forum

[resolved] beatmaps arent playing their actual songs!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cffee_old
hey! im very very new to osu, so sorry if i sound like a mindless idiot.
so im trying to get some beatmaps, im downloading them, and doing what im assuming im supposed to be doing when i download them, which is,
1. cut the beatmap file
2. go to the songs file on the osu file
3. paste it there
... so then, i open osu, and try to play the song.
i can play just fine, but, i cant hear the music. its just complete silence.
one again, i must sound like an idiot, and i feel like one for sure. but im really confused as to whats happening and its stressing me out :(

so please, can anyone help?

(yeah, i most definitely sound like an idiot.)
Sandy Hoey
you dont have to paste the file anywhere. You should just be able to double click on the file that downloads and it will automatically open and go into then song file
Topic Starter
cffee_old

Sandy Hoey wrote:

you dont have to paste the file anywhere. You should just be able to double click on the file that downloads and it will automatically open and go into then song file
oh, really? you'd think it'd be more complex. thanks!
Pawsu
You're totally overthinking this! Beatmaps contain all the files you need. You don't need to edit, cut, or anything like that when you're downloading a map.
Simply download the map, click it, and it should open into osu! and you'll be able to play it as said above.

I recommend checking out osu!academy. It's a youtube channel with a lot of tutorials. It's got a playlist specifically for new players!
Bara-
You were likely clicking on the "Download .osu file"
That button will give you a textfile containing all the data of a difficulty, like easy/normal etc.
Clicking the big pink button below it "Download Beatmap" will give you an .osz file containing the song, background and all the .osu files needed for a complete map (and a few more misc. files)
Just open the .osz file with osu, drag it into the osu icon/window and it should open it automatically
Topic Starter
cffee_old
i am actually cringing at myself because of this.. wow. i guess everyone was a noob once. e_e
Pawsu

cffee wrote:

i am actually cringing at myself because of this.. wow. i guess everyone was a noob once. e_e
haha, it happens. no worries!