forum

[Question] How can I become better at osu!mania 4K?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bonorose
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this thread with the sole question of - How can I get better at 4K ?

I was away from osu!mania for a long time and even before that at my peak I was able to play 3.5ish maps with B at most, at around 85-90%acc. However, my friend who was always in front of me rankwise even back then didn't like the way I was playing.

Let me explain how I'm playing, I know this is not a preffered way to play:
  • I do completely normal everything, no skin, no size change on a 16:10 2560:1080 monitor.
    Only thing I have changed is the ms - my personal rythm tends to be around 5-15ms faster
Other than that I could say that hard points for me are long stairs, more as a question of eye stamina, I can't follow them and the fact that I tend to put too much force when pressing which ends up in my fingers starting to hurt after 10-15 minutes of playing (right now a single 3 map will do it).

Can you please give me some tips from where to start to get back into shape ? I want to get to 4 - 4.5 star maps, nothing more than that or competative.
Also keyboard wise I use a Razer Blackwidow X, so Razer Green switches.
Vladimir Puchin

bonorose wrote:

I'm writing this thread with the sole question of - How can I get better at 4K ?
First, I believe that roughly all that people will tell you to do is to play more. In general, play more songs, play unranked, play unsubmitted, play different difficulties. Play stuff that you can barely pass but don't spam on.

bonorose wrote:

Let me explain how I'm playing, I know this is not a preffered way to play:
  • I do completely normal everything, no skin, no size change on a 16:10 2560:1080 monitor.
    Only thing I have changed is the ms - my personal rythm tends to be around 5-15ms faster
You mean change the universal offset or song offset? If it's universal offset, don't change regularly.
AFAIK, osu! registers key strokes early or late depending on the game framerate, so go with 720p fullscreen mode no effects for minimum latency.
You might want to try a more "pro" skin as the default skin, while I think you can still improve with it, will make your improvement much slower. Furthermore, set the column-width to something around 60. The higher the number, the "fatter" the notes and the slower they seem to your eyes. 64 seems to be the favorite setting of a lot of people, personally I prefer something slimmer, around 56.

bonorose wrote:

Other than that I could say that hard points for me are long stairs, more as a question of eye stamina, I can't follow them and the fact that I tend to put too much force when pressing which ends up in my fingers starting to hurt after 10-15 minutes of playing (right now a single 3 map will do it).
I don't know any remedy for reading long stairs, or as you play harder songs, long streams, other than playing more. Play marathon and medley maybe?

bonorose wrote:

Can you please give me some tips from where to start to get back into shape ? I want to get to 4 - 4.5 star maps, nothing more than that or competative.
Also keyboard wise I use a Razer Blackwidow X, so Razer Green switches.
Go here and pick up some maps. Usually maps with high favorites are good. But sometimes maps with 0 fav are also good, so... your choice.
Yyorshire
the classic
play more
aitor98

Yyorshire wrote:

the classic
play more
[Crz]Player
dude you should ask 'How can I improve faster than others at ous!mania 4K'

it's what you really want to know, isn't it :P
Exarian
Just keep playing with your own preferred settings and I believe anyone can S 4.5* maps in a few months. Speed and reading should not be major problems yet.
Topic Starter
bonorose
@Vladimir Puchin

What do you have in mind for a more "pro" skin? I've tried playing with StepMania, I can't really say I like the feel of it. Have tried some other skins, but always return to default because of the same problem - not feeling okay-ish. Maybe it's just me not wanting to change, maybe I don't really like their feel.
Bobbias
Ok, so here are some tips:

Skill in rhythm games is usually broken down into a few categories:

1. Speed - Raw finger speed. This generally improves over time, but there are ways to improve it via playing techniques. For example, focusing on pressing lightly will help you improve speed faster if you can successfully reduce the amount of force you press with.
  2. Control - Your ability to handle patterns that require particularly awkward/difficult patterns (based on the physical requirements of how your fingers have to move. All patterns are not created equal when it comes to difficulty of control.)
  3. Reading - Your ability to read patterns and react fast enough to hit them correctly. Most players without a lot of experience in rhythm games will blame other problems when the real issue is reading. Just because you "understand" a pattern when you see it doesn't mean you're reading it fast enough to play it. If it takes too long to read, you will play late or even make mistakes, even though it feels like you completely understand what the pattern is.
Of course, there are certain kinds of patterns that stand out to players when they play (such as jacks, rolls/stairs, jumptrills, etc.), and you might have a problem with specific kinda of patterns too.

The best way to practice is to try to identify what your weaknesses are, and practice maps that force you to play the patterns you're weak against. But be careful, don't just play a single map over and over to try to pass the specific pattern in it. Identify what kind of pattern it is, and practice different maps that have that pattern. Practicing the same map too often will make you memorize it. When you memorize a map, you will think you're improving because your scores get better, but when you try a different map with the same kind of pattern, you will not do as well, because you didn't learn the pattern, you learned the map.

Of course, don't spam practice on the same kind of problem every single song you play, just try to remember to play a few maps every session that have the kind of patterns you are struggling with. Have fun, play easy stuff for accuracy, and play hard stuff for practice, and play whatever you like most of the time.
Vladimir Puchin

bonorose wrote:

@Vladimir Puchin

What do you have in mind for a more "pro" skin? I've tried playing with StepMania, I can't really say I like the feel of it. Have tried some other skins, but always return to default because of the same problem - not feeling okay-ish. Maybe it's just me not wanting to change, maybe I don't really like their feel.
This you gotta trial and error. Download skins, test with different settings until you find something that works for you.
This is a good place to start.
Bobbias
Here's an o2jam skin you can try. it's very simple, and not very different from the original, but I feel like it's easier to read than the standard skin, because the colors are more visible. It can be hard to tell pink from white, which can slow down your reading. This skin uses white and blue, and the center column on odd keys is yellow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgy4wepd3309 ... +final.osk