forum

osu!search - Advanced beatmap searching

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rivenation
http://osusearch.com/

Hello everyone!

This is a project that I have been working on since last summer. I actually already released it to the public about 3 months ago, but never got around to making a forum post for some reason. Also my first post to the forums, so hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

This site aims to fill in the missing gaps of the official search, mainly searching by difficulties and actually getting what you search for (try searching for the artist "wa." on the official one)

Features
  1. Constructing complicated search queries using filters not available on the main website (eg. stars, mapper, difficulty name)
  2. Searching for exact matches by wrapping them in quotes (eg. for the artist xi you can just add quotes like this "xi". Works for title, artist, source, mapper and difficulty name)
  3. Searching for mapper by both the mapper field and any beatmap difficulties matching the format: <mapper name>'s <rest of diff name>
  4. Ordering results by fields (eg. most favorites or shortest play length, default is latest released)
  5. Sharing specific queries for easy recommendations (eg. http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=Ranked&ar=(9.00,9.00))
  6. Ignoring beatmapsets so that they don't show up on your searches (more on this later)

Here is a quick legend of the beatmaps, however it should be pretty self explanatory. If you don't know what something on the site means, try hovering over it for tooltips!

Ignoring beatmaps
Since many people here probably already have lots of maps, and would like to find some new ones to play, I've created a script that adds all the beatmapsets in your Songs folder to your ignore list.
To use this feature, you must first register, and then head over to http://osusearch.com/account/?beatmap-tutorial for more instructions.
You can also just ignore beatmaps from the search results.

Tips
  1. YOU NEED TO BE LOGGED IN TO osu.ppy.sh TO USE THE DOWNLOAD BEATMAP BUTTON
  2. Clicking the title of a beatmap will get you to the osu.ppy.sh page of the beatmap
  3. Clicking the mapper will get you to the osu.ppy.sh page of the mapper
  4. Depending on your screen resolution, some of the "less important" difficulties might be hidden. You can view them by clicking the view beatmapset button (...)
  5. You can filter with Mania keys by using the CS filter (eg. cs=(4,4) will get you 4 key maps). I'll make this more obvious in the future
  6. If when you click the download button nothing happens, either you are not logged in to the osu! website or the map has been deleted (try clicking on the title to see if the beatmap still exists)
Known bugs
  1. Maps that have been deleted from osu! still show up on searches
  2. Beatmapset modal not always working on lower resolutions
Thats all for now, all comments and feedback welcome! If you need help with the beatmap ignoring script, let me know!
Deimos
nice job, I always recommend players to use this website to filter specific beatmaps

keep up the good work!
Topic Starter
Rivenation
Thanks for spreading the word! :)
MostDakka
add search by keycount for mania pls?
Topic Starter
Rivenation

Storm2344 wrote:

add search by keycount for mania pls?
You can use the CS filter, I'll make it more obvious in the future.

For example 4-Key maps:
http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=Ranked&modes=Mania&cs=(4.00,4.00)
Endaris
I spread the word too, however I noticed that there's no option to search for tags which specifically shows when you want to search for something like Jump Practice Maps or similar.
Topic Starter
Rivenation

Endaris wrote:

I spread the word too, however I noticed that there's no option to search for tags which specifically shows when you want to search for something like Jump Practice Maps or similar.
Unfortunately, tags aren't provided by the API so this isn't possible yet.
Lay
I love this! Awesome and super handy
Topic Starter
Rivenation

SparKticas wrote:

I love this! Awesome and super handy
Thanks, glad it was useful to you!
Deimos

Rivenation wrote:

Endaris

Deimos wrote:

Rivenation wrote:

Oh my god *throws osu!coins*
Now the only reason left to use the official website will be checking Top50.
Smilyt1
this should be integrated into the jizz
Topic Starter
Rivenation

Deimos wrote:

Rivenation wrote:

Yep, asked peppy about it on slack and he was nice enough to add it! I'll be implementing this when I have some free time.

Smilyt1 wrote:

this should be integrated into the jizz
peppy did say that he wants to improve the official search with osu!next, not sure when it'll come out though.
cidsl2002
This program is just what I need for using OvO
Thanks for sharing this program and I could find maps which has higher stars than that the system has recommended to me
Blankz_
YASSSS. i just made a feature request to use the ingame filters (ar=10) and then i found this XD. i might as well just delete the request lol love it!
mizuki-chan
Sounds just great! Especially if you already got thousands od beatmaps in the list...
I'll give it a shot when im home again!
Lay

mizuki-chan wrote:

Sounds just great! Especially if you already got thousands od beatmaps in the list...
I'll give it a shot when im home again!
It really is amazing, for instance:
I own almost all of the korean and chinese maps, if you sign in, follow the instructions to copy the codes for the maps you already have it excludes them from the search results meaning you can only see songs you dont already have its like osu!direct for those without supporter, its amazing!
Topic Starter
Rivenation
Hey guys,

I just implemented a feature to try to sort through the endless sea of bad unranked maps, premium mappers.
Currently what the search considers a premium mapper is someone who has created at least one ranked map (doesn't currently count if the mapper has created a difficulty to someone else's ranked map, might implement that later).

I ran some basic statistics on unranked map's favorites, and premium mapper's unranked maps on average have 5 favorites compared to the 2 of non premium mappers. I would love it if you could try out some of the premium mapper unranked maps and let me know if you find them to be higher quality than normal unranked maps. Also if you have any ideas on what should determine who is considered a premium mapper I would like to hear them, this system is very rough as of now.

You can find the premium mappers filter under the query order header or just follow this link: http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=Unranked&premium_mappers=true
Lay
I think that's a brilliant idea Riven, especially since yes! So many bad unranked maps. There are ALOT of well known mappers, I think a good place to start with premium mappers, would be those we consistantly see maps from, I'm a retired ctb player, but for me thatd be the like of CLSW and Spectator, you can count on them for quality unranked maps that werent abandoned halfway through submitting. More overall broad generalisations point towards trying to find people who dont just chuck a map in and spam notes
firedigger

Rivenation wrote:

I ran some basic statistics on unranked map's favorites, and premium mapper's unranked maps on average have 5 favorites compared to the 2 of non premium mappers.
I think your idea is good but I'd really like to point out this obvious misconception about favourites amount. It's already biased from the fact that those mappers are well-known, and that's EXACTLY why they get more exposure and more potentional favrouties, that's obviously doesn't mean their unranked maps are better (even though that's probably true).

Honestly, being able to sort unranked maps based on number of favs was my dream for some time, because that at least separates unfinished and totally non-plyable maps from potentionally-not-that-good-but-in-the-worst-case-kinda-finished maps.
Topic Starter
Rivenation

firedigger wrote:

Rivenation wrote:

I ran some basic statistics on unranked map's favorites, and premium mapper's unranked maps on average have 5 favorites compared to the 2 of non premium mappers.

I think your idea is good but I'd really like to point out this obvious misconception about favourites amount. It's already biased from the fact that those mappers are well-known, and that's EXACTLY why they get more exposure and more potentional favrouties, that's obviously doesn't mean their unranked maps are better (even though that's probably true).
Honestly, being able to sort unranked maps based on number of favs was my dream for some time, because that at least separates unfinished and totally non-plyable maps from potentionally-not-that-good-but-in-the-worst-case-kinda-finished maps.

Yeah, you're probably right, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any other way than favorites to measure the quality of an unranked map.
miharih
ur god
KiroKusA
Oh ny gosh yes!!! I've been looking for something like this :)
This should be implemented into the new site...
T1red
The best
Egorithm
AROGATOUUUUUUUUUUU GOZAIMAAAAASUU~
deemoplayer47
-Asuki-Chan-
doesn't work at all its completely broken id like to see a fix on it please ;(
melvionn

-Asuki-Chan- wrote:

doesn't work at all its completely broken id like to see a fix on it please ;(

yeah the site is broken
DR3AMLiKE
I am clicking search and nothing happens.

EDIT: I just tested site on my phone... and it works. Maybe it works for certain web browsers? I will look into it.
Maxluli
hey so are there any news for this search engine being avaible for external uses with an api?
tekkito
RIP
clayton
was a great service. I assume it's not coming back since creator has been inactive from osu for so long? :(
bereavement
this is so sad
CocoaMilk-
best search engine
Ducketic
nice
Sipsu
It is sad to see this website gone. I always used this site for searching for random graveyard beatmaps. It was a really easy and fast way to search for beatmaps.
T-Light
Rip
Lubrison
so sad this website gone
Golden Song
날짜별로 검색하는 기능은 이 사이트가 최고였는데 사라져서 매우 아쉽다.
(This site was the best search function by date, but it's too bad it disappeared.)
reshi
Unfortunate.