forum

[resolved] authentication fails when logging into the client

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
clayton
I haven't been able to log into the client for a few days now; Bancho says my account info is incorrect. I'm able to log into the website, osu!lazer, and IRC like usual

I've tried:
  1. Switching to cuttingedge, and switching back to stable
  2. Deleting my account info from the config file and entering in my user/password again
  3. Changing my password
    - This prompted my client to do the verification process again, and I was logged in for about 5 seconds before being disconnected
  4. Connecting via a different IP
edit 2017-09-17 also tried Death's suggestions and Nathanael's suggestion
edit 2017-09-19 tried using osu! on a different computer, but got the same result
edit 2017-09-27 tried allowing osu! through firewall and logging out of both websites (clearing session cookies, too). no luck :(
edit 2017-09-28 Death showed me this thread, tried everything but no changes in behavior

edit 2017-10-10 Resolved! osu!support reset my login sessions and password. When first resetting my password again, I still had the same issue. I changed it again to something shorter and alphanumeric, and this time it worked... not sure if that was the issue the whole time, or if it was just a coincidence. One of my friends says that it might've been something to do with my old password being exactly 32 characters, since that could be mistaken as an md5--- also not sure if the client or website would skip a hash because of that or not

osu! version: latest stable, cuttingedge, and fallback

There were no changes to osu! on my end between the days where it was working and it wasn't. I just opened osu! and got this error :(
Death
Try typing in your username and password in a different location and copy+pasting them in.
Try temporarily disabling your firewall.
Make sure you don't have the incorrect input language selected like this person: t/344801

If all else fails email accounts@ppy.sh
Topic Starter
clayton
Well shoot, none of that did the trick either :( thanks for the suggestions though

I think tomorrow I'll try it on a different computer so I can see if it's a local issue or not. I hope it's not an issue with my account
Nathanael
I experienced this before and one workaround is to log in at fallback version.
Death

Nathanael wrote:

I experienced this before and one workaround is to log in at fallback version.
Can't switching between other release streams and fallback cause osu!.db issues?
Topic Starter
clayton
well I did it anyways but I still get the same error, rip.
Topic Starter
clayton
also gives me the error on my laptop (other computer). I guess I will mail accounts about it then D:
Kondou-Shinichi
make sure you're using the same account info.
also make sure you are indeed logging into osu!bancho and not those alternate servers (will I get hit for saying the name)
check the HOSTS file to see if there's special exceptions
Venix
Try to logout from osu! and then from osu! website

Now wait a bit and then run osu! and log in.

If that doesn't work do the same but logout from new website instead (http://osu.ppy.sh/home).
tsusai
I have this issue yesterday, somehow I can login today.
I think this happen because you are still logged in-game on another laptop/PC somewhere.

Try to log off from every client laptop/PC.
Log off from old/new website will help too, I think.

Hope this help.
Topic Starter
clayton
tried everything suggested again, as well as what accounts@ppy.sh suggested (they linked me to this article). allowing osu! through windows firewall and logging out of all sessions didn't help, unfortunately. all tracer tests passed, but I don't have any network.log file in my osu! folder

I can't imagine that there's a computer with my account logged in... I've changed the password multiple times recently, and I only have access to two computers. however, I have been moving my main computer back-and-forth between homes. is it possible that connecting via different networks (but the same computer) is causing the issue? I've been able to test in both locations, and they produce the same result
Death

zelda102 wrote:

... but I don't have any network.log file in my osu! folder...
You need to be on Cutting Edge to have a network.log
Topic Starter
clayton
oh, thanks

"9/28/2017 3:09:54 AM: Request to https://osu.ppy.sh/web/bancho_connect.php[...] () successfully completed!"

come on bancho, tell me how you really feel!

I should probably mention that sometimes it does log me in for a very, very short amount of time before kicking me off. for just a fraction of a second I sometimes see the connected message before it instantly becomes "Disconnected." again