winner took an off month after winning. It would also make the top rankings a little less stale than they currently are. However, If the tier system is implemented, then I can see the rankings looking a lot more diverse in the lower brackets since the skills aren't as finely honed as the top players in the higher tiers
Endaris
There is a significant problem in how the charts maps are selected.
Because they aren't selected with the incentive to provide a good base of competition but to highlight mapsets.
As such it is going to be very difficult to introduce a tiersystem.
Topic Starter
Ted_the_red

Endaris wrote:

Because they aren't selected with the incentive to provide a good base of competition but to highlight mapsets.
As such it is going to be very difficult to introduce a tiersystem.
yes I was thinking about this too. I was thinking that the upper half of the tiers would have the normal spotlight selection as usual while the lower half would be able to participate in either the lower difficulties if applicable to the maps in the regular spotlight, and a few mapsets that have lower star diffs as top diffs. This is probably the biggest flaw in a what a tier system would bring as the maps could be somewhat limited if there were no particularly stand out maps with low star top diffs. Standard might not see this problem as much, but the other modes already have a problem with their months being dry as is