forum

[Mania] SV Mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +21
Topic Starter
abraker
I think this has been suggested before, but I gave up searching for this after I hit the 90th page in the search.

I enjoy playing maps with extreme SV like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/153038, and I don't see many maps of these kind. So why not have a mod that does it for you? The SV mod would make random SV changes as you play such that it would go from 0.8x to 1.4x to another value randomly. I suggest there being limits to how high and how low the values can be to avoid it being too slow or too fast. Also The SV changes would have a smooth transition and not sudden.

While I linked a mania map, this is applicable to all other gamemodes as well. Well then only mania it is! I think it's a nice way to learn playing by hearing the notes instead going by visual cues. I can't imagine how this may affect the difficulty of a map, so I would just leave the choice to make it a ranked or unranked mod to you.
Bara-
Standard - No
Taiko - Too hard, due to the way SV works in taiko (overlaps)
CtB - No
Mania - Can be fun
I'd say, do it only for mania
drum drum

baraatje123 wrote:

Standard - No
Taiko - Too hard, due to the way SV works in taiko (overlaps)
CtB - No
Mania - Can be fun
I'd say, do it only for mania
I was assuming it was for mania only anyways
-Maus-
Because we need fucking 900 bpm jumps! \o/
arviejhay
it can be add-on on AIMOD?
Topic Starter
abraker
Edited post. I wanted to open this possibility up for non mania players too, but I don't have much experience with SV jumps in other gamemodes. That said, I was unsure if other gamemodes would benefit from this or not.

arviejhay wrote:

it can be add-on on AIMOD?
How so?

Transformau5 wrote:

Because we need fucking 900 bpm jumps! \o/
These huge jumps should span not more than 2 notes per quarter meter or so. Doing more than 2 notes at a sudden speedup will cause most people to miss. Also note this is NOT BPM changes, this is SV changes.
Frim4503
i agree with you :)
cuz i'm mania player too
-Maus-

abraker wrote:

These huge jumps should span not more than 2 notes per quarter meter or so. Doing more than 2 notes at a sudden speedup will cause most people to miss. Also note this is NOT BPM changes, this is SV changes.
I don't care, yet this mod would just confuse people by constantly changing the notes' speed and basically being a dick to everyone
Maiz94

Example of a continuous SV along throughout the song.
Vuelo Eluko
vsrgs are freaky
Topic Starter
abraker

ishimaru94 wrote:

<vid>
The SV's range should be limited so that wave motion doesn't happen. It should behave like the map I linked in the first post.

Transformau5 wrote:

I don't care, yet this mod would just confuse people by constantly changing the notes' speed and basically being a dick to everyone
Can't play by ear? The rate at which the notes come remains the same, it's just the visual cue that changes, FIY.
-Maus-
>Implying that anybody can play a map without even reading notes
Topic Starter
abraker
I have little problem playing the intense SV parts in the linked map.
Blaizer
This is really cool. I've never thought about a mod that adds SV. Most people want one that removes it. I'll have to play around with this idea.

From the linked map and the linked video, I can think of two mods. abraker's one is keeping the notes correctly spaced apart (with correctly balanced SV changes), and adding SV bumps between notes that are further apart than 1/4 snap.

The other one is constantly stretching and compressing the notes. I think it would be better to sync this one to the music, so every bar (4 beats) it would switch between expanding and contracting.

Both are fun ideas, and definitely doable for a mod.
Maiz94

Blaizer wrote:

Both are fun ideas, and definitely doable for a mod.
Glad that you liked both ideas. :3
Topic Starter
abraker
Awesome! Can't wait for it :D
lenpai
Although I'm pretty sure that this SV mod will work differently I can't help but think of this mod from DJMAX

Topic Starter
abraker
ishimaru94 already posted a video featuring O2jam having the same thing, but imo that looks horrible and think it will look better if the notes were prescaled instead of realtime scaling changes like shown in the vid. So that would make the notes further up appear close or further apart without affecting the visible spacing between the notes that are already visible.
try24get
Thanks to abraker that sent a link on my thread~
If I may choose, I prefer on the other one version, because better on sync like Blizer said and can be applied no matter how weird the pattern. For how often it changes, maybe changes applied every 4 bars was often enough, but any sugesstion are welcome
Topic Starter
abraker
Bumping this along with the other mania mod requests.
johnmedina999
Bumping with a suggestion. Sorry if this has been suggested before, but the video links are dead and I can't see what has been suggested.
Hurting for a Very Hurtful Pain has very sharp SV changes, but I suggest having another option (maybe you click the mod again to activate it) that is more similar to the Wave mod in DDR and Stepmania:

Different type of constant SV, smoother. This was the first thing I thought of when I first read the post. Maybe this could be implemented as well?
Caput Mortuum
if it's going to be added, this needs to come first
johnmedina999

Eraser wrote:

if it's going to be added, this needs to come first
Holy shit I didn't know that was a feature request. I NEED that in the game. Wish I had supporter to vote for it :/