forum

[confirmed] osu! hangs after being idle for a long time

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
When I leave osu! open and I don't use my computer for a while, the game usually takes longer than usual to open if it was tabbed out. If you leave it for a few hours, it'll just crash. This has happened to me a few times.

osu! version: 20160518.1cuttingedge
VeilStar
The same/something similar has been happening to me for the past while (weeks?months?). The longer I leave osu! minimized to the tray the longer it takes to respond again. It eventually always recovers though. Does it not on your end?

Edit 1: Pinning this temporarily so that I don't forget about this even if the thread doensn't get bumped.
Edit 2: Guess I'll just confirm it.
Pawsu

VeilStar wrote:

The same/something similar has been happening to me for the past while (weeks?months?). The longer I leave osu! minimized to the tray the longer it takes to respond again. It eventually always recovers though. Does it not on your end?
^ Yup. This has also happened to me.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

VeilStar wrote:

Edit: Pinning this temporarily so that I don't forget about this even if the thread doensn't get bumped.
I waited for a good while and it didn't recover, I'll let it load for 15 minutes or so next time and see what happens.
NeVMiku
This has happened to me many times. I usually see that if I minimize osu! for a short period of time, it will try to play catch up.

Now, playing catch up here isn't what the usual "fast forward" effect catch up. If you have cursortrail on and you minimize osu!, sometimes when you open it back up the cursortrail will appear solid. This is because there are so many frames crammed into the cursortrail and thus making it appear as a solid line.

I don't know why it does this but if left for hours on end this kind of effect might pile up. Because frankly this might not be the only thing happening, there might be other things without a visual effect that is going on in the background.

Though this post might not be helpful, I hope it gave some more info on minimizing osu!
Underforest
happening me like 100 times, yeah, I'm not the only one!
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
It happened again after about 20 minutes of being idle and it did came back in about 20 seconds, so it does come back. I can't imagine how long it'd have taken to work again when I was afk for hours though.
Axon
This always happens to me as well
WubWoofBacon
perhaps it's loading chat messages from #osu or other popular channels?
KJF
this always happens when I go to switch accounts with my brother and then the computer sleeps. ;-;
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
Just wondering, is there any chance that this is related to the cursor trail being messy when you open the game tab?
VeilStar

Default wrote:

Just wondering, is there any chance that this is related to the cursor trail being messy when you open the game tab?
I'm not a dev so I can't tell for certain (so don't take my word for it), but the cursor trail being messy is probably caused by this, I don't think the game hanging is caused by the cursortrail though.
BeefaloKing
Not sure if this is related or not, but after playing a really long beatmap, such as https://osu.ppy.sh/b/311269, I find the game hangs when going back to the menu. I've played that particular map multiple times today (No, I don't have a life) and once the game was unresponsive for about 3 minutes Afterwards. Didn't want to start another thread but I thought this information might be useful.
eh - - -
This is new to me for about 2-3 weeks .
starting at avg idle time of maybe 2 hours
and takes a few minutes felt to work.

There has been no significant changes in my song folders , wich i thought of first .
cause it often messages me down right that theres changes .

I wonder what the cause may be
Kao
Leaving my osu! Idle in the background would eventually make the RAM used by osu! To jump up to 600-800mb (Normal usage is 200-400mb), I think this might be the cause of osu! Taking longer time to resume when idle for a long time. Also, at the state of 800mb, my input lag is high and osu! Spikes and lags per 3 seconds making it impossible to play a map.
The usual fix is restarting osu to make the allocation of memory back to normal, and it'll be okay again.