forum

Map length VS map difficulty level

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Veross
So this is a question I've always asked myself.

Here's how I'm gonna put it:

Let's take a 4.5* maps that lasts for 1:27 minutes (we'll call it map ''A'')

So if we take map A and repeat its patterns for a long amount of time to make map A last for let's say ... 4 minutes, basically the *Difficulty* hasn't really raised because we haven't changed any patterns,it is just a longer 4.5*.. (Even though you could say it requires more consistency since it is longer)

So map A which now lasts 4minutes, but has a bunch of 4.5* patterns, is now of unknown difficulty, and that's what I'm searching for ; is a 5ish* map that lasts for 4minutes just a longer version of a 1:27 minutes 4.5* map ?

Or are the 2 factors totally independant?

Thanks in advance for the answers :)
B1rd
The more a certain pattern is repeated the higher the star difficulty, but the star rating increase for extra patterns drops off very quickly once you get to a certain point. A 5* pattern repeated once would probably only make a 3.5* map, while repeated 100 times it'd probably be 5.1*.
Endaris
You're looking for things like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/546514?m=0
As stated by B1rd, repeating a pattern doesn't ramp up the difficulty by a lot, it has diminishing returns, so the difficulty doesn't end up as high.
Topic Starter
Veross
Well, I didn't expect the ratio to be so low but, does it increase the PP value more that it does increase Dfficulty, because most maps above 3min length tend to give a lot of PP compared to the shorter maps of the same difficulty :roll: :?: (thanks for the fast answers :D )
Endaris
Long maps mostly have an increased amount of pp awarded for accuracy as pp from OD scale with the OD value and the amount of circles in the map (sliders don't matter).
Classical example of farming that would be smth like:

which has only 4.65*. There is almost no way to get that amount from a TV sized OD8 4.65* map
So yes, they do give more pp, but you also have to be consistent.
Topic Starter
Veross
Mmh, well I'm satisfied with the answers! Thanks a lot :)!
I Give Up
Star rating shows how hard it is to fc a map calculated by note distance, density, cs and object count. It's an incomplete system but its the best they could do. IIRC the song length does not count toward star rating, it is simply incidental.