forum

[resolved] [confirmed] [web] Errors when replying in subscribed threads

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Deif
Problem Details:

As the title says, I'm getting a warning window every time I want to post something significantly long (aka a mod or just a few paragraphs) on that subforum. The error says:

256 /data/repo/www/forum/includes/functions_messenger.php 162 Could not find email template file [ language/es/email/topic_notify.txt ]

Even with that warning window, my post will be saved and shown in the beatmap thread. If I try to refresh that site or go back and check my post preview, a new post with the same content will be generated, leading to something like this:

Editing my post won't trigger the issue though. The website asks me often to verify my osu! account through my email address at least once or twice if I refresh in the error site. The issue is indeed minor, but kinda annoying if I'm actively modding :p

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20161101cuttingedge
Adorn
Try clearing your cache/cookies?
also i love your profile picture
Dntm8kmeeatu
This seems to be a relatively new issue with some certain sub-forums. It's been reported before.

I'll try to find the thread sometime today.
Pawsu

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

This seems to be a relatively new issue with some certain sub-forums. It's been reported before.

I'll try to find the thread sometime today.
Same thought here. This thread has the same issue as this one, but it seems like it's only occurring for the old web, and not for new.ppy.sh.
Kao
I noticed that in the 2nd update that it didn't appear until the 2nd post. My 1st post didn't get the error
So I'm thinking it might be with the OP needing verification?
Hard to point out...
Topic Starter
Deif

Flannel wrote:

Try clearing your cache/cookies?
also i love your profile picture
Tried that already, but it still happens. I noticed it gets triggered in the WIP/Help subforum, as well as with private messages.

Same error message in any case. Can it be related to the fact that the new website implemented locations in other languages?

Kao
Have you read the thread Pawsu linked? It happened to me too.
t/521007
At this point it's not a problem from the user, but the website itself
Though I don't think it's a problem because of the new website implementation
Since it says about a template, I'm thinking it's when osu! Tries to send an email to subscribed users that have not verified email?

Also, could you test it on the links I gave in that thread?
Upskirt
Use a different browser.

Re-verify email on a new browser too if necessary.
Kao

Venzire wrote:

Use a different browser.

Re-verify email on a new browser too if necessary.
Don't think you didn't read the thread though, if you did, you would know it isn't a problem with their end
Since it happens to me too (both phone and computer)

Just now it happened to this thread newly created
t/525273
As noted before, despite the error, it still posted
Editing is still fine. The error came from es again.

Can someone test it out and make a post to see if it happens to them too?
o x
After talking with Kirby, the error seems to occur because there doesn't seem to be a localisation for Spanish.

<Starrodkirby86> the OP requested to get notifications of the topic replies to his email
<Starrodkirby86> Could not find email template file [ language/es/email/topic_notify.txt ]
Starrodkirby86
Well, the error is straightforward. It's missing the email localization text necessary to send out to a user using Spanish that someone replied to their topic (that being language/es/email/topic_notify.txt). It should only trigger when someone with Spanish forum language has "Notify me when a reply is posted" checked or has that by default (i.e. subscribing to a thread).

I'd like to think that this file existed already, but recently it's just 404ing or not being able to access that. Not much we can do since this is just a failure on the forum system.
Kao
Well it's not only for es, but pl (Poland) as well
I don't know if there are some more, but it seems like it makes users double post in the confusion
It could be a bit problematic, seeing there's an easy fix to make links work (or not)
Either way, the new.ppy still works, (errors ignored maybe?) So it's better to use that :/
(But I prefer old layout when on my phone)
Starrodkirby86
I find it particularly odd since this error happened recently. I'm sure them and other languages or topic notifications in general were available in the past. So something must have borked internally, but it's outside of what I'm aware of.
Pawsu
Pretty sure this is getting forwarded on.
Trosk-
This is being investigated and hopefully it will be fixed in the near future. Sorry for the trouble that this issue can cause.
Nathanael
Confirming this for now.
MillhioreF
Bumping this because it's started happening in a pretty popular thread, too. t/545621
Lyawi
also t/51694 ...
Kao
p/5600025
Just so everyone knows what is missing

I can confirm this,
tried posting in thread t/105117 and I got the error.

However, I saw my post being posted in https://new.ppy.sh/forum/t/105117?n=66440
despite the error.
Edit: Seems like it still posts fine even if the error shows up.

Tried again, but this time in the new website, and it worked flawlessly.
Seems like you can post in the new.ppy, so I'd suggest you post there instead.

Update: Posting will give you that error on OP
The error is
  1. 256 /data/repo/www/forum/includes/functions_messenger.php 162
    Could not find email template file [ language/es/email/topic_notify.txt ]
Even though error is thrown in, the actual post is still there.
So it's only in the old forum that has this problem. The new works fine.

2nd update:
This has happened in this thread mysteriously t/520964
The error is still the same, except for the language in "pl"
    Could not find email template file [ language/pl/email/topic_notify.txt ]
The error didn't show up until recently. I don't know what's causing it, the error didn't happen until my latest post in that thread linked.

Evidence
  1. The 1st thread had "es" in the error, which probably means Español
  2. The 2nd thread had "pl" and the OP is from Poland
I make the theory of the OP having some sort of error in their email and/or people who have bookmarked/subscribed to the thread.
However, since it only shows as pl, meaning it's likely the former (from the OP)

3rd update:
As from above, from here url=https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/51694 receives the error.
    Could not find email template file [ language/fr/email/topic_notify.txt ]
Seems like French is affected too.
Starrodkirby86
Well, the error message in this case is surprisingly helpful. It's a part of the phpBB system.

As a point of reference, we can actually see that this file exists:
language/en/email/topic_notify.txt

And you can see that this file DOESN'T exist:
language/es/email/topic_notify.txt

Nor do any of the other language files. You can look around for other files, and you'll see that English's pretty comprehensive, but the other languages don't really exist.

I actually think there aren't any language files period except for English. I've always remembered this forum, since 2007, only having British English as the choice:

And phpbb offers ways to install other language packs, so if one is properly installed, it should show up. So I think it's just the default language only.

So what would be the next question would be why has this been popping up recently. Perhaps there was a recent change that makes the phpbb forums assume language localization for other users? I really don't know since I've always been in the US.

I think really the only ways of fixing it would be for someone with access to the admin panel to install those language packs, or to find why phpbb is going to another localization for that user with emails and to disable that. It's likely some administrative configuration or something under the hood. :|
o x

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

As a point of reference, we can actually see that this file exists:
language/en/email/topic_notify.txt

And you can see that this file DOESN'T exist:
language/es/email/topic_notify.txt

Nor do any of the other language files. You can look around for other files, and you'll see that English's pretty comprehensive, but the other languages don't really exist.
Am I wrong or did we not already confirm all this

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Well, the error is straightforward. It's missing the email localization text necessary to send out to a user using Spanish that someone replied to their topic (that being language/es/email/topic_notify.txt). It should only trigger when someone with Spanish forum language has "Notify me when a reply is posted" checked or has that by default (i.e. subscribing to a thread).
Since a while ago we came to the conclusion that this happened when the user clicked on the Notify me when a reply is posted button, which is probably still the case here. Notice in the post that Lyawi linked, the problem started happening after-
This user posted
So I'm assuming the user checked the Notify me when a reply is posted button when they posted.

Starrodkirby86
Yeah, I did write about it earlier. I just wanted to look into it further by looking at the phpbb system a little more. I felt something was a bit weird since I never remembered being able to change your language, yet they're looking for that language.

But I don't really think there's many people that are or would want to actually look inside the phpbb site's innards. Why should you? It's been running for years just fine, and editing something internally is bad. So that's why I'm thinking it's some configuration flag in the admin panel or somewhere like that, since some users have admin panel access.
o x
Well something definitely changed because the reason it works on the new website (I think) is because you actually are allowed to change your language there whereas on the current website you can't do that so the certain language packs used are missing.

So if a user on the new website subscribes to a topic with the certain language selected than the old website will try and look for the language template and since it isn't there it ends up giving the constant error message. Or maybe I'm wrong?
Starrodkirby86
Aha, that might very well be it. It could be due to the fact you can change your localization on the new website, it inadvertently registers that user to have that localization for the language. However, the default forum package for phpbb only has English (en). Since osu! doesn't rely on the forum system to send out emails and things like that, we never really see that problem happen... Except when it's notifying the user when a reply is posted.

The languages definitely match up. This seems like a case where the old phpbb system is having some porting problems with the new. I don't know if it'll get fixed anytime soon then except for someone who has access to the web server's forum files manually adding them, or installing the language packs for those other fellows. But that requires much more access, which should be very, very limited to begin with.

Maybe something should be re-implemented instead so that we don't even need to call phpbb's notification system? Take that out of the mix.
Serraionga
I think the thread title isn't accurate. I don't recall ever subscribing to any threads nor pressing the Notify me when a reply is posted button when posting and I still get that error message almost everytime I post. I also never used the new website to post or to do anything at all. Am I missing something?

Starrodkirby86
It'd still go into effect when at least one person who set their localization to non-EN in new.ppy.sh is subscribed to the thread. When the post is sent, phpbb sends out the notification email to all users who opted in, reaching the error when one of these subscribed users have a localization that isn't EN.

At least, I imagine that... further testing could be appreciated, but I think most of the crux of the error has already been found out. Once this website switches over to the new forum system and all that jazz, this problem should supposedly disappear, since the new site doesn't care about that.
Kao

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

It'd still go into effect when at least one person who set their localization to non-EN in new.ppy.sh is subscribed to the thread. When the post is sent, phpbb sends out the notification email to all users who opted in, reaching the error when one of these subscribed users have a localization that isn't EN.
[...]
In short, it's the other users who subscribed that's causing the problem.
peppy
This should now be fixed. Please confirm.
BanchoBot
Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix errors when replying in subscribed threads. (peppy)
The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20170103.2.

Please follow up in this thread if you believe more work needs to be done to fix the mentioned issues. If they have not yet been resolved, please provide any new details that may have arisen after this build.
Starrodkirby86
Awesome! Hmm, so what happens if I change my language and do the notification stuff now? :P

EDIT: COME AT ME, I'M ON ESPANOL MODE
peppy
they will still be in english. the new site may support language-speicific notifications going forward, but this one won't.
Starrodkirby86
And the email's been sent in English. All good here. :)

I'd like to think on your end when you made the reply, it worked all fine and dandy without an angry Pippi. :P
peppy
yep
show more