forum

[HD/SD] [STD ONLY] MyReadingSucks

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
h3oCharles

MAKE SURE TO PLAY WITH 'EZ' OR CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR IN THE EXTRAS FOLDER!

This skin was supposed to be a joke to Mafham, he replied to me saying that animated hitcircleoverlay wouldn't be effective for EZ reading. So... that happened. And while I'm at it, there are couple teasers for my other upcoming skins!
Explanation
MyReadingSucks is a pretty controversial skin, but not as much as TaikoMania is.
We've seen a lot of gimmick skins, but none of them (except these two) affect gameplay directly. This is why they are controversial.
So here in this wall of text, I'm going to explain the origin of the idea behind this skin to sparkle.
Let's take a look at LuigiHann's taiko skin, specifically version 6.0. Looking at the osu!'s hitcircle, there are no animations there. However, scroll down to the taiko portion of this skin and we can see animations. To the overlay to be exact. Then, I thought: "Can I do this for standard? If so, how will it behave?". Well, I did that, but not what I was really expecting, like taiko mode shown. After that happening, I looked at Haskorion's skinning spreadsheet. Little did I know, the explanation specified allowed me to do something ridiculous.

And this is how MyReadingSucks was born.
Screenshots
Song Selection

Mod Icons

Ranking Screen

Gameplay

Section Pass/Fail

Pause/Fail Screens

Spinner

Skip Button
Download
Signature

[url=https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/651181][img]https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/HgB7GEZ.png[/img][/url]
reading is overrated lol
Makura
that's a nice skin right there
Mafham
It still makes things harder to read IMO, especially overlaps and anything with sliders or complex timing. I just wish peppy would fix this exploit, but he's already looking into making AR adjustable in osu!lazer so he's probably never going to fix it

Also may you please remove my name from the HP bar texture? I don't want to be associated with this exploit
-GN
to downloaders: please don't try to use crutches like this skin when playing reading maps
Kondou-Shinichi
tl;dr: use gn’s skin. it’s better
Minorsonek
Congratz you did skin which should help with reading while it has INVISIBLE slidertails so reading is 500% harder, gratz
Topic Starter
h3oCharles
Man, I never thought -GN would reply here owo

REPLIES

Mafham

Mafham wrote:

It still makes things harder to read IMO, especially overlaps and anything with sliders or complex timing. I just wish peppy would fix this exploit, but he's already looking into making AR adjustable in osu!lazer so he's probably never going to fix it
It depends on the map's AR I guess

Mafham wrote:

Also may you please remove my name from the HP bar texture? I don't want to be associated with this exploit
haha no problem :P

EDIT1: "exploit" :thinking:
According to the osu! rules:

Community Rules wrote:

Play fair. Using third-party utilities of any kind to get any sort of advantage is not okay. This includes things like macro programs, aim-assist programs, timescale modification, and so on. If a program is doing something to help you play the game that you should be doing yourself, it isn't okay!
It mentioned 3rd party software. Is This Skin a piece of external software? I don't think so. Therefore the word exploit is invalidly used here.

-GN

-GN wrote:

to downloaders: please don't try to use crutches like this skin when playing reading maps
Did you genuinely try it on reading maps? It might be caused by opaque hitcircles, I might look into this I guess.
And yes, it was supposed to be a joke skin. I didn't know that people would take it that seriously.

Kondou-Shinichi

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

tl;dr: use -GN’s skin. it’s better
what do you mean by better? It has a waaaay different feel than this one.
Better for reading? Sure, but that's because of opaque hitcircles

Minorsonek

Minorsonek wrote:

Congratz you did skin which should help with reading while it has INVISIBLE slidertails so reading is 500% harder, gratz
Like I said, this skin was supposed to be a joke skin. I didn't know that people would take it that seriously.

Note to self: Make transparent objects option and remove Mafham from scorebar
Kondou-Shinichi
oh by the way it's definitely harder to read
1. the "glow" from the circle is ultra confusing
2. slider path too dark
3. Combo color alternates per note, which is confusing, also not enough variety (only 2 color)
I think this may actually help in some cases (especially fast maps I guess), but maybe just make it more simple. It's confusing to the eye.
Topic Starter
h3oCharles

REPLIES

Kondou-Shinichi

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

oh by the way it's definitely harder to read
1. the "glow" from the circle is ultra confusing
2. slider path too dark
3. Combo color alternates per note, which is confusing, also not enough variety (only 2 color)
I think this may actually help in some cases (especially fast maps I guess), but maybe just make it more simple. It's confusing to the eye.
1. ok, gonna remove it then
2. fixed
3. hitcircles are red, blue are sliderstarts - depends on the maps' object placements

There will be a new object set on the next update
Mafham

h3oCharles wrote:

It depends on the map's AR I guess
Yeah, I'm not saying that this skin is objectively worse in every situation. There are a lot of situations where this skin is way way better than any non-animated alternative, like Cirno no Perfect Sansuu Kyoushitsu [Perfect Freeze], which is a map that contains no sliders. This is the main reason it works so well with this skin

h3oCharles wrote:

It mentioned 3rd party software. Is This Skin a piece of external software? I don't think so. Therefore the word exploit is invalidly used here.
True but peppy limited the hitcircleoverlay animation to 4 frames to avoid this kind of thing, it is clear that it was against peppy's intentions for animated skins to alter AR

Thank you for removing my name. The reason people are taking this seriously is because it destroys reading, one of the most fun and interesting ways for me to play this game is to compete on the EZ leaderboards, and that's true for a lot of people. It's not your fault for making this skin, there have been others to use this animation before, though I have to say this skin is one of the best uses of it that I have seen so far

With the way things are headed in osu!lazer it feels as though I'm fighting a losing battle though
Topic Starter
h3oCharles

UPDATE TIME!

Please check the OP post for an updated download and screenshots

Changelog
2017-10-10
+ New Hitcircle Design
+ Extra HC Overlay
+ Extra HC Numbers
- Removed Mafham (Personal Request)
* Moved Old HC Design to Extras
arwi74
Nice :D
Topic Starter
h3oCharles
Hi. I'm h3oCharles. Thank you, for using my skin.

Due to school, lazyness, procastination (basically my mentality just messed up) and an upcoming skin of mine (wink wink) despite of me making an update for each of my currently public skins, it will take me a while to finish them. And so, I hope I'll be able to finish these updates until 2017

For now, you can see my Progress list here

see ya next time!
Topic Starter
h3oCharles
UPDATE TIME!

Topic Starter
h3oCharles

UPDATE TIME!

how does one read xd
JOCKER133
How this work ?
Topic Starter
h3oCharles
updated download link, will take a look at other things later, screenshots might not be accurate because of what kind of changes i made between versions

if someone else wants to do screenshots for me, i'd greatly appreciate that