forum

[resolved] Common Issues and Solutions v2.0 - Read Before Posting!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mystearica
Below are a list of common issues faced by beginners with solutions accomodating each issue. If your problem is not solved by following these steps, please make a report and make sure you provide enough details.

Details can include:

- A screenshot of the error message or pasted text if you receive one.
- Your system's specifications, CPU, GPU, Operating System (32/64-bit, Service Pack number, Edition, etc), osu! build number, etc.
- What exactly you were doing to obtain this error.
- What exactly was caused by the error. What happened?
- Steps we can take to replicate your error.

Issue #0: Lag.

Lag can be caused by many, many sources. Here are some common ones that may help if you're experiencing lag:

1) Background processes, antiviruses, etc.
2) Viruses, spyware, trojans.
3) Your computer needs an upgrade.
4) Your drivers are not up to date.
5) Try OpenGL mode and/or reduce your visual settings in game.
6) Things happen.

Issue #0.1: My game crashes (General version)

Solution: Update. Update your DirectX, update your game, update everything. Sometimes your troubles will magically go away if you do this.

Issue #0.11: My updater (osume.exe) isn't working properly and I cannot update.

Solution: Download osume.exe to your osu! directory and run it. You may have to overwrite the old one.

Issue #1: You cannot get past the very first game screen when attempting to connect.

Solution: Open port 13381, TCP. Also make sure no Antivirus programs are blocking your connection to osu!

Issue #2: You have 64-bit Windows and you cannot install correctly.

Solution: Install 64-bit .NET Framework.

Issue #3: You get a Runtime Exception relating to bass.

Solution: Replace bass.dll in the osu! folder with this http://osu.ppy.sh/release/bass.dll.

Issue #4: Your individual song ranking records are gone.

Solution: Either you're playing on an Unranked mode or you're offline. Play on a Ranked mode or go online.

Issue #5: My computer is automatically rebooting when playing osu! What's going on?

Solution: You're probably overheating. Try enabling a 120 FPS Frame Limiter and see what happens.

Issue #6: When I try to download Beatmap Packs I get a message requesting me to login to download.

Solution: Turn off your browser caching.

Issue #7: My osu! window is offscreen!

Solution: Right-click osu! in your taskbar, choose "Move" and hit the Right Arrow key on your keyboard. Now just move your mouse and your window should recover.

Issue #8: Windows Vista needs UAC permissions for you to play.

Solution: Disable your UAC. See this: http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-disable-UAC

Issue #9: I never get more than 3 FPS on osu! and my PC doesn't belong in the junkyard yet.

Solution: Try deleting your osu!.<user>.cfg file in the osu! folder and try running the game again. This could also happen if you have faulty Audio drivers, so make sure you have the latest/proper Audio drivers for your soundcard.

Issue #10: I cannot start the game. I crash and see a Windows Error Report window everytime I try to run osu!

Solution: Delete osu!.exe, run osume.exe again and then play.

Issue #10.1: osu will not start or starts with an invisible screen

Solution: Hold Shift while starting osu! and say no to the openGL prompt.

Issue #11: Your graphics card does not seem to support Shader Model 1.1+

Solution: Update your graphics card drivers. Also see above solution.

Issue #12: I downloaded a Beatmap Pack but osu! is always trying to "repair" the file!

Solution: Once a pack has been downloaded, extract the .rar into your osu! Songs directory. All songs are still .zip'd and/or .osz'd inside the pack, so osu! will need to extract the beatmaps itself the next time you go into Play mode. Do NOT extract the zip's/osz's yourself, or the beatmaps will display incorrectly in osu and will not function properly.

Issue #13: I've installed the game but I'm getting an error about font styles.

Solution: Your windows install is likely missing the Tahoma font. Please obtain it and reinstall it.

More issues and solutions will be added through time as required.
mm201
Solution: Font 'x' does not support style 'y'

Stop deleting important system fonts!
If you did not do this, please run a virus+malware scan, because they shouldn't be deleting themselves.

If you see this error when you try to open osu! or its updater, it means you deleted or otherwise lost important system fonts that ship with Windows. These fonts are used all over the Windows OS, so you can expect other assorted problems, such as wrong fonts, missing text, and other app crashes throughout Windows.

Here is a collection of common fonts used in different versions of Windows and across the web which should help:
Microsoft core web fonts (especially Arial, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, and Verdana)
Tahoma
Windows Live Essentials (Segoe UI)
Powerpoint 2007 Viewer (Cleartype family--Calibri, Consolas, Corbel, ... Nothing in osu! or your system depends on these, but these fonts are awesome! Download now gogo!)
Microsoft JhengHei (微軟正黑體) (Traditional Chinese UI font)

See this topic in Microsoft Answers for some more detailed advice, and other options on getting them back:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7a0bfa986a
Sakura
My avatar isn't updating in-game!

As of the newest update, Release (b20120518), avatars are being cached differently, and it will take longer for it to update in game, if you're going to make a thread about it, just wait.

It may take up to 7 days in the worst case scenario but it shouldn't take more than 4 hours!.

If this is a problem for you, please consider changing your avatar less often.
TheVileOne
Unable to hold multiple keys in osu!mania?

If you are unable to press certain keys at the same time, the problem is not with osu!, but with the internal structure of your keyboard. This phenomena is referred to as ghosting. Ghosting affects most keyboards, and probably will more or less affect your ability to play certain key combinations in mania, especially when you manually drop the difficulty down to 4K.

For more information click here

How to Fix

You could buy a better keyboard or you could just figure out which keys can be pressed together.

Here is a straightforward way to find out which keys can be pressed together.

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... gDemo.aspx
If it doesn't work right away, refresh the page a couple times and it should work.

If you want to go the new keyboard route. You could try checking this thread for more information on which keyboards to buy. You will want a keyboard labelled as anti-ghosting, but even then it's not guaranteed that the right keys will be anti ghosted.
deadbeat
osu! is displaying the wrong stats, what do I do?!!?

First of all, just calm down. It's most likely not a bug. Just have a look at the screenshot below, and I'll explain.

Let me explain all this
1,2 and 3 are results from the old ranking system that is based of your score.
1 and 2 are not updated anymore and will be removed in the near future.

4 is your pp, or performance points. You get more performance points based on how well you do on each map. Check here for a more detailed explanation on what pp is.

5 is your pp accuracy. This is slightly different from 2 as it only takes accuracy from maps you got pp off.

6 is your pp rank. Not really much else I can say about that.

7 is important. This is the game mode. There are currently 4 game modes and each one has its own stats. So in the screenshot, we can see that its showing my osu! stats. When you log into osu!, it'll show the game stat's for which ever has more pp. So if osu! has 2000, taiko has 3000, ctb has 1000 and osu!mania has 500, it'll always show your taiko stats when you log in. As soon as you play a different game mode, it'll update.

Fixed up grammar and spelling to make it look more professional. Also added punctuation in the title :3 --MillhioreF
Fixed the second image so the 4 is more visible >_< - deadbeat
Rewrote the information and changed the screenshot - deadbeat
Updated 1 and 2 (they are not updated anymore) - XPJ38
MillhioreF
This thread is sorely in need of an update. I've gone ahead and preemptively merged other threads that really should have been addressed here, since flooding with announcements probably isn't the way to go. Might as well add a few more issues while I'm at it, too (should I edit these into the OP?)

Issue #14: I paid for a supporter tag, but I haven't gotten it yet!

Solution: Payments can take time to process, especially if you don't use Paypal, so be patient and wait 24 hours. If you haven't received your supporter tag by then, e-mail pe@ppy.sh with the confirmation receipt and he'll sort things out.

Issue #15: My mouse cursor is going crazy whenever I use a tablet.

Solution: Set your mouse sensitivity ingame to 1.0x.

Issue #16: Avira is saying osu! has a virus.

Solution: Either disable Avira during the update, add osu! to the whitelist or use a different anti virus.

Issue #17: Songs list keeps scrolling forever.

Solution: disable joystick support in Options → Input.