forum

Questions about Taiko

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Realmas
Hello there.

First, if I shouldn't have created a thread for that, sorry.
So I'm a noob at Taiko, but I would like to start playing it to at least have a pretty decent level. So I have a few questions :

• What should I know about mods in Taiko ? Should I stick with nomod, or playing HR/DT early isn't a problem ? (EZ ?)
• Are converts good for practice ? And same for Taiko only diffs ? I heard that converts in Taiko are overweighted, is it true ?
• Should I try to fully alternate since I'm still a beginner ?
• Is retrying basics patterns useful to learn basics, or is it better to simply play a bit of everything to get used to them ?
• Is passing maps rewarding in Taiko ?

Thanks in advance ! ^~^

EDIT : And are the controls importants ? Like I play with kddk on sd45, does that change anything ?
Edgar_Figaro
Hello Realmas and glad to see people taking an interest in playing Taiko :D

In regards to your questions just to give some bullet point answers

1. I'd say you should stick with nomod until you can play 5*+ maps. Although if you want to experiment with mods it's not a bad thing, but nomod should be the bread and butter of what you play till you know most the Taiko patterns well.

2. Converts in Taiko are usually pretty bad for improving in Taiko as they don't really teach patterning. Although easy auto-converts can be useful for learning drumrolls. Taiko specific are better for improvement

3. If you want to full alternate play that way, if you want to single tap and full alternate for streams you can do that as well. Many pro Taiko players who play either way. It's better to learn one way and stick with it. Trying to re teach your hands down the road will just be a long painful experience.

4. It's fine to either retry maps to learn a specific patterns you struggle with or play a bunch of maps to learn a variety of patterns. Really is up to you how you want to learn.

5. If you enjoy it then yes :D

6. Just use whatever controls at most comfortable for you to play
FlamingRok
In terms of those questions, I agree with most of what edgar said just now, but a few additional points/arguments against it.

First, I'd advise looking at the TBT Project [Training Manual For Taiko Beginner v2] if you ever get stuck on certain patterns in the future. It does a great job suggesting maps that pertain to the lessons and the lessons aren't bad either, based off of the official Taiko no Tatsujin games. It's where I learned how to play dkkdkkd, and just how I overall got a bit more practice on other patterns too.

Also, converts aren't all bad. A good majority of them will be too convoluted and badly converted for Taiko, but if you find the right maps, they can be excellent mono-color stream practice (particularly don but).

The whole playstyle thing I agree with. It's similar to standard on Tablet vs Mouse. Whatever's best for you works out in the end. And of course same thing applies to ddkk/kkdd vs kddk.

Welcome to Taiko, hope you enjoy your stay!
Raiden

WELL THEN
Topic Starter
Realmas
Thanks for the answers guys ! :D

But I have another question, is ddkk or kkdd better than kddk ? Yeah it might be a preference like mouse and tablet, but in this case, tablet is "considered better", even if it's not always true. Does one playstyle help more than another in the progression ?

Raiden wrote:

WELL THEN
Uh, yeah it's true, but I want to play it seriously now, because I guess the beginning is the hardest part on learning it, and you can't enjoy it if you play really easy maps. ^^
roufou
ddkk is easier to learn but kddk is better at high rank.
Surono

agu wrote:

ddkk is easier to learn but kddk is better at high rank.
I belive ddkk player are good to hit anything but" ouchh!!" at accuracy? kddk easier in my opinion bcus fingers movement are same as hit overlay at gameplay. but as kddk.. I cant hit pattern of Shinsekai map, even I can read the pattern...
tkdLolly

Realmas wrote:

Hello there.

First, if I shouldn't have created a thread for that, sorry.
So I'm a noob at Taiko, but I would like to start playing it to at least have a pretty decent level. So I have a few questions :

• What should I know about mods in Taiko ? Should I stick with nomod, or playing HR/DT early isn't a problem ? (EZ ?)
• Are converts good for practice ? And same for Taiko only diffs ? I heard that converts in Taiko are overweighted, is it true ?
• Should I try to fully alternate since I'm still a beginner ?
• Is retrying basics patterns useful to learn basics, or is it better to simply play a bit of everything to get used to them ?
• Is passing maps rewarding in Taiko ?

Thanks in advance ! ^~^

EDIT : And are the controls importants ? Like I play with kddk on sd45, does that change anything ?
1. Personal choice really.

2. Another reason why you shouldn't practice converts is because they usually have ridiculous SVs when they get translated from standard to taiko, which really is more of a challenge than practice. Some of them are indeed overrated (hi Sin and Techno and Rising Hope etc.)

3. Sure why not?

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

play that way, if you want to single tap and full alternate for streams you can do that as well. Many pro Taiko players who play either way. It's better to learn one way and stick with it. Trying to re teach your hands down the road will just be a long painful experience.
I'm still singletapping... Guess what I'm trying to do to improve my play :(

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

a long painful experience.
welp

4. Practically speaking, you need to know the basic patterns (triplets, quintuplets, and then duplets, quadruplets perhaps in that order) good enough so that you can play them without thinking. This is essential because they appear in the majority of maps and they make good foundation for streaming.

5. SS even more so ;)

6. For keybinds just suit yourself; place your hands where they feel most comfortable to you.

:)
Raediaufar
Just answer based on my own experience

1. For mod I recommend play with nomod first, HR is good if you want to train your accuracy. HD is personal choice, I myself don't really good on it and don't use it often.
2. Converts are no no no, except you wanna some pp on overrated star convert map. But I don't recommend it, it's bad.
3. Full alternate will be painful at first, but you will find it really useful after you on oni level. For single tap player like me, I need to train my finger again to be good on alternate. Also it will help if you want to play DT coz high bpm is painful to single tap
4. Yes, I train on specific pattern to be better on alternate. You can try that TBT map. Full alternate players wouldn't be much bothered by this actually since their hand is already used with alternating
5. Yes
6. For playstyle, I recommend kddk since ddkk is really hard when it comes with long 1/6 pattern