forum

osu!idol 2016 Final results!

posted
Total Posts
show more
VirusZeke

CptHampton wrote:

So I fought back a little on the key change debate because that's editing the instrumental, not the vocal. But putting together different pieces of a vocal is essentially editing your performance and not giving a true representation (the term for this is "comping," by the way, which is a step people take when mixing a song).
You have the opportunity to do as many takes as you want in this competition, just pick the best one of those. If you can't give a good performance in a single take with a whole month to prepare and re-record, honestly you probably don't deserve to move on anyway. *Prepares for backlash*

preach
HoboEater
Well I see the original rules were now edited. So lets get this clear.
ALL of the DQs (and excluding troll/404 submissions) are made up of edited cuts.
I think its pretty clear that the original rules were shit if every single DQ was breaking the exact same rule.

Maybe there's a good reason why people use cuts? You might argue that oh why can't you do it in a single take or you have a whole month to prepare.

Doing a single take is way harder than you think, especially if the song is 3 minutes or longer. You screw up once and you have to listen to the whole thing again so it doesn't count as being cut. That's just stupid. This isn't some live audition; its perfectly reasonable to use cuts to save time and give the best pieces of your vocal performance.

It's so stupid to see entries like this https://soundcloud.com/ikkoe/once-upon- ... i-applella get DQ'd because of cutting.
Emma55525
I don't like arguing, but just saw your posts and I think like... yes, it's not live auditions but changing judging now and letting cutted entries pass isn't kinda unfair with people who made effort to record in one sitting?
HoboEater

Emma55525 wrote:

I don't like arguing, but just saw your posts and I think like... yes, it's not live auditions but changing judging now and letting cutted entries pass isn't kinda unfair with people who made effort to record in one sitting?
From what I've read, the entries can be rejudged. And the judging has already been changed literally an hour ago. The rules were updated to "mixing fx is not allowed" to "track mixing is not allowed". These are completely different. Not letting cut entries pass is much more unfair. It works both ways.
Emma55525

HoboEater wrote:

From what I've read, the entries can be rejudged. And the judging has already been changed literally an hour ago. The rules were updated to "mixing fx is not allowed" to "track mixing is not allowed". These are completely different. Not letting cut entries pass is much more unfair. It works both ways.
Yet I remember there were several times someone asked in topic if it has to be recorded in one sitting so everyone should be aware of that. As you said - recording in one sitting is way harder but most people did it, tho they probably wanted to do cuts many times. If you were one of those people, wouldn't you feel like you lost your time? Being unaware of rules doen't make you allowed to break them and breaking rules is to be punished. Fighting for changing rules now is way too unfair.
HoboEater

Emma55525 wrote:

HoboEater wrote:

Yet I remember there were several times someone asked in topic if it has to be recorded in one sitting so everyone should be aware of that. As you said - recording in one sitting is way harder but most people did it, tho they probably wanted to do cuts many times. If you were one of those people, wouldn't you feel like you lost your time? Being unaware of rules doen't make you allowed to break them and breaking rules is to be punished. Fighting for changing rules now is way too unfair.
Maybe it was mentioned somewhere, but that's ridiculous because it wasn't mentioned in the original rules. You don't bury extra rules in the middle of a thread. Anyways from what I've seen so far, no one has been disqualified for not breaking the rules in a single take. I'm sorry to all those who spent lots of time doing a single take, but trust me, the feeling of being DQ'd for not breaking rules is a much worse feeling.
Topic Starter
Flanster
This was never buried. Mixing was never allowed in osu!idol (excluding finals). Cutting falls under it.
I'm not here to argue, so I will not. I apologise if the rule didn't give the proper information.
Kyonko Hizara

Flanster wrote:

This was never buried. Mixing was never allowed in osu!idol (excluding finals). Cutting falls under it.
I'm not here to argue, so I will not. I apologise if the rule didn't give the proper information.
^this

Also going to add, if your first entry got disqualified, please do not resubmit the old one unedited or submit a new entry.
ztrot
the rules are the same each year cutting has been a form of editing and that is why we ask you to do it in one sitting, that being said I think users are getting our finals rules mixed up with the stage rules. It has not changed since I ran it I have no idea where any of you are getting this from lol.
sleebees
Due to my voice not being very clear, as said in the docs, and it blending with the BGM, should i make a new recording..? or just leave it for the judges to decide what to do with the recording that's already been sent in?
[Hiiro Sakaki]

Emma55525 wrote:

The whole point I guess is to make it like a live audition... Idols get selected in live auditions, where only a single "one shot" performance matters, not a whole work of "producing"
Jellyblob
Can you do a duet with someone who doesn't have a osu! account as long as long as it is for this competition? :?:
HoboEater

Flanster wrote:

Really... You're not here to argue? Should I address my concerns over to peppy?

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. As I've said the original rules were ambiguous of what mixing fx meant. I think most would think that cutting is not considered a mixing fx. Mixing effects would be directly editing your voice such as changing the pitch or adding reverb effects. And you even edited the rules afterwards to make it clear that track mixing is not allowed. This edit happened after people were already DQ'd. Saying this was never allowed in the previous year either is not a valid point.

The least I propose is rejudging the few that got DQ'd in the registration phase and clarifying it for future rounds.

And for consideration in the future, I still think cutting should be allowed. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to save time by combining their best vocal tracks together instead of doing a one take. If there's a long break in the middle of the song you can't seriously think that we will sit through it a bunch of times if we mess up. Maybe there's a huge pitch change in between a verse and it's awkward to sing well. Maybe the song is really long or has a lot of high notes and we need a break in between.

I'm sure lot more people are doing it than you may think, and the only ones being punished are those with obvious cuts (an entry that I mixed for someone got a pass).

Or maybe you think that its unfair that those who know how to mix have an advantage over those who don't? It's literally as easy as making a slideshow in windows movie maker. We are even encouraged to mix in the finals!!! If you don't know how to mix then you're in huge trouble later on.

Sorry for dragging this on.
micajoeh
I am so (semi) hyped to enter. Don't know what i'm gonna sing. Probably queen. Im fucked anyways.
Kyonko Hizara

StaticImages wrote:

Due to my voice not being very clear, as said in the docs, and it blending with the BGM, should i make a new recording..? or just leave it for the judges to decide what to do with the recording that's already been sent in?
At this time, please do not submit another entry. Your entry is marked in yellow so it is still under evaluation. Submitting a new entry now could very possibly result in you being disqualified.
Topic Starter
Flanster

Jellyblob56 wrote:

Can you do a duet with someone who doesn't have a osu! account as long as long as it is for this competition? :?:
No.

HoboEater wrote:

Flanster wrote:

Really... You're not here to argue? Should I address my concerns over to peppy?

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. As I've said the original rules were ambiguous of what mixing fx meant. I think most would think that cutting is not considered a mixing fx. Mixing effects would be directly editing your voice such as changing the pitch or adding reverb effects. And you even edited the rules afterwards to make it clear that track mixing is not allowed. This edit happened after people were already DQ'd. Saying this was never allowed in the previous year either is not a valid point.

The least I propose is rejudging the few that got DQ'd in the registration phase and clarifying it for future rounds.

And for consideration in the future, I still think cutting should be allowed. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to save time by combining their best vocal tracks together instead of doing a one take. If there's a long break in the middle of the song you can't seriously think that we will sit through it a bunch of times if we mess up. Maybe there's a huge pitch change in between a verse and it's awkward to sing well. Maybe the song is really long or has a lot of high notes and we need a break in between.

I'm sure lot more people are doing it than you may think, and the only ones being punished are those with obvious cuts (an entry that I mixed for someone got a pass).

Or maybe you think that its unfair that those who know how to mix have an advantage over those who don't? It's literally as easy as making a slideshow in windows movie maker. We are even encouraged to mix in the finals!!! If you don't know how to mix then you're in huge trouble later on.

Sorry for dragging this on.
Sorry but now you're just nitpicking. I'm sure those who werent very familiar with audio editing have asked someone who could. There hasn't been any problem like this so far. I could even offer my assistance if a problem like this arises.
I've already apologised and have said the rule wasn't clear enough. Cutting was never allowed and it won't be, thats final.
DaJoeyElMacho
Backsound isn't one of the judging points right?
Cause I've post with low quality backsound T.T
Topic Starter
Flanster

DaJoeyElMacho wrote:

Backsound isn't one of the judging points right?
Cause I've post with low quality backsound T.T
we judge voice, not bgm
Emma55525

[Hiiro Sakaki] wrote:

The whole point I guess is to make it like a live audition... Idols get selected in live auditions, where only a single "one shot" performance matters, not a whole work of "producing"
That makes sense, I haven't even thought about it this way, tho it's so easy and it seems so correct >w<
Well, it makes no-cutting rule even more obvious now :D
Zeva[FL]
Have you decided with the amount of entry pass and entered, will it be top 100 / 75 / 50 after this registration stage?
Thank you 😊😊
Kyonko Hizara

Zeva[FL] wrote:

Have you decided with the amount of entry pass and entered, will it be top 100 / 75 / 50 after this registration stage?
Thank you 😊😊
With as small of an amount of passing entries as there are, and depending how much more come in at the finish, it is likely we may do top 75 or top 50.
Topic Starter
Flanster
Top 50 will be the most likely scenario.

Heres a bonus: timelapse video of checking stuff
Kyonko Hizara

Flanster wrote:

Top 50 will be the most likely scenario.

Heres a bonus: timelapse video of checking stuff
Flan's stress in real time
Zeva[FL]
Ganbatte Flanster !!
Lacrimae
excuse my breathing

SHIT I SUBMITTED MY FILE IN .M4A FUCK MY LFIE kms oh well
Shanipika
Wahhhh only 4 days left and my friend still didnt submit her entry :( She got sick just as her exam ended and now cant record D: Piyooooo you have to get better before the limit D:
Hoped for enough entry for Top100 i thought maybe i could pass through registration but with only top 50 its scarier D:
Oh and I saw my favorite song title in the entry list but barely able to recognize the song with the entry D: oh well x)
MikasaSerket

Lacrimae wrote:

excuse my breathing

Dude that almost happened to my friend xd. Inb4 I get disqualified, at this point I am just going to bet that I am.
[Hiiro Sakaki]

I feel the discrimination against screams :^)
Was fun to do though, good luck to everyone passes Judges, I hate you >.> Jk don't kill me ;w;

Btw am I disqualified because I broke a rule or I just don't pass because my entry was not good enough?
xSynchronize

[Hiiro Sakaki] wrote:

Was fun to do though, good luck to everyone passes Judges, I hate you >.> Jk don't kill me ;w;

Btw am I disqualified because I broke a rule or I just don't pass because my entry was not good enough?
Probably just bad sound management. Doubt they disqualify screaming metal like sort some sort of discrimination.

Now I think about it, what are the passing participants going to do about the ROCK/METAL songs in stage 4... I'm planning to do OP 2 from Death Note if I even get that far. I'm a bit worried hah.
Topic Starter
Flanster
These are evaluations, whoever passes, passes registrations.

Lacrimae wrote:

excuse my breathing

I can still open it in the browser so no worries, converting it to mp3 is a 5 sec job if anything.

[Hiiro Sakaki] wrote:

I highly doubt we can even judge that.
[Hiiro Sakaki]

xSynchronize wrote:

Probably just bad sound management. Doubt they disqualify screaming metal like sort some sort of discrimination.
Oh I never thought of it seriously, was just kidding :^)

Flanster wrote:

I highly doubt we can even judge that.
Well too bad, I hope at least you kinda enjoy it c: S A V A G E
Topic Starter
Flanster
I did actually, you were pretty good at it B)
[Hiiro Sakaki]

Flanster wrote:

I did actually, you were pretty good at it B)
Well thanks to the contest I discovered I could sing those. Inb4 cover of the whole 漢's undead corporation album

xSynchronize wrote:

Now I think about it, what are the passing participants going to do about the ROCK/METAL songs in stage 4... I'm planning to do OP 2 from Death Note if I even get that far. I'm a bit worried hah.
Well I guess it'll be more about clean rock/metal such as One Ok Rock, or anime rock (LiSA, Babymetal, or equivalent). Metal clean song would go to the thrash metal, and some post-hardcore/metalcore songs

EDIT : Ty Flan
Nitrous
> Accidentally submits mp3 to friends
> Friends make a beatmap out of it
> Becomes a meme
> ...

Yeah I can live with it.
Topic Starter
Flanster

-Nitrous wrote:

> Accidentally submits mp3 to friends
> Friends make a beatmap out of it
> Becomes a meme
> ...

Yeah I can live with it.
Catgirl
since more people are voting i'm just going to throw in my input here.

the poll question is specifically "which is more convenient?" not "which is best?". obviously more convenient would be to just pick one of the three finalists, because it's quick, easy, and you only have to pick the one you think is the best.

rating on a scale of 1-10 is harder and will take more time and effort for people (and i assume it would make people actually listen to all 3), meaning less votes. the votes you do get might have more meaning, but to be honest rating three entries on a scale of 1-10 if they're all really good will just result in a lot of high ratings and not a lot of difference (or troll 0 ratings which are even worse).

maybe ranking the three entries as 1st 2nd 3rd would be a good balance if the first option wins.
Endaris

Catgirl wrote:

maybe ranking the three entries as 1st 2nd 3rd would be a good balance if the first option wins.
that's a good idea
could weigh via points then, 3 points for 1st, 2 points for 2nd and 1 for 3rd or something, similar to how they do it on top xx osu! players votings
kungfump
Do you know when the due date is for the 2nd judging
CptHampton

kungfump wrote:

Do you know when the due date is for the 2nd judging
Starting July 1, there will be 1 week for judging, then another week for registrations for the next round. So those submissions will most likely be due July 15.
Jaye
I'd like to apologise to everyone who was unfortunate enough to hear my entry.
show more