forum

How do I create beautiful/recognizable patterns?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Stefan ]
How do I make something special so people will favor it?
I mapped in wander for a long time.
Yet, even I, didn't appreciate the creations of my own.
How are others going to like it?
How do I make a map unique?
Alchyr
Keep mapping, look at other maps, look at mapping tutorials (Pishifat's on youtube are pretty good), and keep mapping.
Did I say keep mapping? Because you should do that.
Your first 5 maps will suck, and the 10 maps after that probably will too (and maybe some more after, it depends on how much effort you put into each individual beatmap). It will take a lot of practice to make a map you'll be proud enough of to call it a "good" map.
mindmaster107
I think you mean how to make good patterns and use them for each song you map.

Unless you know what you are doing, stick with traditional patterns, which is following circular flow and alternating for each measure/change in music, and breaking it in intense sections.
Again pishifat's video describes circular flow perfectly, but he doesn't explain how this applies to patterns.

Lets look at a star pattern for example to see what makes a pattern good, and in what cases.
Analysis
[Pros:]
It is a easily recognizable shape, and I hope you learned about shapes in primary school.
It follows circular flow. Each object is placed clockwise/anticlockwise of the previous one.

Ok sorry this exact star goes clockwise. The arrows I made are a tiny bit misleading bu you get the point.

[Cons:]
If it isn't exactly the same (not counting size), it will easily be recognized differently. This means it isn't a very flexible pattern, so it is hard to do spacing emphasis on it.
This pattern is overused in the past, so it may not be very interesting.

[Conclusion:]
The star is a good pattern for a calm section, and you can use sliders for filler to have flexibility in rhythm.
The reason it is good for calm sections is because it is piss easy to read, and follows flow perfectly, so breaking flow for intense sections feels special.
But due to it being inflexible, this pattern is not very easy to crowbar into a fast/ intense section.

I guess without some modifications.
See Gangsta diff for an example

Here is another example. Take the B&F Sliderbased Jump.
Analysis
[Pros:]
Since the triangle is overlapping the slider, the pattern is read unconsciously while playing the slider, so it supports reading very complex patterns. This makes it very flexible.
This pattern can have different shapes while staying basically the same. You can change spacing, and SV and Slider shape for emphasis, while keeping it readable.

[Cons:]
This pattern is not suitable for low difficulty, as overlaps are confusing.
The freedom of variation makes it hard to keep coherent and consistent to newer mappers.
This pattern forces flow to be cut prematurely, so it is not a use-in-any-case pattern and must be used when the song calls for it. When I mean cut, I do not mean change direction. This pattern simply is really hard to keep circular flow (Marked in green), since the slider suggests the next object follow it's visual flow (Marked in yellow going off screen). Instead, most players snap directly to object 2 (Marked in red).

[Conclusion:]
This pattern is one that I personally use due to it being able to match many rhythms I map to. Understanding the sudden acceleration of flow/snapping movement here is important to make a coherent map, which uses flow effectively.

Really, you can make up your own patterns as long as you keep in mind the consequences of your pattern.