forum

Dodge the circles

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Eyu
(So, first of all, I want to apologize if it's in the wrong section.)

Hello everyone !

After seeing the Dodge the Beat contest, I asked myself why not a dodge the circles ?
Of course I don't know if someone made this before but, whatever

I got this idea like 3 hours ago and tried to make a test beatmap, here it is : https://osu.ppy.sh/s/657748
(It may not be in rythm, I asked people around and they say that it was not in the timing but on my pc it is.

BUT WHO NEEDS RHYTHM WHEN YOU DODGE ?

There is one rule actually : play with relax ^^

Yeah it's easy to dodge circles if you put yourself on the slider and dodge the balls (Woah there, a new idea) but for avoiding that, you need to put tons of sliders and make them hits constantly. Don't forgeit that this was a test ^u^
Aurele
I think I broke the whole thing as I can't get out of this screen, lol

Topic Starter
Eyu
It's like 2B played with No Fail, if you don't play in Multi, you won't be able to go outside :/
Catt
Yo, this map is super fun. I can't wait to see a longer and more polished version <3
Axaptice
Would it be cool for me to try making a map for this too? I'm interested :P
Topic Starter
Eyu
Of course! It'll be great to have others maps^^ After all, this is just an idea I got, you're free to do whatever you want!

I really think it's touhosu x)
7ambda
not long enough
johnmedina999
If you spectate someone playing this map, after it's over, your screen flashes indefinitely until you Alt+ f4.
Deva
This is surprisingly fun
PriestRSC
http://imgur.com/a/6JqLA

that's... actually super fun hahaha

EDIT: do more of these plz
Varler
Has anyone figured out a way to fill the out-of-bounds area with hitobjects? This concept would be really cool if you could prevent players from cheesing the map and hanging out over the dead zones on the sides.

I've tried messing around in the editor and the map's text file, but so far none of the following have worked for me:

1. Fill the areas with sliderends and sliderticks. (You can do it, but Relax fixates on one slider at a time to click on. It ignores any additional sliders until the one it fixated on is complete. This means that only one slider ball will actually need to be avoided at any given time, and the rest don't do anything.)
  2. Make the sliders really fast so they occupy as much area as possible, even if one at a time. (You can't make the slider go fast enough to prevent the player from hanging out in dead zones.)
  3. Fill the areas with hitcircles. (Even when manually editing the position in the text file, osu! will force the circle back into the grid, away from the borders of the screen.)
  4. Kindly ask players to play the map in windowed mode and Standard 4:3 resolution. (You can still cheat by chilling out in the corners, even at CS 0.)

I'm stumped. I really want to map something like this, but I also don't want to if the player can "cheat". If someone figures out a way to fill the dead zones with hitobjects, or eliminate the dead zones entirely, that would be amazing.
Axaptice

Varler wrote:

Has anyone figured out a way to fill the out-of-bounds area with hitobjects? This concept would be really cool if you could prevent players from cheesing the map and hanging out over the dead zones on the sides.

I've tried messing around in the editor and the map's text file, but so far none of the following have worked for me:

1. Fill the areas with sliderends and sliderticks. (You can do it, but Relax fixates on one slider at a time to click on. It ignores any additional sliders until the one it fixated on is complete. This means that only one slider ball will actually need to be avoided at any given time, and the rest don't do anything.)
  2. Make the sliders really fast so they occupy as much area as possible, even if one at a time. (You can't make the slider go fast enough to prevent the player from hanging out in dead zones.)
  3. Fill the areas with hitcircles. (Even when manually editing the position in the text file, osu! will force the circle back into the grid, away from the borders of the screen.)
  4. Kindly ask players to play the map in windowed mode and Standard 4:3 resolution. (You can still cheat by chilling out in the corners, even at CS 0.)

I'm stumped. I really want to map something like this, but I also don't want to if the player can "cheat". If someone figures out a way to fill the dead zones with hitobjects, or eliminate the dead zones entirely, that would be amazing.

You can literally add slidersout of bounds just by starting the slider in bounds on the edge and then drawing the rest of it out of bounds, like so. After that all you should need to do is add more sliders at varying SV's and your golden. You can even do ctrl commands on OOB sliders so if you wanna ctrl+g it or ctrl+j it to get different sliders going all at the same time then you can.
Varler

UnNVus wrote:

You can literally add slidersout of bounds just by starting the slider in bounds on the edge and then drawing the rest of it out of bounds, like so. After that all you should need to do is add more sliders at varying SV's and your golden. You can even do ctrl commands on OOB sliders so if you wanna ctrl+g it or ctrl+j it to get different sliders going all at the same time then you can.
I already tried creating multiple sliders out of bounds. This time, I tried doing it with different slider velocities like you said, but it still didn't fix the "one slider ball at a time" issue.

I'm using Relax and hovering over the mess of sliders out of bounds. I want it to start racking up slider tics and giving the player points regardless of where they are out of bounds (points are bad), but it doesn't do that. It only gathers the tics on one specific ball at a time instead of all the balls at once, rendering the other sliders useless for this purpose.
Axaptice

Varler wrote:

UnNVus wrote:

I already tried creating multiple sliders out of bounds. This time, I tried doing it with different slider velocities like you said, but it still didn't fix the "one slider ball at a time" issue.

I'm using Relax and hovering over the mess of sliders out of bounds. I want it to start racking up slider tics and giving the player points regardless of where they are out of bounds (points are bad), but it doesn't do that. It only gathers the tics on one specific ball at a time instead of all the balls at once, rendering the other sliders useless for this purpose.
I mean you kinda just gotta spam lots of sliders snapped to 1/16 for a little bit to the point where it becomes so impossible to deal with that the player doesn't even try. Course you could also make a specific skin that has playfield borders and then just tell the players to use that skin and adhere to the borders. (If you're gonna go the skin route maybe remove approach circles as well cause they're kinda pointless for this kind of map.)

Also I tried making a map but it turned into a mess, not gonna continue it cause the editor really doesn't like being used for this sort of stuff. osz for those interested.
Varler
I tried experimenting some more and found something that almost works. So close!

My test map: https://puu.sh/xiH00.osz

Slider velocity is also affected by BPM: a faster BPM means faster sliders. I found a song with 137 BPM and told osu! that it's actually 8768 BPM (137 * 64). Then, I made a bunch of really fast, really long sliders with their heads starting in the play area (they must start within bounds), and their tails occupying the dead space outside of the play area. My hope was that the slider ticks and slider ends would get hit by relax and add score to punish cheating.

No slider overlaps another in the timeline, which evades the "one slider at a time with Relax" issue I mentioned before. I manually bumped SliderTickRate up to 8 in the .osu file for more chances at hitting slider ticks when attempting to cheat. Not sure if it actually does anything beyond SliderTickRate 4. I also manually changed it to CS 0 in hopes that bigger circles would be easier to fill up dead space with.

I can play my map with relax, hover over the mess of sliders, and hear many ticks get hit, which is good. Unfortunately, the ticks aren't adding any score, which defeats the whole point of creating these weird sliders in the first place. Also, I can't figure out what the conditions are for a slider to give the player a 50 instead of a miss. Does anyone know why either of these issues are happening?