forum

Stuck on what to do from now on.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Disregarded
Hey guys,

So basically, I've been playing for a while now, doing stuff, playing osu, coming back after a year break from the game.
I know I'm meant to enjoy the game and stuff, but I really want to know what I should really do from now on.

In my mind, I feel as though there are a couple of different paths I could take: just going forward right now, playing nomod, or switching it up- you know, learning DT (reading high AR) or playing HD (learning that, cuz I'm pretty bad at it) or just playing HR n stuff. I know I'm meant to enjoy the game, but I do take pleasure in gaining pp, it gives me some sort of satisfaction to know I'm improving... I've thought about it for a while- tried to get good at streams so I could be a stream-farmer but I don't know.

I have a friend who is overtaking me by spamming DT- but I wonder is this really the best choice for me? I've also noticed that a large majority of top players are all DT-farmers, or stream farmers....
What do you guys think my first step should be? Working on my DT? My streams (cuz I can't even reach 200bpm rn) or reading HD? Which should be my priority. After coming back from my break I had a HUGE spike in improvement (I was 2.5k pp and after like 2 months im like 3.5k), but right now I'm actually losing ranks. Sure, it hasn't been long since I came back, but for the past couple of weeks playing around I feel like im not achieving anything.

Tips? or general advice? anything i shud work on particularly? Im a pretty average player so idk.
7ambda
  1. HD (balance w/ nomod)
  2. DT if you find it fun
  3. Use HR VERY sparingly
Topic Starter
Disregarded

F1r3tar wrote:

1. HD (balance w/ nomod)
  2. DT if you find it fun
  3. Use HR VERY sparingly
Lol what about DT + HD?

i find DT is good for me because I can't really focus for long periods of time. like i guess I can focus hard, but not really for a prolonged period of time.. idk thx for help
Seethe
I suggest going for nomod with the use of HD based on your liking. But try to stay away from HR as it will mess with your overall balanced performance. It's good to be consistent with a good accuracy on nomode first and then following it with DT sometimes if it's enjoyable for you. Then you should go for HR.
markii
you don't have the acc to really be thinking about mods, play slower maps and really listen to the music, sometimes it helps me to play for a while without hitsounds, but it depends on if the beatmap is over mapped or not, sometimes maps have streams for no reason (not often) and they are hard without hitsounds.
Buster
You should farm top 50 ranks :)
N0thingSpecial
I think the problem is coming back to this game after you left the game for 1 year, so now I suggest you leave this game again and live a fulfilling life
repr1se

Disregarded wrote:

Hey guys,

So basically, I've been playing for a while now, doing stuff, playing osu, coming back after a year break from the game.
I know I'm meant to enjoy the game and stuff, but I really want to know what I should really do from now on.
I'm at the same spot actually.

In my mind, I feel as though there are a couple of different paths I could take: just going forward right now, playing nomod, or switching it up- you know, learning DT (reading high AR) or playing HD (learning that, cuz I'm pretty bad at it) or just playing HR n stuff. I know I'm meant to enjoy the game, but I do take pleasure in gaining pp, it gives me some sort of satisfaction to know I'm improving... I've thought about it for a while- tried to get good at streams so I could be a stream-farmer but I don't know.
That's good. I'm doing the HDHR route. Rohulk said this: "Play for skill and PP comes with it, play for PP and skill may not come with it"

I have a friend who is overtaking me by spamming DT- but I wonder is this really the best choice for me? I've also noticed that a large majority of top players are all DT-farmers, or stream farmers....
There's a difference between PP farm DT and "real" DT. PP farm DT is when you do Normal/Hard+DT. The jumps are basic and the streams are short, you're basically playing a 4.5* nomod with OD9/9.5. "Real" DT is 5*+DT, and where DT gets too hard for most people. I can't even do that. Check your friend's scores. Is he playing Normal/Hard+DT or Insane/Extra+DT?
What do you guys think my first step should be? Working on my DT? My streams (cuz I can't even reach 200bpm rn) or reading HD? Which should be my priority. After coming back from my break I had a HUGE spike in improvement (I was 2.5k pp and after like 2 months im like 3.5k), but right now I'm actually losing ranks. Sure, it hasn't been long since I came back, but for the past couple of weeks playing around I feel like im not achieving anything.

Tips? or general advice? anything i shud work on particularly? Im a pretty average player so idk.
  1. Hit Accuracy: 94.16%
I see a couple of DT scores in your top plays.
I'll be completely honest here, and you probably won't like it.
I don't think you have a foundation in Osu's mechanics. It's reflected in your accuracy. You should continue with nomod until you get better accuracy and fill the top scores with FCs. These two stats tell you if you can
  1. hold combo, and
  2. hold accuracy
which are essentials for the game and are indicative of your overall mastery of the map.

200BPM streams are just about the average speed once you get to higher star difficulties, so yes you need to work on that. Don't do HD -- you should be able to nomod acc before you touch HD. With your acc you're basically guessing as to when the notes are pressed, and with the lack of FCs you're also guessing the location of the notes. HD will make you guess even more. DT will make you spam. If you can't hit notes on nomod, don't try DT. Keep on nomod until you have a better mastery of the game. You should get Osu!Supporter and download maps through Osu!Direct. You're at the stage where the maps you need to be playing are included in most mapsets, so download more maps and play them.
Xirmith
Since you came back from playing the game, I'd recommend using Tillerino just to get some maps to play. Another thing you could do is join Multi's and just play with people there, it personally helps me with warming up along with seeing new maps. If you want to start playing DT I'd say that you should start playing 2-3 star maps with DT. Oh and listen to what repr1se.
I Give Up
Play songs you enjoy listening to that is the only way you can truly enjoy the game.
Topic Starter
Disregarded

repr1se wrote:

Disregarded wrote:

I see a couple of DT scores in your top plays.
I'll be completely honest here, and you probably won't like it.
I don't think you have a foundation in Osu's mechanics. It's reflected in your accuracy. You should continue with nomod until you get better accuracy and fill the top scores with FCs. These two stats tell you if you can
  1. hold combo, and
  2. hold accuracy
which are essentials for the game and are indicative of your overall mastery of the map.

200BPM streams are just about the average speed once you get to higher star difficulties, so yes you need to work on that. Don't do HD -- you should be able to nomod acc before you touch HD. With your acc you're basically guessing as to when the notes are pressed, and with the lack of FCs you're also guessing the location of the notes. HD will make you guess even more. DT will make you spam. If you can't hit notes on nomod, don't try DT. Keep on nomod until you have a better mastery of the game. You should get Osu!Supporter and download maps through Osu!Direct. You're at the stage where the maps you need to be playing are included in most mapsets, so download more maps and play them.

Thanks, my top plays are actually full of FC's, but there are a couple in there that I choked at the very end :')
Im very aware of my lack of accuracy!! but yeah, I don't know. Like the fundementals are cool, but to be honest I really hate on working on accuracy :') its just not enjoyable. I wanna challenge myself with fast paced, impressive maps instead of grinding it out.
but yeah I might take ur advice and stay arway from DT. but hidden wise, I think Id take on the challenge!!!! im not really looking to be the best or anything, just to have fun and I think spamming maps to get high acc is no fun at all, and I cant understand the people who retry because they get 97% acc or something stupid :')

EDIT: also, doesnt playing HD make me have to listen to the beat more in order to hit the note, thus improving accuracy or is that just me
Prey0491
Hello fellow Aussie!
I'm sort of similar, just played on and off on nomod for years. And recently once my accuracy hit ~99% I moved up to trying Insane maps and Hard +HD. Definitely freshened up the game for me :)
It was hilarious trying out Insane maps for the first time for real, would often end up laughing my butt off at how bad it was, or being pleasantly surprised upon finding a relatively easy one. Play songs you enjoy over and over and push the difficulty up whenever you can to get better.