forum

Best pen nib for dragging

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Asop
I have always hovered my pen but have been interested in trying dragging. My pen nib is super worn down however and is unusable for dragging as it is not a smooth drag at all. So my question is what pen nib replacement I should buy? I don't know anything about nibs so I don't know if I should just buy standard ones or flex nibs or whatever else. I have a CTL-480 tablet.

Thanks for any answers.
Akanagi
I drag and just use standard pen nibs. Pretty sure everyone else does.

Also, I think both the CTH-480 and the CTL-480 come with replacement nibs.
Turn around your tablet, and open it (right where the blue Wacom label sits) if you haven't. There should be 3 replacement nibs inside the clip.

That small-sized hole beneath the clip is used to pull out the worn out nib.

Just in case you didn't know and didn't already use up the extra nibs. Otherwise just buy the standard nibs.
Topic Starter
Asop
Oh I didn't know that it came with replacements, I just swapped one in. Thanks for the tip.

Is it supposed to make a scratching sound when you drag?
Sandy Hoey

_Asop wrote:

Thanks for the tip.
Ha, I get it xD

And it probably isn't good of you can hear the scratching. That means that you are damaging the surface of the tablet and that will make it really hard to drag when there are ruts in the tablet. Either ease up on the pressure or hover again. Or just deal with the scratches
Akanagi

_Asop wrote:

Oh I didn't know that it came with replacements, I just swapped one in. Thanks for the tip.

That's hard to judge because "scratching" is very vague.

Since you didn't really drag on your tablet before (How did your pen get worn then, though?) I doubt you already worn out your entire tablets surface.
I have the same model (just CTH instead of CTL) and I get a scratching sound when dragging as well.
If it sounds like or very close to drawing on more solid paper then yes, you're okay.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you do feel inconsistent friction / velocity or anything like that. The sound of "drawing / scratching" is normal.
Trust me, you'll see your tablet surface being worn down before you'd hear anything weird. My one for example has a dark ring in the middle from all the spinning and the time I used more pressure on the pen, yet my tablet still works perfectly fine. (Using it for ~3months, always dragging)
Topic Starter
Asop
It got worn out from drawing.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the surface is already damaged or something, but when I drag the cursor movement is not very smooth. It gets stuck a lot and I don't know if the pen is actually stuck there or if it is just the tablet misreading it or something. Either way I guess I'll keep hovering for now.
Akanagi

_Asop wrote:

It got worn out from drawing.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the surface is already damaged or something, but when I drag the cursor movement is not very smooth. It gets stuck a lot and I don't know if the pen is actually stuck there or if it is just the tablet misreading it or something. Either way I guess I'll keep hovering for now.

It could be actually worn out but I doubt it unless you've been using it for a long time now.

If it isn't just stucking but maybe just feeling laggy you might want to try to get new drivers and download "FixMyPen"

Without the latter the gameplay with a pen can feel really sluggish because of the stabilizer features, maybe that's why it behaves the way it does for you. (I think that would affect hovering, too, though.)
If that doesn't do anything or you already did all of this then there's only the option to hover for now I guess.

If your pen is stuck and suddenly beams to a new position it indicates an issue with the tablet not reading the input correctly, either because the pen is out of range (can't happen when dragging) or the area or pen is messed up.
If it just feels sluggish it's usually connected to the stabilizing features or certain driver issues. The "FixMyPen" tool usually fixes most problems with input lag.

Otherwise don't forget to press F10 to disable mouse buttons (includes dragging counting as clicking) and try to toy around with Raw Input on / off and see if that makes any difference.
Nattsun

_Asop wrote:

You may use way too much force. The tablet pen is not like your regular pen, it notices the movements even if you don't push it down. I rarely play tablet, but when I do I only "scratch" the surface if I spin to win. Taping the nib may help you out lol
lukegotjellyfis
I need one badly. My playstyle is hover and drag and after a month a good 2mm of the nib is gone.