forum

Map categorization/tag based on what type of map it is

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +57
Topic Starter
Humanity
There was a similar thread to this (forum/t/28895) (about 8 years ago) and I didn't want to bump that so I made a new one, apologies if it will be marked as duplicate/invalid. Sorry also if I didn't word the title properly.

So the idea is to give mappers an option to "tag" or "categorize" their map based on what type of map it is.

detailed explanation
For example, "Stream" for, you guessed it, stream maps, "Aim" for jump maps (probably not the correct term, sorry), "Tech" for technical maps, "PP" for pp maps you get it. It could be shown before the title of a map in the beatmap lists, song selection screen, osu!direct. If not possible in the client, it could be color-coded (for example, purple for streams, red for aim, etc.) Mappers can add maybe a maximum of two tags? If it's both stream-y and jump-y, they can tag it as such.

I know there are already "tags",

that is a mapper can add tags to a map so searching it would result in that and if they wanted to, they could just add the "aim" or "tech" there but this one is a little more visible. This is so the player can easily see it and identify what kind/type of map it is.

would it even be useful?
For me, yes.

It would be interesting to know what kind of map a beatmap is when you haven't actually played it before. Personally, I am not fond of technical maps (because haha i suck at it) so it would be useful for me to be able to see the tag and think, "ah, so this map is a tech map. I won't bother downloading it." But it could also be used for, let's say, I want to improve at tech maps and so I'll go look for maps under the "Tech" category or those with the "Tech" tag.

problems/limitations
Problems that I can think of are maps with a lot of difficulties or those with GDs. Easy maps (1*-2*) don't exactly have streams or anything of the sort so it would be confusing for it to be under the "Stream" tag. And some mapsets have different mappers and they may have different styles of mapping so it would make sense if they don't all fall into the same tag/category. Maybe, for example, if majority of the mapset falls under a certain category, it will be tagged as that.

Also, you could maybe just play a map, realize that "oh, stream map" quit to menu then put it in a collection labelled "streams" (that's what I do anyway), but again it's about knowing the type of map before you download it.

Oh, yeah, and tagging/categorizing shouldn't be required, but a mapper can add the option I guess?
Caput Mortuum
Pretty useful, though the people in charge should have some written guidelines about the types first.
Topic Starter
Humanity

Eraser wrote:

Pretty useful, though the people in charge should have some written guidelines about the types first.
Yep, I think that BATs could approve/disapprove a tag or they could be the ones to tag the map.
Swerro
Which / How many categories are you thinking about? I categorize mine with these: Stamina(endurance), Stamina(longstreams), Speed, Technical, Spacedstream, Reading, Pattern, Jump, Fingercontrol, more probably. This list would probably differ to many people, I find that there's a big difference between 'pattern-aim' maps and 'reading' maps but you could also just throw it on the same pile since they also have similarities considering skill-requirement.

Would you also fit maps into multiple categories? https://osu.ppy.sh/b/55535 This map for example is really hard on the read, quite fast on the singletaps + bursts and has a ~175bpm deathstream in it. Or this: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/345189 you could consider it 'technical' but calling it 'speed' would also be comprehendable. Many inbetweeners.

Something I would suppose is beatmap packs: Have a group of well-experienced players make official beatmappacks for https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist so people can easily access and download a bunch of them in 1 go.
^Do you also think (something similar to) this idea would be more practical?
Topic Starter
Humanity

Swerro wrote:

Which / How many categories are you thinking about? I categorize mine with these: Stamina(endurance), Stamina(longstreams), Speed, Technical, Spacedstream, Reading, Pattern, Jump, Fingercontrol, more probably. This list would probably differ to many people, I find that there's a big difference between 'pattern-aim' maps and 'reading' maps but you could also just throw it on the same pile since they also have similarities considering skill-requirement.
The categories I'm thinking about are the main ones, like the more common ones. Like Marathons, Technical, Streams, Aim (or Jumps?), Speed/High BPM (maybe?) etc. Of course, having more categories is better imo c:

Swerro wrote:

Something I would suppose is beatmap packs: Have a group of well-experienced players make official beatmappacks for https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist so people can easily access and download a bunch of them in 1 go.
^Do you also think (something similar to) this idea would be more practical?
So, for example, the top 100, top 50 can vote for maps that can be put in a, say for example, Aim Beatmap pack? That seems like a good idea.
Xinnoh
I like the idea but considering how many beatmaps there are it's not too feasible to do.
+ What do you do when there are multiple diffs with very different styles? One might be stream but the other could be jumps.
+ What to do when it really doesn't fall into any category?
Ascendance

Sinnoh wrote:

I like the idea but considering how many beatmaps there are it's not too feasible to do.
+ What do you do when there are multiple diffs with very different styles? One might be stream but the other could be jumps.
+ What to do when it really doesn't fall into any category?
- maybe something like "mixed" or smth
- "undefined" idk

the idea seems cool but i think it needs to be regulated similar to how the QAT sets the genres on beatmaps or by making it so mappers can only set one after their beatmap is ranked. Too much potential for memes or dumb stuff. Kinda have concerns similar to sinnoh but just playing devil's advocate

+1 star for now
Tanomoshii Nekojou
suggestion:
Players: will set and vote what is the category/tag appropriate for the map.
Team Unknown: will approve if category/tag is legit or not.

supporting this!!
+2 stars for you :3