forum

Remove failure notice in multiplayer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Silence1020
Why should we do this?

The failure screen/notice is distracting. When you fail, the whole screen dims and a notice appears in the centre of the screen. This covers the appearing circles and sliders and only leads to more misses.

Although the fail screen can be considered as being useful- it tells you when you failed a map- I don't think it's needed; most of the time players know when they failed a map due to how many misses and 50s they procured in a short period of time.

What do you think? Is the failure screen worth it- it tells you that you failed but also leads to more misses- or should peppy get rid of it? Are there mistakes in my reasoning? Are there advantages to the fail screen that I'm not considering? Any feedback is appreciated.
Toxi
Personally, i don't find it distracting, but thats probably just me. I dont agree with doing away with it all-together, i think just making it toggle-able in setting would be better.
Sandy Hoey
Or maybe go away after a set period of time (say 5 sec)
Topic Starter
Silence1020

Toxi wrote:

Personally, i don't find it distracting, but thats probably just me. I dont agree with doing away with it all-together, i think just making it toggle-able in setting would be better.
That's a good idea. I think the possibility there should be to be able to toggle the ''You Failed' message and the screen dim separately. For example, the screen dim isn't as distracting so someone might prefer to leave it on whilst others might prefer to turn off everything all together or keep everything on.

What about a whole new different approach? What about removing the ''You Failed'' message and the screen dim and instead replacing them with a sound cue?
You could then choose any sound you'd like, add it to your skin folder and then it would play when you fail in multiplayer? Just like there is a sliderbreak sound you could set a sound to play in multiplayer upon failure.
Topic Starter
Silence1020

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Or maybe go away after a set period of time (say 5 sec)
The thing is, the ''You Failed'' banner does disappear after a couple of seconds but whilst it's there it can be in your way whilst you're trying to click circles.

What do you think of this idea:

''What about a whole new different approach? What about removing the ''You Failed'' message and the screen dim and instead replacing them with a sound cue?
You could then choose any sound you'd like, add it to your skin folder and then it would play when you fail in multiplayer? Just like there is a sliderbreak sound you could set a sound to play in multiplayer upon failure.'' ?
Toxi

Silence1020 wrote:

That's a good idea. I think the possibility there should be to be able to toggle the ''You Failed' message and the screen dim separately. For example, the screen dim isn't as distracting so someone might prefer to leave it on whilst others might prefer to turn off everything all together or keep everything on.

What about a whole new different approach? What about removing the ''You Failed'' message and the screen dim and instead replacing them with a sound cue?
You could then choose any sound you'd like, add it to your skin folder and then it would play when you fail in multiplayer? Just like there is a sliderbreak sound you could set a sound to play in multiplayer upon failure.
So you mean make it skinnable? thats a good idea, but sadly it probably wont happen as in the lazer client, almost everything is skinnable. So you'll probably have to wait until Lazer is released to change the fail thing
Pachiru
I agree with the Sandy's opinion, having it during all the period while you're in Fail mode, the small notice is pretty distracting, even if it's small. Some might not be distracted by this, but some beginners can be. So making it disappear after 3-4 seconds is more fair.