forum

[Proposal] Taiko ruleset draft (General)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Raiden
"Unreasonable" is too subjective, therefore → guideline.

It seems guidelines are highly underrated, they are supposed to NOT be broken unless exceptional circumstances are met. Which means most of the times you have to follow them anyway.
tatatat

Raiden wrote:

"Unreasonable" is too subjective, therefore → guideline.

It seems guidelines are highly underrated, they are supposed to NOT be broken unless exceptional circumstances are met. Which means most of the times you have to follow them anyway.
Hmm true. You should have valid reasoning for breaking a guideline.
Topic Starter
Raiden
While we were discussing some stuff, an issue was brought up: the 1/16 slider extension that is used to "patch" the known missing slider tick bug. Since ppy himself told us not to do this anymore, we are adding it as a rule for the General Taiko draft for the time being. Once the bug is fixed, this rule will no longer be in effect.

Added rule:

1. You must not wrongly snap sliderends to correct missing slider ticks. This behaviour is unintended and will be corrected in the future.

edit: it is also known that opening AiMod sometimes causes bugs, so we decided to add a guideline as well. Again, once the bug is fixed, the guideline will be nuked.

Added guideline:

1. Use AiMod with caution. It is known to cause bugs related to base Slider Velocity.
Kin
maybe add something like this aswell

1. Use AiMod with caution. It is known to cause bugs related to base Slider Velocity. Be sure to check your Slider Velocity in your difficulty's notepad after using AIMod
[/quote]
tatatat
custom combo colors shouldn't be used ever? add that as a rule? they're pointless.
Topic Starter
Raiden
@Kin: I do not think that is necessary as it is way too redundant. The statement "it is known to cause bugs related to base Slider Velocity" already compells people to check their base SV in the timing tab when they open AiMod for whatever reason. Checking in the .osu notepad is not compulsory.

@tatatat: why would you want a rule like that? no one ever uses combo colors in taiko - and even if they did, their behavior does not affect the editor nor the playability whatsoever.
Tyistiana
Excuse me,

And after I've read this, I think that it's okay for me everything, except the minor one.

Gameplay elements wrote:

Rest Moment/Break Time: A period of time without notes used specifically to allow the player to rest their hands and prepare for the upcoming patterns.
Maybe "Break Time" should be add here too since the word "Break Time" are more common to used than the word "Rest Moment"
If this draft aim to replace the content on osu!taiko-specific Ranking Criteria , so the common word should be add too, for the ease to let the newbie (including me) understand. Like Don/Red Note
Topic Starter
Raiden
Break time is used to refer to the actual break time, where there are no notes in the playfield for a considerable amount of time and where the letter of accuracy shows up. So break time is not appropriate since it is not a direct synonym to rest moment in taiko.

In any case, rest moment is actually more common than break time.
Nardoxyribonucleic
Rest Moment=Break≠Break Time
Tyistiana

Raiden wrote:

Break time is used to refer to the actual break time, where there are no notes in the playfield for a considerable amount of time and where the letter of accuracy shows up. So break time is not appropriate since it is not a direct synonym to rest moment in taiko.

In any case, rest moment is actually more common than break time.

Nardoxyribonucleic wrote:

Rest Moment=Break≠Break Time
Seems like I've misunderstand something, it's my bad. uwu

Thanks!
tatatat

Raiden wrote:

@Kin: I do not think that is necessary as it is way too redundant. The statement "it is known to cause bugs related to base Slider Velocity" already compells people to check their base SV in the timing tab when they open AiMod for whatever reason. Checking in the .osu notepad is not compulsory.

@tatatat: why would you want a rule like that? no one ever uses combo colors in taiko - and even if they did, their behavior does not affect the editor nor the playability whatsoever.
custom combo colors are wasted file space. ehh, its probably not important though.
Noffy

tatatat wrote:

Raiden wrote:

custom combo colors are wasted file space. ehh, its probably not important though.
having all combo colors set would be at most 200bytes added to the .osu filesize.
it takes one MILLION bytes to make a megabyte.
it would take over five thousand taiko difficulties with all eight custom combo colours set to waste a megabyte of space.

In conclusion, I don't think that's something to worry about.
Skylish
By default settings in the Edtior, Combo Colours should not be a worry.

I wanna suggest a topic about the usages of sliders and spinners.

> Tick Rate of slider would be 3 in the snappings of 1/3 and so on. Meanwhile, the spinner 'tick rate' is set as 1, in which every 1/4 beat will create a hit in the spinner.

Here's the contradiction, if a spinner is put exactly in 1/3 snappings, the spinner may be incomplete due to unfinished '1/4 snaps'.

For example https://osu.ppy.sh/s/557316 :

> I want to put a spinner in a 2/3 snap, expectedly it should display 4 hits under 1/3 snapping scale.

> However, under the default settings of 'tick rate' of spinner, 2/3 (<3/4) is counted as 2/4, hence displaying only 2 hits.

In general cases, we solve this issue by extending the spinner in purpose to 1/1 for fulfilling the 4-hits feeling. This could be a potential guideline about the usages of sliders and spinners.

Another topic wanna be discussed is the positioning of BG photo.

As of my modding experience, I have seen some mappers, especially rookies, are unfamiliar with the adjustment of BG position for a better visual effect, by editing in the .osu in notepad. Relevant concept and knowledge should be told inside the guidelines as well.

SV leniency is another impt topic. In high BPM (I would define it as BPM>200, or it needs another defination), the base SV of Kantan and Futsuu should be able to be exceptionals of current guidelines. A clearer statement about the leniencies of SVs in lower difficulties should be stated as:

Under high bpm difficulties, the base SV of Kantan and Futsuu could be lowered, for the sake of the readabilities of respective level players.

More precised values should also be advised, like Kantan = 1.00x Futsuu 1.20x under BPM=260 etc..
tatatat

Noffy wrote:

having all combo colors set would be at most 200bytes added to the .osu filesize.
it takes one MILLION bytes to make a megabyte.
it would take over five thousand taiko difficulties with all eight custom combo colours set to waste a megabyte of space.

In conclusion, I don't think that's something to worry about.
I know how math works... T_T
Topic Starter
Raiden

Skylish wrote:

By default settings in the Edtior, Combo Colours should not be a worry.

I wanna suggest a topic about the usages of sliders and spinners.

> Tick Rate of slider would be 3 in the snappings of 1/3 and so on. Meanwhile, the spinner 'tick rate' is set as 1, in which every 1/4 beat will create a hit in the spinner.

Here's the contradiction, if a spinner is put exactly in 1/3 snappings, the spinner may be incomplete due to unfinished '1/4 snaps'.

For example https://osu.ppy.sh/s/557316 :

> I want to put a spinner in a 2/3 snap, expectedly it should display 4 hits under 1/3 snapping scale.

> However, under the default settings of 'tick rate' of spinner, 2/3 (<3/4) is counted as 2/4, hence displaying only 2 hits.

In general cases, we solve this issue by extending the spinner in purpose to 1/1 for fulfilling the 4-hits feeling. This could be a potential guideline about the usages of sliders and spinners.
Spinners do not work like that, actually. They are dependant on how long it is as well as the OD of the map. In any case, it is not a rhythmic component of a map and therefore having a guideline for them that is not avoiding its visual interference with other gameplay elements seems completely trivial.

Skylish wrote:

Another topic wanna be discussed is the positioning of BG photo.

As of my modding experience, I have seen some mappers, especially rookies, are unfamiliar with the adjustment of BG position for a better visual effect, by editing in the .osu in notepad. Relevant concept and knowledge should be told inside the guidelines as well.
I may be corrected if mistaken, but in lazer osu!taiko will no longer have its upper side hidden and therefore backgrounds positioned like that will be pretty weird. I'd say this is not worthy of a guideline. I have been confirmed by ppy himself to not base anything off lazer. So this would be in first stance considered.

Skylish wrote:

SV leniency is another impt topic. In high BPM (I would define it as BPM>200, or it needs another defination), the base SV of Kantan and Futsuu should be able to be exceptionals of current guidelines. A clearer statement about the leniencies of SVs in lower difficulties should be stated as:

Under high bpm difficulties, the base SV of Kantan and Futsuu could be lowered, for the sake of the readabilities of respective level players.

More precised values should also be advised, like Kantan = 1.00x Futsuu 1.20x under BPM=260 etc..
It is a reasonable suggestion, however it would end up becoming redundant as you would need a concrete value for every single existing BPM that is not average. Consider that it is a guideline and that it may be broken under exceptional circumstances.

This topic is however tied to Taiko ruleset draft (Specific) so I don't know why you're directing your concern here :(
Topic Starter
Raiden
Double: closed for round 3 revision. We're getting close to that heart, guys! Thanks a bunch for the feedback.
Topic Starter
Raiden
Back again!

List of changes:

Guidelines (added)
  1. Avoid covering essential parts of your background with the taiko playfield. If this happens, consider altering the last zero in the .osu via notepad in the 0,0,"name_of_background.file_extension",0,0 line under the [Events] header. Positive values will lower the background while negative values will move it up.

Original draft is updated in the OP.

As the Specific criteria, we're putting this up for a potential last discussion till 18th of September, 2017 at 00:00 UTC.
tatatat
Why is there a link to alternative difficulty naming when no alternatives are allowed in taiko?
Topic Starter
Raiden
That's partially true. They are not "not allowed" in taiko as it is a General set of rules, but rather non-existant (and for good reasons). We'll either delete that line or edit the original post that it is redirected at in order to add our own customised names that we've intersubjectively developed during these years (e.g. Hell Oni).

Thanks for posting!
Okoratu
good point, will take that into consideration - the general concept stands for all modes though
Topic Starter
Raiden
As of today, the draft has been officially appended to the the osu!taiko section of the Ranking Criteria and can be found here!

Since this involves a lot of changes, we'll have the 6 month rule:
  1. maps that are submitted from this post onward will be handled according to the new criteria.
  2. maps that were already submitted may be handled according to the old criteria for the coming 6 months.
Once 6 months have passed, all maps will have to comply with this ruleset regardless of submission status!
pishifat
thread moved because finalized amendment