forum

Question About Improving in Mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
marxkerber
I started out as a 7k player, moved over to 4k and started playing 7k on and off, and now I'm trying to do 7k more again. The main problem I've had and the reason I switched over to 4k is that I really wasn't improving at all. So I'm curious, how did you improve? Did you try playing maps that were above your skill level that you could barely pass or play maps that you could S/FC? I'm also curious how you got used to using higher scroll speeds. I've been stuck at 23 scroll speed for 7k and 24 for 4k for a while now. Did you try and raise your scroll speed and then adapt to it or did you just eventually start to feel like your scroll speed was to too slow. Any replies would be appreciated!

EDIT: For clarification, I can S most 3*-3.5* and pass some 4-5* with about a B
twistedclever
This kind of question has been around. but anyway, if you're looking for an answer, try Bobbias' Tips: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/posts/6176095

Everyone has their own preference about which Scroll speed should they take. Me personally depends on the song's BPM. If it's around 165-175 i'd take 21-23. But if it's 175++ i'd take 19-20. Oh one more thing, try play with RANDOM mod as much as possible.

i recommend you to join this thread to get some insights about how to improve in Mania:
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/146615?start=unread
Bobbias
In the very early days, my scroll speed did start to actually feel a bit slow, but after a while, that feeling stopped happening and I started having to just push it up and then leave it on the new speed until I adapted. I made sure to not push myself while I was adapting to the new speed, and instead just picked stuff I could get a high A on or better until the new speed felt natural.

Personally, I feel like anything you struggle to get an A on, or do even worse, is basically practice. If something is so hard you can't pass it, the only thing it's practice for is reading, but it's still a kind of practice.

One of the key elements to practicing at this skill level though is finding out what your strengths and weaknesses are. What patterns you do well on, and what ones you struggle with. Then find maps that have those patterns and practice those (just mix them into your sessions. The key is just to not avoid playing them, even if you don't like the feeling of the patterns or don't enjoy how poorly you play on them).

Random mod is good because it will make some really awkward and uncommon patterns, but don't always play with it on, because there are some patterns you'll almost never see on random. Remember, with random in 7k, there are ~5000 different ways random can rearrange a pattern. The chances of getting the kind of patterns mappers actually use is pretty low, meaning if you only play random, you will actually not practice the most common patterns very often at all.