forum

[Archived] Osu! Random Lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Eunoia
Problem Details: I randomly started getting lag in osu. It's for a split second or sometimes a bit longer. IT's at random times that isn't corresponding to kiai time or anything. I've noticed that there seems to be a delay that's smaller (time between frames goes to like 1-2ms) then a massive spike following it up less than a few seconds later. I turned off all the special effects and it didn't change the random lag. I hadn't installed or changed anything recently on my computer.

I first restarted my computer and ran osu without any programs up. I changed my osu version into every single version there is (stable, fallback, beta, cutting edge) and it did nothing. I did the option to reduce frames lost and compatibility mode and nothing worked. I deleted my config file and it did nothing. My frames changed to 120 240 and unlimited and it still randomly lagged. All my drivers are updated. Unplugging my tablet and playing with only mouse did nothing. changing skins did nothing.

I ran malwarebytes and nothing pops up so I ran ccleaner and nothing changed. I turned off Windows Defender and that didn't change. I monitored my cpu and gpu usage while i played and when the lag spikes happen the cpu and gpu don't change or spike. I went into game with cutting edge and brought up the frame information with ctrl+F11. The following video shows gameplay with a lag spike and the graph. I pressed ctrl when the lag spike came and it showed that the time between frames spiked at the same time swap buffering spiked. I have no idea what that means though.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
The lag spike happens 12 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TObIRm ... e=youtu.be

Here's my DxDiag: https://puu.sh/svQ7D/cd4f1aa10f.txt

Here's my MSInfo: https://puu.sh/svQ7R/311bd3f020.txt
osu! version: 20161101.1beta
Kao
Just to be sure, do you have enough ram free for osu! to run corectly?

Do you have a rotating wallpaper?

Are you using multiple monitors?
Topic Starter
Eunoia
I should. Here's a pic showing my stats while osu is playing: https://puu.sh/svQJV/245f61ca32.png
Kao
Looks like in your dxdiag you have multiple monitors set up
Try using only one monitor
Does it do anything?
Topic Starter
Eunoia
No nothing seems to change. Oh i forgot to add that I consistently see swap buffer when the time between frames spikes but more uncommonly I see update and draw like dots on the white time between frames lines. Don't know if that's pertinent because of it's inconsistency.
Kao
The white/grey pieces are GDI+ text rendering
The spikes are GPU texture uploads of the rendered text

Have your drivers recently updated?
Graphics card is certainly the biggest contributor to framerate issues.
Try updating them or rolling back the drivers
Sometimes the updates are what causes the lag, so rolling back might help (especially if your Windows constantly updates)
Topic Starter
Eunoia
My Nvidia driver did update in the 18th but looking at the release notes the only things they added/changed were profiles for optimal settings for like 5 games. My lag didn't start (though I played everyday) until a few hours ago so I don't think drivers is a issue.
Upskirt
Go into the osu! config and try to change the "renderer" between opengl and d3d, see if that makes any difference.

I'll be going for awhile but if the problem is not resolved between that time I will PM you and try to help you out. You can always try to roll-back your Windows 10 update('s) and install it again to see if that does anything.

Try repairing the game through the repair osu! shortcut in the game directory.

Try another GPU if possible and see if the problem persists.

As a desperate measure try this solution.

Uninstall all Nvidia display driver software and run DDU. it will prompt to boot into safe mode and do so then clear your Nvidia driver software. Go ahead and install the latest WHQL update from the Nvidia site and give it a go.

You can also try monitoring your PC GPU and CPU utilisation to isolate the issue.
Topic Starter
Eunoia
Nothing seems to have worked. I don't have another gpu though so that's the only thing I haven't done. I saw a possible solution online talking about power settings and turning of the hard disk after a certain time and me changing the setting to never turn it off didn't solve the problem either.
Topic Starter
Eunoia
I'm still experiencing the problem. I tried turning off Nvidia capture and resetting nvidia control panel's settings (gloabally and for osu specifically) and it did nothing. I also tried moving my osu! from my second drive to my system drive but that also did nothing.
Kao
I have no other theory other than it's a certain program what's causing this
Even with my laptop that's strong has sometimes lag spikes.
Restarting helps only sometimes because the program in question does not start immediately or fails and doesn't cause the lag spikes anymore

If you can, play osu! With fullscreen off while task manager is open and record it
There was a case that the lag only appeared when the program 'driver tuning utility' appeared and stopping that fixed the problem