forum

What if top players tried physical training?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stickman92
Just an idea
Of course i know playing the game is effective for 99.99% of us but, for top players like jhlee and jakads and etc, there seem to be more of a physical ceiling for them.Considering if u reach a physical wall, then having trained muscles would help rather than untrained. Similar to how sport players, get strong from playing the sport but to be in best shape, they train their muscles also.
This can also apply to other game modes like taiko
SIDENOTE: Im not talking about the general player, im talking about people like jhlee and jakads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nzuCHilKl0&t=62s for example this song sern did
B1rd
I do 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, 10 KM runs every day.
PouletFurtif
What muscles to you want to train when your keyboard cap needs only 30~45g to get pressed

https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... -organisms
Full Tablet

PouletFurtif wrote:

What muscles to you want to train when your keyboard cap needs only 30~45g to get pressed

https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... -organisms
According to answers there having bigger muscles would increase movement's acceleration. Acceleration would be reduced by having more mass in the section of the body you move.

So, in theory:
  1. Having bigger forearm muscles would allow to move your fingers and wrist faster, but might decrease the speed you move your elbow (if the player plays by moving the elbow as well, for example, for vibro maps).
  2. Having bigger upper arms would increase the speed you move your elbow.
  3. Having bigger muscles overall increases the energy consumption required to move. I don't think the movements required for playing the game consume enough energy for this to be a concern, though.
Topic Starter
Stickman92
I thought pressing save draft would let me come back to post it later, but i dont know how to find it, time to rewrite it

http://bodybuilding-wizard.com/wp-conte ... natomy.jpg a diagram of forearm muscle i found on the internet, will show forearm plays a big part for both wrist and fingers

I wasn't talking about big muscles, i was talking about trained muscles. For example. Bruce Lee is famous for how fast he can move, he doesn't have big muscles but his muscles were trained to the limit.

I should go a bit more specific. Forearms are mainly for your wrist, hands, fingers. If your forearm is stronger, then that will have an indirect impact on your speed potentially, but mainly your stamina (which is how long you can maintain speed). Another important thing i forgot to mention is the muscles inside your hand.
There is an away from keyboard motion (AFK) and into keyboard motion (ITK) for your fingers. The ITK motion has the support of gravity to help push it down, and it is naturally a lot easier to push the finger down hard. The AFK motion on the other hand resist gravity, and is naturally a lot more weaker than the ITK motion). So If you were to train the muscles for the AFK motion then you would let go of the key faster, and have more time to hit the next notes. In terms of technique having muscles be relaxed is important. jeez, what a long comment I made
abraker
attang is pretty much the fastest you can get. 8k 100ms vibro for 100k pp anyone? It gets really retarded really fast.

What you really want to train at the lvl top players are is reading, tapping control, and finger independence.
Topic Starter
Stickman92
having trained muscles would improve an effect on reading and finger independence (can u explain to me what u mean by tapping control), incase you think i'm talking about vibro songs i'm not talking about that, (guessing vibro means tensing your muscles till it vibrates)

reading and hitting the notes are both correlated, Bobbias talked about it [GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania(1st page around 3rd paragraph in his reply) .

Having trained muscles would mean, it can handle more stress, go faster, last longer. This helps hit difficult patterns more accurately an example would be
★★6 End Time [TechnoBreak] FREQ+3 (approximately 1.2x speed) by jhlee0133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKlertTdqe0, around 1:16 when the streaming starts, jhlee manages to maintain his combo, because he is using his fingers, but at 1:20-1:25 the pattern gets too fast for him so he starts using his wrist a lot more to hit the notes, which results in mashing through the pattern. Also at other bits when he uses his fingers again, he hits half the pattern and he misses half of it which isn't mashign but it is overall follows the general flow (go ahead and slow down to 0.5 to see what i mean). personally my favorite bit of the video is looking at his hands at 1:35-1:37

You can simplify the stream pattern into chord, and you would recognise a lot more jack hammer notes. and it would be easier to read and hit. now break the chord into a godly difficult stream, and you would recognise that you have to move your fingers more independently than if it was a chord to be accurate.

finger independence, is mainly related to coordinating your muscles which at fast speed requires trained muscles, and reading is well, hitting patterns accurately/semi-accurately (understanding and hitting pattern are both part of reading). So trained muscles indeed is related to the stuff u mentioned
ReTLoM
hmmm ok i just start with Finger/Hand related work out today ... xD i will report when im buff (never will happen im weak as fuq)
Cuber
I've been rock climbing for a while so my fingers are super strong. My fingers getting stronger did not affect my mania skill in any way at all, but then again I'm not that good regardless sooooo...
Bobbias
I'm glad someone actually read what I was writing way back then lol. I think he means the physical technique when he mentions "tapping control". For example, the movements required for something like 123/567/234/567/123/456 where every chord involves a series of consecutive columns causes me to physically move my hands and fingers differently than say stairs, or streams with chords mixed in, etc. Being able to control how you hit different patterns to reduce the amount of stamina they drain or to increase your accuracy on them is kinda separate from the finger independence element to a degree.

I see finger independence as being a more... fundamental (I guess) element of skill. Without independence, you simply can'y hit certain patterns, even if you have a good technique, but even with bad technique, if you have the independence, you can at least hit the pattern (It might just take more effort and therefore stamina, and may result in worse accuracy on that pattern).

Being able to transition between wildly different patterns also involves technique control. I have a lot of difficulty with certain parts in Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - -SUIKINKUTSU- feat. Uehara Hiromi and orangentle / Yu_Asahina - HAELEQUINZ -the clown of 24stairs- simply because of the sudden transitions to different kinds of patterns that I can't handle well, even though in isolation I could hit either pattern (although not without some trouble).

I have my doubts that actually training muscles would have a particularly large benefit, since in my experience what USUALLY keeps people back is actually reading and technique itself rather than a physical limitation of their muscles. Even when you think you're able to read something, if it takes too long for your brain to understand what you're seeing you might feel like you are reading it (and you are) but you won't have enough time to actually respond. Similarly, if your technique isn't good enough you will feel slow, or lose stamina very quickly on patterns.

If anything, training would improve stamina, but I have my doubts on it improving actual finger speed by much.
Topic Starter
Stickman92
yeah, thats good point, i like ur definition of finger independence, explained what i was thinking better.

https://starfishtherapies.wordpress.com ... or-skills/ this explainss the process of learning patterns pretty well. Once ur autonomous with a pattern, having trained muscles would be effective for stamina. So for almost all the mania players we still in the associative stage for playing (understand pattern,still learning it and requires thought still).

This only applies for the best vsrg ET's. I believe they would be autonomous for most of the patterns they play, so having trained muscles to improve their stamina would be helpful, or atleast let them learn the difficult patterns. Bobbias, stamina does have an impact on speed but not directly. Stamina lets you go for fast for longer. You provide pretty good points. So ya, for normal players, just playing more will help, although u may wanna try to do HT on difficult songs to get a taste of more difficult patterns. The day i become ET (not anytime soon) these theories of mine shall be put to the test.

Mainly, i just don't believe that jhlee, and etc have reached their limit, just another skill wall. If u dont believe u will improve, then u wont. I believe jhlee,jakads, etc can still improve, it just takes more time and is more difficult which is partially why me make this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGfDCGrJ4A useful stretches, to avoid injuries and help ya relax ur hand
EtienneXC
Play more.

That's literally it.
abraker

EtienneXC wrote:

Play more.

That's literally it.
This is a thread about whether training fingers/hands to be stronger and faster will give any benefit, especially for top players like you, not about how to get better.
EtienneXC
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... p?t=141708: Probably the closest you're gonna get

Imo, I think it's simply trivial to dabble in stuff like this, especially for top players. There's a certain point where files require too many skillsets at once to figure out what muscles to train. You're better off just playing the game and gaining strength from the game alone. Muscle memory is also huge for this game and with physical training, you're not getting two-for-one sense of muscle memory+ strength from the mania. Maybe it helps for vibro stuff specifically we all know no one cares about that.

Also, that Jhlee example doesn't prove anything; he's simply just using various pattern manipulation tactics to maintain his lifebar.
Shoegazer
Lots of misconceptions here.

Stickman92 wrote:

I should go a bit more specific. Forearms are mainly for your wrist, hands, fingers. If your forearm is stronger, then that will have an indirect impact on your speed potentially, but mainly your stamina (which is how long you can maintain speed). Another important thing i forgot to mention is the muscles inside your hand.
Only true for players who utilise a wrist up technique, or rather players who do not rest their forearms on a surface. Players who play with their forearms rested utilise their finger extensors and only those muscles for one hand trilling motions. They do utilise their forearms or wrists, but that's only for jacking or any jack-based motion. Players who utilise a wrist up technique will use their forearms and other muscles for better power output (for one hand trilling motions and jacking motions), but forearm endurance is a notable concern.

abraker wrote:

attang is pretty much the fastest you can get. 8k 100ms vibro for 100k pp anyone? It gets really retarded really fast.
Not related to the conversation, but players like Conservation, SpaceGorilla and arpia97 can sustain jacking speeds that's far faster than 10 notes per second per column. You can realistically expect some of the fastest vibro players to do 225bpm octojacks (120 NPS) for 16+ chords after proper 8K conditoning.

Stickman92 wrote:

having trained muscles would improve an effect on reading and finger independence
No. You are confusing muscle memory with muscular endurance and power. Your definition of trained muscles is extremely ill-defined; saying that muscles are "trained to the limit" doesn't mean anything; muscles can be worked on in multiple ways. Hypertrophy (big muscles) is only one way. Strength/power building is another. Muscular endurance is another. In all three definitions, these do not contribute to reading in any way. Reading comes from muscle memory; the process of noticing a pattern and executing it accordingly in a small fraction of a second. This requires less of muscle conditioning and more of being able to process the pattern consistently (through multiple exposures) and hitting them with a certain level of precision as consistently as possible.

The video you linked is a video of exactly that. It shows nothing related to muscle conditioning by any means. It's him being able to process the patterning in some manner, and hitting notes in certain manners depending on which technique he believes has the highest probability of conserving his health. While this sounds particularly impressive, muscle memory that specific stems from playing a chart multitudes of times (because players do not memorise notes on the fly, people only know specific patterning and how to manipulate them through either careful analysis of the pattern or playing it a lot), and not representative of high-level play by any means.

I don't know anything about finger independence so I won't say anything about that here.

Stickman92 wrote:

yeah, thats good point, i like ur definition of finger independence, explained what i was thinking better.

https://starfishtherapies.wordpress.com ... or-skills/ this explainss the process of learning patterns pretty well. Once ur autonomous with a pattern, having trained muscles would be effective for stamina. So for almost all the mania players we still in the associative stage for playing (understand pattern,still learning it and requires thought still).

This only applies for the best vsrg ET's. I believe they would be autonomous for most of the patterns they play, so having trained muscles to improve their stamina would be helpful, or atleast let them learn the difficult patterns.
The claim that only the top players have fully mastered muscle memory is ridiculous. You acquire muscle memory regardless of skill level, it's just that the muscle memory that top players are trying to acquire are at of much higher speeds than ones of newer players. The procedure you linked will apply to every player, at any skill level. Maybe more experienced (not even top, just players who are exposed to almost every type of pattern out there) players will have an easier time learning how to hit certain patterns at 280bpm when they have "mastered" 260bpm than a new player learning how to hit said pattern at 80bpm, but saying that experienced players have mastered muscle memory completely because of this is silly. It's just easier to learn these patterns than if you're new, because you've learnt it before.

Bobbias wrote:

I have my doubts that actually training muscles would have a particularly large benefit, since in my experience what USUALLY keeps people back is actually reading and technique itself rather than a physical limitation of their muscles. Even when you think you're able to read something, if it takes too long for your brain to understand what you're seeing you might feel like you are reading it (and you are) but you won't have enough time to actually respond. Similarly, if your technique isn't good enough you will feel slow, or lose stamina very quickly on patterns.

If anything, training would improve stamina, but I have my doubts on it improving actual finger speed by much.
This is mostly the right answer. 85-90% of the reason why players plateau at a certain level is not because of muscular atrophy or just poor muscle conditioning, just poor reading or poor building of muscle memory. The 10-15% of the reason why players tank in skill is because of muscular atrophy.

There's no doubt that there is a strength/power and stamina component to rhythm games. Vibro is the best example of this; it's essentially the ability to tense up a certain muscle at a certain speed for a certain period of time. This certain speed is much faster than speeds required for every other skill in the game, which is why vibro has a clear upper limit for players. This is not to say that vibro can't be trained, vibro consistency (i.e. the ability you can sustain that speed) can be trained to the point where it feels as if your vibro speed has improved.

One hand trilling and wrist jacking motions can also be worked on if muscle memory isn't the problem (which is a problem that's usually faced by top players). I don't quite agree with the finger extensors exercise that Etienne linked, because not all players utilise their finger extensors, but reverse wrist curls can help considerably with sustained wrist jacking and even faster wrist jacking, though they have to be trained in different ways. Stamina can definitely be worked on if muscle memory isn't the problem too, either through again, finger extensor endurance training or just forearm endurance training.

But the problem for players (even at the top) is mostly an inconsistent execution of muscle memory more than anything. Most players I know, even top players, can one hand trill and wristjack speeds that are far faster than what they can realistically do in charts that tests one hand trilling. This is because of unoptimised muscle memory; or rather just muscle memory that does not match the player's actual maximum output. The only way to train muscle memory is to practice more in a deliberate manner. This involves mostly pattern exposure/processing and proper pacing of how you're going to expose yourself to these patterns.

That's not to say that stamina is entirely based on muscle conditioning either; stamina expenditure is also dictated by muscle memory. That explains why even lower-level players get tired, it comes from a misdirected exertion of power. You can realistically expect forearm/finger extensor endurance training would help with stamina (since it gives you more stamina to expend), but that's probably the extent of how useful training outside of rhythm games can be.
Topic Starter
Stickman92
ya, i misunderstood bout trained muscles improving reading. I was thinking from personal experience, when a pattern is physically easier, it also easier to read which u made me realize that doesn't make sense, cause reading same pattern, but more dense improves from exposure of the pattern and then tht improves ur muscle memory. Bout the finger independence thing, i was just thinking, faster fingers means playing the notes feels easier, so moving fingers independently is easier (which is wrong, moving fingers independently at faster speed is just muscle memory)

I had pretty bad wording, when i said "So for almost all the mania players we still in the associative stage for playing (understand pattern,still learning it and requires thought still)."
i meant to say, we are generally autonomous with the patterns we consider easy but still learning the ones we find tough. But me no realise that top players probably experience the same things.

ya, good point mostly, learnt quite a few things myself. Which is, physical training isn't really that useful, only for stamina it is, which is also muscle memory. Since most of it is literally just read the pattern, once u seen the pattern, u hit it. If the pattern is easy, u dont need to think about it. Then ur body will hit the pattern faster than u can imagine (as in ur faster by not thinking bout it).

Finger extensor training could be useful, although i would have no clue, no one really ever trains them at least to my knowledge, but im not an anatomy expert... Someone else might know?

I guess a useful question would be. How useful would at least 2-3 years of finger extensor training be, assuming u can already play lvl 100 o2jam songs? Training is kinda vague, so lets say resistance training in which i include the thumb, and i am not talking about vibro maps. hopefully someone knows hand anatomy.
ReTLoM
Personally i think train you arm muscles will be good for healthcare in the long term thats it
abraker

Shoegazer wrote:

Not related to the conversation, but players like Conservation, SpaceGorilla and arpia97 can sustain jacking speeds that's far faster than 10 notes per second per column. You can realistically expect some of the fastest vibro players to do 225bpm octojacks (120 NPS) for 16+ chords after proper 8K conditoning.
As someone who doesn't know what players there are in the VSRG community and capable of what, a list detailing well known people like the notable page osu! wiki has here would be helpful. Or if there is one, then I am unaware of it.