forum

[Archived] I have frequent stutters on my pc (most noticable in osu!)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kyudomaster
Problem Details:
whenever i do anything on my pc, sometimes everything just stops, for only like 10 ms, and most of the time, it's just highly annoying, when i'm watching a video for example. but in Osu! the problem is a real game breaker. it breaks combo's and just makes it nearly impossible to get high scores and such. this has been happening since the latest windows 10 update.

you can clearly see the Ping rise when there's such a stutter.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20160821.1 (latest)
Kao
Could you take a screenshot of your task manager?
Make sure you enable "More Details"
And sort it by memory used.

Your problem could be simply of RAM, not enough RAM or a program monopolizing your RAM.
Usually it's svchost.exe, if this is the case, disabling Windows update helps.
Topic Starter
kyudomaster
screenshot was hard, this works as well

like during such a stutter everything on my pc just stops
so no task manager activities either :(
Dntm8kmeeatu
I see you have an AV running.

Have you tried disabling it?
Topic Starter
kyudomaster

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I see you have an AV running.
Have you tried disabling it?

I have tried that, and it didn't influence it at all. i didn't think it would anyways, because i had never had this problem before the windows update and i have been using this AV for some time now.
shiyuri
<deleted>
Kao
I can't view videos right now, could anyone be able to upload a screenshot of the video that shows the task manager itself?
It doesn't need to be exact when the stutter happens, just generally close.
Topic Starter
kyudomaster

Shiyuri wrote:

You can lookup if you have a 'Windows Restore Point'. After doing updates, Windows should make them automatically.
Try to revert your PC to that point.
If you're still stuck with the problem after reverting or can not revert at all, try to think of what you've installed recently or if you added new devices to your PC.

thanks for the answer, but onfortunately, because my pc was full, i had to clean it up and that includes the restore points. i might try to reinstall some drivers though
Kao
Could it be that you didn't have enough RAM
Or was CPU at 100% usage?
Just to be sure
Topic Starter
kyudomaster
Kao, if you can tell me how to put an image in these replies, i got one ready
Kao
You could upload your image in http://imgur.com
Then pasting the link over here
Topic Starter
kyudomaster
Here you go Kao: http://imgur.com/a/qmjy2
i was lazy so i just took a screen shot of the video, this is during a stutter. it lasted about 10 frames i think and you can kinda see that the ms goes from 1 to 200 right after it
Kao
Thank you that was valuable information, could you take a screenshot specifically of the task manager only? It's too small and compression made out unreadable.
While you're at it could you provide more information about the specs of your PC?

I keep thinking the issue is just lack of performance, meaning you're running too much programs while your PC has low performance
See if there's any suspicious program that has too high memory or CPU usage (svchost.exe is a suspect)
Topic Starter
kyudomaster
http://imgur.com/a/FGBty i hope it's readable now

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 39 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (SOCKET 1150) 39 °C
Graphics
HP w2408 (1920x1200@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (ATI) 63 °C
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (ATI) 49 °C
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB (SSD) 39 °C
298GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 (SATA) 47 °C
931GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB (SSD) 40 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 (SATA) 41 °C
i hope these are enough

EDIT:

Guys i solved it! thanks for the help. for some reason, when my background changes and my pc picks a new accent color from it, everything just stops for like 5ms. disabling it solved it pretty much. i wonder why this was happening
Kao
I see, that's interesting information.

The reason might be the same as yours in this thread
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... deddd175fb
OP wrote:
I just edited my original post because something came up. I read another post and they suggested using gpuz. So I discovered my nvidia gpu switched on and off often, and it switched on during every wallpaper slideshow, and stay on for a couple of seconds than turn off. The thing is I can't disable my build in Intel HD4000 or I will loose HDMI function. I will try nvidia control panel and post again when i find anything. If there any suggestion, please let me know.

I see Raptr running on your desktop, it's known to cause problems, try disabling or uninstalling it to see if it gets fixed