forum

Average Taiko Player looking to get better

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JustCallMeMel
Hey everyone, I am looking to get better at Taiko, but I don't know what maps to practice on. I have a lot of trouble when it comes to using two hands on the keyboard. So if any of you could recommend me any maps to help me with a stream of beats that would be nice. I also get lost when the beats are moving to quickly, so what is the best way to get better at reading fast maps? I am rank 13k, so pretty average for Taiko. I can pretty much do any 2* map, but I fall apart very quickly at 3* maps, so very average.
Edgar_Figaro
Generally speaking if you are looking for maps that require usage of both hands you will be wanting Muzukashi or higher difficulty as these have 1/4 patterns and require alternation. Star rating is less important than the difficulty name in this instance as usually the name refers to the type of patterns you see. Kantan and Futsuu will generally only have 1/1 and 1/2 patterns and alteration isn't needed until you get to 1/4 patterns which Muzu's will generally have some nice doubles, triplets, and quads in 1/4 patterns that are good for starters while you get used to it before heading onto more complex Oni patterns. You might be able to play some of the simple 1/4 patterns by spamming your single tap button quickly but just focus on forcing yourself to alternate for these patterns. Eventually this method won't work anymore when 1/4 patterns are chained together in succession as it will require way too much stamina so it will only be detrimental trying to unteach yourself the bad habit of not alternating.

As for the speed of the map that just takes getting used to. Your reading speed will get faster with practice. Only advice I could give you there is try and figure out what BPM has a comfortable scroll speed and what is just barely too fast. Try and go slightly above your comfort BPM scroll speed. But honestly I wouldn't worry about anything except learning to play Taiko specific difficulty patterns until you can start getting some high ACC or FC's on Oni difficulties (generally starting at upper 3 star and lower 4 star)

P.S. If you are looking for specific maps for training check out the TBT Project [Taiko begginers training manual] by Onosaki Hito here on the forums
Topic Starter
JustCallMeMel

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Generally speaking if you are looking for maps that require usage of both hands you will be wanting Muzukashi or higher difficulty as these have 1/4 patterns and require alternation. Star rating is less important than the difficulty name in this instance as usually the name refers to the type of patterns you see. Kantan and Futsuu will generally only have 1/1 and 1/2 patterns and alteration isn't needed until you get to 1/4 patterns which Muzu's will generally have some nice doubles, triplets, and quads in 1/4 patterns that are good for starters while you get used to it before heading onto more complex Oni patterns. You might be able to play some of the simple 1/4 patterns by spamming your single tap button quickly but just focus on forcing yourself to alternate for these patterns. Eventually this method won't work anymore when 1/4 patterns are chained together in succession as it will require way too much stamina so it will only be detrimental trying to unteach yourself the bad habit of not alternating.
As for the speed of the map that just takes getting used to. Your reading speed will get faster with practice. Only advice I could give you there is try and figure out what BPM has a comfortable scroll speed and what is just barely too fast. Try and go slightly above your comfort BPM scroll speed. But honestly I wouldn't worry about anything except learning to play Taiko specific difficulty patterns until you can start getting some high ACC or FC's on Oni difficulties (generally starting at upper 3 star and lower 4 star)
P.S. If you are looking for specific maps for training check out the TBT Taiko begginers training manual by Onosaki Hito

I really appreciate you taking to the time to type out a well worded response and for the help, but I have no idea what the first paragraph meant. Is like muzukashi hard and do those, and the other two are scrubby ones that won't help me get better?

The second paragraph I understand. Thanks for the response. One last question, do you know of any maps that are especially intensive on double, triples, and quads?
Edgar_Figaro
Taiko specific maps are what you generally want to be playing instead of standard Auto-converts. Taiko difficulties use a different naming scheme than standard. Kantan=Easy, Futsuu=Normal, Muzukashii=Hard, Oni=Insane, Inner Oni=Extra. Really early on it doesn't matter much as auto-converts and kantan and futsuu difficulties play very similarly but Muzukashii is where they diverge and so you want to be playing Taiko specific maps. The difficulty name in Taiko generally has less to do with the star rating of the song though and more to do with the patterns used in the map. The star rating is simply a combination of the difficulty of the patterns with the speed of the song.

As far as the whole jargon on 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 notes that is simply referring to the note snapping and is mainly used as terminology by mappers. Just as an easy way of thinking of it if you see a triplet in a song where the notes are coming twice as fast as the rest of the notes this is most likely a 1/4 pattern as generally single taps will be 1/2 patterns. (This may not be 100% the case depending on bpm song you could have 1/4 snapping as the regular single taps and 1/8 as the patterns you'd alternate but this would be extremely low BPM maps and such. Completely ignore this statement it's mainly for anyone that would want to correct me)

Also I'm not an expert on great maps to play for learning specific patterns or what not. I simply downloaded and played as many Taiko specific maps and slowly worked my way up in difficulty. But if you are looking for good maps to play to learn patterns just follow this:
t/175867

Also in addition Chromoxx has a short Youtube series that I used for some helpful tips when getting into Taiko gamemode. Also if you ever have any questions while in game about playing Taiko feel free to join the #Taiko channel. Plenty of Taiko players who would probably be happy to answer questions or suggest maps for you to play