forum

[Archived] osu!go and Ubuntu...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rain Shinotsu
Hello again, everybody. A few months ago, I asked about using osu!go with Windows, and all of my questions were answered. However, I have another question about the osu!go: Is it also possible to use it with Ubuntu 16.04, and if so, how?
Kao
Erm,
If people don't know an answer to this, it's probably best if you contacted a dev itself, namely osu@ppy.sh
But if I were you, I'd rather find the thread of osu!go and ask there/find answers there since this technically isn't a question about osu!, but osu!go, which I assume is very different.
Other than that, why don't you try it first before asking? Be informed that there are fewer people who use Ubuntu and will cause this to have very limited answers

Hope that helped somehow
Topic Starter
Rain Shinotsu
Kao,
Sorry for the late reply. I will try contacting a dev to see what they say. After searching the forums in the most likely places, I am not so sure that there is an osu!go-specific thread (anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, though.) I did not get the item yet, but I think I might soon (in case you do/did not know, osu!go is osu! installed on a USB drive, making it more portable.)
Thank you for your help. Regards,
RRyanJS67
JSE
TBH I hate desktop linux as it always has issues, but I swear by using linux for servers so I've got a little experience with it and I know there are a few others in the osu! community :)

osu! on Linux seems to be a hit and miss at the moment. First of all, it depends on wine, since there currently is no released osu! client officially for Linux (yet). That said, what might be a down point for me might be an up point for you, as getting it running is kindof part of the point to running desktop linux, which is hacking around to learn. There's plenty of resources around to get it working, and if you're running Ubuntu I had it work pretty much out of the box on Ubuntu 16.10 (16.04 should work no differently, just install fonts, .net 4 and run it which is all I did).

Getting it to run portably should, theoretically, be no different than running it from your hard drive, (only difference is it's on a thumb drive) just make sure you do it in a 32bit prefix as I doubt it'll work in a 64bit one and odds are, a fresh install of wine the default prefix you make will likely be 64bit. From there it's just a matter of launching your portable osu! in the prefix, which you can either do from terminal or make a simple .sh script to do it.

Why not try it out and see? If you run into any trouble I'm sure there are many in the community willing to help (just check the osu! on linux threads) or post back here/shoot me a message, if I see it I'll try to pitch in best I can.
Topic Starter
Rain Shinotsu
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6xjvMwEx0LcSjdUZEpaUkVvQUU/view?usp=sharing

I finally got around to getting an osu!go, and it came in the mail today, so I plugged it into my laptop running Ubuntu, and this is what it is saying when it tries to read the drive. I don't know how I would go about fixing this, and I did not come across anything that could help me fix this. (Yes, my computer runs x64 Ubuntu. Also, a change from the beginning of the thread is that since the original post was made, I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.10. What fonts do I install, and where can I get said fonts and .NET 4?)

EDIT: I found a way to mount ExFAT drives in Ubuntu, but I am not sure how to open osu! in Ubuntu. I am not sure Wine would help, as I can't seem to cd to the USB drive, probably because the name of the folder and drive have an ! in it. Even then, I only know how to open a program in Wine through the terminal, so I might need a VM, which (1. I can't find a good one that I can actually make work...VirtualBox isn't working too well) (2. I am not sure I could use a USB drive with). If anyone knows that USB drives would work, then you can ask me to elaborate the issue with VirtualBox, maybe in another thread, in a different subforum.