forum

Send help, choking too many times

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hiro-Senpai
I think you have the same issue i had not so long time ago, when i was struggling to fc maps that are over 5.3*
You are probably starting to stress out a lot when the chorus kicks in. At least i did, And it wasn't caused by me fcing the map
I felt that the maps started to get heck a lot intense then the previous parts of the map on chorus. So i was really starting mashing the buttons
and doing jumps as fast as i could. And because of that i was shitmissing the long pp jumps at the end of the maps.

Try to stay calm throughout the whole map. Think about it like this, If you can play the beginning of the map well with high acc, it means that it is possible for you to play the rest and that the ending of the song isnt much different from the beginning. It helps me at least to get fc's without even getting stressed that much nowadays.
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I think you have the same issue i had not so long time ago, when i was struggling to fc maps that are over 5.3*
You are probably starting to stress out a lot when the chorus kicks in. At least i did, And it wasn't caused by me fcing the map
I felt that the maps started to get heck a lot intense then the previous parts of the map on chorus. So i was really starting mashing the buttons
and doing jumps as fast as i could. And because of that i was shitmissing the long pp jumps at the end of the maps.
Try to stay calm throughout the whole map. Think about it like this, If you can play the beginning of the map well with high acc, it means that it is possible for you to play the rest and that the ending of the song isnt much different from the beginning. It helps me at least to get fc's without even getting stressed that much nowadays.

Yeah, my nerves go on overdrive when the climax of the song hits, or also when the chorus comes in. Usually, that's when I start freaking out and I either start messing up streams, slider break, or accidentally skip over a note in a jump. Before a climax, I do have pretty good acc, sometimes even reaching 100%.
Then it all goes downhill from there
It's usually when I start mashing through streams instead of playing to the beat, go way too fast on jumps so my acc becomes bad, and slider breaking is near-inevitable. But if I stay calm, I usually hit my sliders and my streams fine.
Problem is, I have difficulty in staying calm, even though I tell myself over and over again to calm down.
Sayorie
Git gud. Literally. That's what I did.

You have to get better so that when you choke, your improved skill can mitigate the effects of nervousness, etc. Like even if I'm shaking or my heart palpitates or something, my instinct and muscle memory can carry me through the duration since I've improved.

Unless you can control your mental state, that's what I suggest you do.

"But how can I improve if I keep choking?"
You don't need to FC to improve.
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Sayorie wrote:

Git gud. Literally. That's what I did.
You have to get better so that when you choke, your improved skill can mitigate the effects of nervousness, etc. Like even if I'm shaking or my heart palpitates or something, my instinct and muscle memory can carry me through the duration since I've improved.
Unless you can control your mental state, that's what I suggest you do.
"But how can I improve if I keep choking?"

You don't need to FC to improve.

Wait really? Skill overrides nerves? I always thought that my nerves were the problem because I would usually have better accuracy (and wouldn't sliderbreak as much) when compared to me being nervous.
...unless I just suck that much
Sayorie
It does if you're high above what you want to play. I usually play maps near 6*, so I'm comfy with maps less than 5.5* even with my horrible tics. Tics are worse though, sometimes I get a strong urge to twist/move/flex/turn/stiffen my appendages and I choke even a very easy map.
dGeist
I agree what Sayorie said. You probably need to get used to the pattern. Heck, probably you still will get a better attempt than mine from what you described. (choke at final jump) -_-

Edit: lol it's actually in my top ranks now ..... my acc..

Sayorie
Oh that fucking map. I'd rather play full-technical maps than 5* maps with 8* difficulty spike. That's just me though, don't mind me.
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu
Wait ,seriously? 8* difficulty spike? Huh...so it really is that difficult i guess

On a side note, I never understood what a technical map was, is it something like this?
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/455069
-Makishima S-

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Wait ,seriously? 8* difficulty spike? Huh...so it really is that difficult i guess

On a side note, I never understood what a technical map was, is it something like this?
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/455069
More like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/300195

For you - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/678120 try Irre diff, hard enough
7ambda

[Taiga] wrote:

thanks for reminding me to beat my old score

Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

F1r3tar wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

thanks for reminding me to beat my old score

Feelsbadman
7ambda

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Feelsbadman
still satisfied with it, much better than my previous best

Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

F1r3tar wrote:

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Feelsbadman

still satisfied with it, much better than my previous best

Stillfeelsbadman
If only I can combo that high on any map right now rip
ManuelOsuPlayer

Braixen-Desu wrote:

I'll be honest
I choke everyday, no matter what difficulty
Every single day is me trying to FC a 5* and I usually end up choking toward the end. Yesterday, I was trying to FC Blade Dance (on Kneesocks), and probably choked at least 10 times toward the end (I probably shouldn't be playing that in the first place actually...).
I usually choke on some really long jump, a small slider that I accidentally overlook, or messing up on the last part of a stream.
And since this is G&R, you probably expect me to ask how to not choke (but it was I, Dio!), but I won't.
But I will ask whether it's normal or not for a person to be choking this much?
When i get to the last hard parts of a song holding a big combo i usually non stop to tell myself to relax and focus. But shut the fuck up and listen the music and keep doing the song at the same way you was doing instead talk with yourself it also helps ;)
I can't evite drop a lot of acc but at least i don't miss because i'm excited. Also i try to x300 all the time instead try to pass no matters how, or hold the combo, so when i get an unexpected x100 x50 it's a good indicator for me that was close to be a miss because i was losing my focus, so i can focus again the same way what i do when i start a song and hit the first circles.
It's all about to learn to keep the same focus even under stress.
A good way for me to work on my focus it's play song where i miss but i already have full combo. So i can ask myself how the fuck i fc this and now i'm having 15 mieses? And sometimes i get an usefull answer what help me to improve. So now when i SS a song i can SS it another time.
Usually we take more care about misses than what we do well. Both things are important, not only why we miss.
dung eater
Stop thinking about the map end result, just try to play all the circles perfectly. Someone saying choke and shitmiss always make it sound like they are concentrating too much on the destination and have lost sight of what is happening in the present.
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu
Whenever I tell myself to calm down, two things happen.
1. My arm slacks for some reason and I accidentally mess up a jump
2. I start thinking all of a sudden that I'm gonna fail and I end up missing
I should probably just focus more...
Hiro-Senpai
Don't think, osu is not a brain game.
If you overthink things you will definetly miss
kai99
i choke so hard lmao it's a habit. like so hard, i'm literally choking at the last 30 secs of a song i tried so hard on.
i keep the choke coming and sometimes barely pass through. i gotta fix this habit if i want to do long maps, but i dunno when that will be.
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

Hm...it's difficult for me to not think while I'm playing Osu to be honest. Should I just trying thinking about something else?
ManuelOsuPlayer

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

Hm...it's difficult for me to not think while I'm playing Osu to be honest. Should I just trying thinking about something else?
Difficult but not imposible? Just listen the song. While talking to yourself you're not listening the song.
I try to be focused on something usefull to the play. Move your feet to the rythm, sing, try things until you find something that help you.
Or If you don't care about what you care. What happens If you miss there? You can retry when you want.
I Give Up
Did someone say choke?
kai99

I Give Up wrote:

Did someone say choke?
oh my god
ManuelOsuPlayer

I Give Up wrote:

Did someone say choke?
As long you keep enjoy the maps shouldn't be there any problem by miss. You can play a map after get a SS on it. For something called enjoy the game and what you're doing at the moment.
If I'm getting stressed i miss on purpouse. If you know 100% you can pass that part without miss because you already did it 100 times without miss there you shouldn't care about do it or don't.
Hiro-Senpai

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

I Give Up wrote:

Did someone say choke?
As long you keep enjoy the maps shouldn't be there any problem by miss. You can play a map after get a SS on it. For something called enjoy the game and what you're doing at the moment.
If I'm getting stressed i miss on purpouse. If you know 100% you can pass that part without miss because you already did it 100 times without miss there you shouldn't care about do it or don't.
I believe you don't have to tell him that. It is obvious that he knows what's up there is no need for giving him tips
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

kai99 wrote:

I Give Up wrote:

Did someone say choke?

oh my god

I am sorry for your loss
Now my plays look worthless compared to that
Caradine

for five years i've trained hard
but no pp, so close
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Caradine wrote:

but no pp, so close

But you joined April 2017 .-.
Kyrari

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Caradine wrote:

but no pp, so close
It's the lyrics for the song smh
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

VanillaSandvich wrote:

Braixen-Desu wrote:

Caradine wrote:

but no pp, so close

It's the lyrics for the song smh

Ahh whoops sorry
Tfw you FC Cold Green Eyes and you're proud of yourself for 166 pp
Until you realize that the song is actually easy af
Caradine

ded
i think this would be like 90 pp :x
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Caradine wrote:

ded

Feelsreallybadman
Damn that definitely would've been worth some pp if choke didn't happen
If something like this happened to me, I would probably lose my shit
1Alone

Caradine wrote:

ded
The song I SS'ed :D, btw if this happens just keep repeating the whole song instead of repeating directly after you choke. It seems like a faster way to FC (at least to me) then retrying directly (train consistency I guess) (repeating directly takes me more than 10+ retry, but with repeating the whole song it takes less than 10 wtf)
Hiro-Senpai
I think i caught some choke/miss disease from reading this forum.
3 days ago iw as smashing scores all over the place.
But now. It seems i cant even hold 150 combo on maps i fcd.
I don't know if anyone here had the same thing where you are certain that you hit the jumps
and your mind is certain that the note is hit but you stil miss and then you are surprised.

I hate when such slumps happen.

Need to get over it somehow like i usually do
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I think i caught some choke/miss disease from reading this forum.
3 days ago iw as smashing scores all over the place.
But now. It seems i cant even hold 150 combo on maps i fcd.
I don't know if anyone here had the same thing where you are certain that you hit the jumps
and your mind is certain that the note is hit but you stil miss and then you are surprised.
I hate when such slumps happen.
Need to get over it somehow like i usually do

I'm going through this too...
Two weeks ago, I was rising by like 1k or even 2k per day.
Now I can't even do Hime Hime 5*...(I almost Fc'ed it too).
About the situation of being surprised is the same thing for me too, because I swore to God that I hit a stack but I kept on missing the third note
I thought it was my keyboard, but it's most likely myself.
1Alone

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

Braixen-Desu wrote:

because I swore to God that I hit a stack but I kept on missing the third note
I thought it was my keyboard, but it's most likely myself.
- Those certain hit jump-moment-but-in-reality-it-missed happened to me on cold green eyes (Divine) o.O, when I focuses and anticipate solely on the beat I missed I hit it, but then the third beat after the note that I anticipated misses wtf :o

- What pains the most? missing that stupid super short fast sliders (the one you barely moved) even though you are certain that you hold it long enough
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu

1Alone wrote:

- Those certain hit jump-moment-but-in-reality-it-missed happened to me on cold green eyes (Divine) o.O, when I focuses and anticipate solely on the beat I missed I hit it, but then the third beat after the note that I anticipated misses wtf :o
- What pains the most? missing that stupid super short fast sliders (the one you barely moved) even though you are certain that you hold it long enough

Cold Green Eyes (divine)? The jumps were a lot more difficult than the sliders...
1Alone

Braixen-Desu wrote:

1Alone wrote:

Cold Green Eyes (divine)? The jumps were a lot more difficult than the sliders...
The sliders and jumps part are seperate lol, I meant short sliders like you know in Jump Training#2 Cambodia. For cold green eyes yeah it's the jumps
Topic Starter
Braixen-Desu
Don't talk to me about those things
They ruin my FC for All Night (Insomnia)
1Alone

Let this thread die before the virus spread
ManuelOsuPlayer

Caradine wrote:

ded
It's https://osu.ppy.sh/u/4695351 but SS with Hidden xD
show more