forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
My Angel Raphi
I wonder if being able to play a musical instrument or having the knowledge of musical terminology helps with osu
Nekodev

ozholic wrote:

I wonder if being able to play a musical instrument or having the knowledge of musical terminology helps with osu
I don't think so. if it does, then it helps very little. I Have been playing cello for around four years now and I didn't seem any better than anyone else when they first started.
-Nurcey-

lazyrifi wrote:

LOL rrtyui got SS in The Big Black, time to update the post :)
He said that no one can SS the big black "in his first day". He didn't say that no one can ever SS the big black... :D
The Scarlet One
Can anyone tell me how to find maps with high BPM to improve my aim ? I mean, something fast with many circles :D
Seki

The Scarlet One wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to find maps with high BPM to improve my aim ? I mean, something fast with many circles :D
Well, if you're looking for HOW to find good maps that should be fairly obvious. If you're talking about tips in general, try streaming. Sorry if I couldn't help you out much with what I've said... I'm just an O!M player haha
Yun Che
Thanks man!
AscensioN
Remember: Practice makes progress, not perfection.
-Yuni
I will just play more...
WaifuforLaifu
I
KaRmBit
About 5 days ago I was doing really good, I was getting 92% - 94% and ranking up real fast, but for 3 days now I cant stream right, my jumps are off, and my taping is slower. I have no idea why and its really pissing me off to the point where I slam my desk and yell because I can't complete a map that I regularly play. Any explanation to this? :cry:
Sandy Hoey
Everyone has their ups and downs, you'll break through your slump.
shinitaichan
Honestly, I put much more hours into this game than my friends do and somehow they can fc things that I can't even pass. I can't stand being stuck in a wall for nearly 8 months whilst playing every day trying to get better. I haven't figured out how to improve yet and having fun didn't really work for me so idk. This thread listed many issues that sounded right for me though. I played osu for 12 hours today practicing mostly snapping because I notice that's something I lack and still don't see the improvement. But it will eventually happen I guess. I always play osu but it makes me depressed because I can't "git gud." I hope I can pick up something from this thread though.
kokudilandau
I'm not really good of a player, but I've watch myself improve over the past few months, from 2 star, to 3 star and 3.8 star. But I'm really moving past that, at the speed I'd like to at least.
Comfy Slippers
dont adopt bad habits, you can go far with proper understanding of the game (from the get-go), i clearly messed up

having a good KB is more important/better? than having a tablet, tablet vs. mouse narrows down to comfort and preference, neither is better

have the game optimized to the max of your PCs abilities

rest is about training and the amount of time you invest into the game, there are no easy ways around to improve here.. learned this the hard way

talent doesn't exist :)
kai99
Well there's a few things I want to talk about here. I've only read a part of the main thread but I'm sure it includes many, many tips that people can follow.

First of all I disagree with the "nomod only when you're below 4k pp" claim. However I don't mean for players to grind HD or HDHR, or even HDDT. It's a balance you have to figure out. Sometimes nomod gets boring and you need those mods to spice up your game, but it is also true that getting attached to HR and AR10 at low levels won't help you at all.

Also, when you start fcing for example, 3* maps, don't move on to 3.2* or more. Stay there to fc at least 5 songs. Then try and fc higher level songs, and if you can only barely pass those songs, you have to stay at that difficulty. B is not an option. S or A with 97+%(preferably a much more higher acc) is what you want. I could barely fc 3.7* songs. I've grinded 3.7* only for the last full month. Result? I can now finish many of the 3.7* without struggling, and now I've moved on to 4*. I can read 4* much easily, and the jumps aren't that difficult; it's only the fc I can't do. So I'll stay at 4* for a while too.

About peripherals.
I use a 2012 Macbook Pro and play with a trackpad. Other trackpad players at 5kpp use worse / similar laptops to mine. I sometimes use my bluetooth keyboard if my fingers hurt too much, but devices don't really make a difference imo. Unless.. you want to get to the top 1k ranks or something.

The only solid advice I can give is to play consistently. I've been playing at least an hour per day for the last month which is quite depressing considering I have graduation exams next month but it pays off. GLHF in your games.
Sunny Senpai
After reaching a certain limit (well I guess that's based on your ability) For instance I reached 70 pp max and I can play songs at these range but what I noticed is while playing with mouse, there tends to be a small gap between mouse and the table, it somewhat leans to left side while I'm playing in the middle of the beatmap, which makes the pointer go where it isn't supposed to (u know the laser probably doesn't recognize the table from the height and jerks a bit) probably the mouse should have more height or something I dunno, but its becoming quite a frequent problem now since I noticed it.

Oh and that goddamn spinner makes it even more common now, the more I realize, the more I lose control over the aim lol. I already have a graphic tablet but never tried to play with it. Will start practicing osu! these days with it.
Ashton
scarlet can make a pretty good story.
VocaLeo730
RIP letter "B" key, it couldn't take it any longer and died while playing on fast beatmaps...........
Doctor_C
Welp, this is pretty much all true.
Yun Che
sad that I suck
Keigo
^ same :(
Tobaganner
I have something that you didn't mention, and I don't know if this happens to most or anyone other than me, but when I play a map, and fail because of jumps or something, sometimes I go and watch the osu!bot, and the osu!bot seems to play a slowed down version of it, I know for a fact that my brain is speeding up time because I have watched streamers play maps, play them myself, and think, "damn thats fast," I don't know if there is any way to fix this, or I just have to keep practicing. I have been playing osu! for 4 months (took maybe 2-4 week break in between) and I can beat (barely) 4 star maps, if that helps. If you have the same problem, or know how to fix it, please let me know, thanks! :)
SnoWFLakE0s
Thanks
Antigonos
Yeeeeaaaahhh... I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE here is guilty of MISC: 1 and 3, there's no buts about it, if you want to improve, no matter how much you enjoy the game you will eventually enter "TRYHARD MODE", no way around it. And OFCOURSE you want to impress people, but that's every game. Look at any MMORPGs. People spend months farming amazing mounts! What do they do, you ask? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, all they do is make your character "cooler". Trying to impress someone is a daily occurrence, and there's no way around it, no matter how hard you try to be self-conscious about it.
Still, you bring up many great points, all of which are valid. (I also might have some bad habits, such as restarting a normal/hard map whenever I miss a circle... I need to break that habit.)
Thanks!
Also, I do know that this post is OLD, but... er... I don't really care.
moss-
i'm glad i read this before i started playing
Pampilius
how to get better at osu:

try playing DT a few times but not forever
Kiruko1025
Shut up and play 10000pc
Taj
how to get better?
peppy points
Rivster
This was very well made and organized, thank you.
AngelBotGaming
Someone should make a beatmap where the difficulty starts off at 0.1 stars, and increases slowly, and where you fail is where you know you're at and you can see what you need to do in order to improve and stuff :P
Ryoid
Glad that i know this thread

AngelBotGaming wrote:

Someone should make a beatmap where the difficulty starts off at 0.1 stars, and increases slowly, and where you fail is where you know you're at and you can see what you need to do in order to improve and stuff :P
if you want that, you need to find a hardworking beatmaper
Thats map a song around 1-5 star with the gaps of 0.1 every song so newbie can see where do they improve. But thats not needed(and kinda impossible of course)
Cause the first diff i played is 3 star hard song, 2 week after that i can play 4-5 star song :D .still my accuracy sucks! Is this what called bad habbit?
amax
Where did the author of the thread go? Their avatar link doesn't lead to a valid profile link...
alumiii
tl;dr
7ambda

alumiii wrote:

tl;dr
tl;dr
Sydrex_old
Well said.
FlipSide82

NotCookie wrote:

will i become cookiezi if i read all of this text? im not sure its worth it
U wont be like Cookiezi cuz he too god, but you could be like kinda good little XD
8-)
raichyuun
I just found this thread today after raging multiple times. couldn't disagree with anything. bookmarked for future reference
KillerPanda
Honestly when seeing this I thought it was just gonna be practice this and dont do that but really it is extremely helpful. I didn't really think i was keyboard smashing until i turned off my effect sound, once i did that my fingers locked up a lot less and i became a lot more accurate in terms of tempo and timing.
felipon2233
I really enjoyed that, especially by addressing the "psychological" aspect of the improvement or how you view the game (Sorry for the bad english lul)
Celine
It's pretty good, I remember reading it few months ago.
show more