forum

My advice for new mappers

posted
Total Posts
show more
gorgonzoler
Those tips are very useful!Time to Mod some map!
hehe
master hitsounds and base your rhythm patterning off them, it makes for a very enjoyable playing experience.
Electoz
Things would get much easier if you learn how to mod. Note that not only mapping will help you grow but modding as well. If you're feeling stuck at learning from mapping then you can try modding other maps and vice versa. You will learn even more from doing that.
If you really want to get better at modding/mapping, you have to be bold, and really consistent with your effort.
Also, always be nice to people and community in Osu!.

^That's my advice, you can add it, very good thread btw.
If you're a new mapper you can contact me any time if you need a help.
Topic Starter
[ Joey ]

Electoz wrote:

Things would get much easier if you learn how to mod. Note that not only mapping will help you grow but modding as well. If you're feeling stuck at learning from mapping then you can try modding other maps and vice versa. You will learn even more from doing that.
If you really want to get better at modding/mapping, you have to be bold, and really consistent with your effort.
Also, always be nice to people and community in Osu!.

^That's my advice, you can add it, very good thread btw.
If you're a new mapper you can contact me any time if you need a help.
Yeah, a lot of people don't understand how much modding can benefit them. I added your post, thanks!
Endaris
I think the post tells too much about what NOT to do.
It's not bad to make mistakes if you make them in a smart way and have some gain from it.
Having courage to try things and question the results right after is very valuable in my opinion.
Kagari
being a mapper means taking almost 3rd quarter of your mapping time testplaying your maps over and over and over and over again. (I'm dead serious here). Doing testplays helps you a lot on getting the map flows smoothly so that you can get the gits of how fast/slow/smooth/jumpy your map can be as you map the song.
You need full understanding of the song that you choose to map so that you can get the idea on how you want to pattern your map based on your understanding. You may make some few jumpy or stream patterns but does it fit well with the song itself?
Also, don't afraid to ask the community for a testplay if they are willing to. Their opinions on your maps might be come in handy.

And important thing, every mod that you received for your map is very valuable and should take a look at it no matter what. You might be thinking "eww, this modder xxx doesnt like my pattern, that's why he/she want to nerf it", but these modders took their time to take a look at your mapsets, find some parts that are little bit off, and give some suggestion(s) to improve it. So, try to testplay that suggested part. If it's better than your previous pattern, apply the mod for that part. If it's not or you have a better way to create even better pattern than the suggested one, give some reasonable answer for declining that suggestion(s). This can help your mapping skills a lot.

One last thing, do not overmap. :o
Topic Starter
[ Joey ]

Endaris wrote:

I think the post tells too much about what NOT to do.
It's not bad to make mistakes if you make them in a smart way and have some gain from it.
Having courage to try things and question the results right after is very valuable in my opinion.
Remember, this is advice for brand new mappers. In my opinion, experimenting comes a little bit later, after you start to understand the fundamentals.
It is a lot easier to understand what not to do, than how to do something. And I think it saves a new mapper a lot of time if he/she knows what they shouldn't be doing.

I do agree with you, trying new things is very valuable, just not in the beginning. :)

Kagari wrote:

being a mapper means taking almost 3rd quarter of your mapping time testplaying your maps over and over and over and over again. (I'm dead serious here). Doing testplays helps you a lot on getting the map flows smoothly so that you can get the gits of how fast/slow/smooth/jumpy your map can be as you map the song.

You need full understanding of the song that you choose to map so that you can get the idea on how you want to pattern your map based on your understanding. You may make some few jumpy or stream patterns but does it fit well with the song itself?

Also, don't afraid to ask the community for a testplay if they are willing to. Their opinions on your maps might be come in handy.

And important thing, every mod that you received for your map is very valuable and should take a look at it no matter what. You might be thinking "eww, this modder xxx doesnt like my pattern, that's why he/she want to nerf it", but these modders took their time to take a look at your mapsets, find some parts that are little bit off, and give some suggestion(s) to improve it. So, try to testplay that suggested part. If it's better than your previous pattern, apply the mod for that part. If it's not or you have a better way to create even better pattern than the suggested one, give some reasonable answer for declining that suggestion(s). This can help your mapping skills a lot.

One last thing, do not overmap. :o
Thanks for your input! Very valuable points that you bring up. Added
N0thingSpecial
I think a problem that new mappers (myself included) is that they don't even know what fundamentals are there, I'm making my first map and there's always this feeling that my map feels off even when people played my map and say it flows and stuff. There is always this urge to correct things that mods might find wrong but there are no bases for myself to make that judgement.

Edit: minor question, would it be a dick move to give kudosu to people who posted something that is not modding related?
Mekki
Completely agree on what you said there, this will certainly be useful to a lot of new mappers that are trying to enter on mapping world.
Aldwych

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I think a problem that new mappers (myself included) is that they don't even know what fundamentals are there, I'm making my first map and there's always this feeling that my map feels off even when people played my map and say it flows and stuff. There is always this urge to correct things that mods might find wrong but there are no bases for myself to make that judgement.

Edit: minor question, would it be a dick move to give kudosu to people who posted something that is not modding related?
For the 1st paragraph :
Nothing is wrong with taking ideas from other mappers.
Do not hesitate even to compare what you've done with recent ranked mapset (with a close BPM by preference).

For the 2nd paragraph :

As long as it helps your map to be better/in the right way yes.

Interesting thread. I would be interesting to see this on modding tho.
CXu

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Depends on what kind of post it is. Modding doesn't have to be "timestamp - do this and that". It can be just text describing things you can improve in general in your map, and it'd still be a mod.
N0thingSpecial

CXu wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Depends on what kind of post it is. Modding doesn't have to be "timestamp - do this and that". It can be just text describing things you can improve in general in your map, and it'd still be a mod.
like not even constructive just things like "ur map is good"
Aldwych
if it doesn't improve or help by any case your map, then don't kds.

Somehow i'm curious if people made some thread about a rework of kds and the number to give. But that's not the right thread to talk about, just came in mind.
CXu

N0thingSpecial wrote:

like not even constructive just things like "ur map is good"
Well, did the post make you improve your map? If the answer is yes, give kds, if the answer is no, don't.
Liiraye
Joey I must say I give very similar advice to people who are brand new to mapping, asking me to teach them. You bring up really good points but I would go a bit more in depth and explain what you are refering to as in for example how simple sliders work, what 'understanding the music' means practically, I.E. how to connect jumps that aren't arbitrary in distance (using different DS for emphasis) Etc. I usually go through all that when explaining how I map. Basically how to technically interpret a song, also showing examples in maps that plays really good and really bad, so they get a feel of how good and bad interpretations look. When mastering that I think it's time to learn the art side of mapping, because just like you say it's better to master the technicalities before you start defining your own style.

Great thread, I could help out a bit with providing pictures in a few days if you want.
Topic Starter
[ Joey ]
Sorry guys I have been out of town

Liiraye wrote:

Joey I must say I give very similar advice to people who are brand new to mapping, asking me to teach them. You bring up really good points but I would go a bit more in depth and explain what you are refering to as in for example how simple sliders work, what 'understanding the music' means practically, I.E. how to connect jumps that aren't arbitrary in distance (using different DS for emphasis) Etc. I usually go through all that when explaining how I map. Basically how to technically interpret a song, also showing examples in maps that plays really good and really bad, so they get a feel of how good and bad interpretations look. When mastering that I think it's time to learn the art side of mapping, because just like you say it's better to master the technicalities before you start defining your own style.

Great thread, I could help out a bit with providing pictures in a few days if you want.
Thanks for the feedback!
And it would be great if you could provide some pictures :D
Seijiro
As a new mapper I firstly did a lot of study using all the guides the community created thourgh the years. There's basically all you need to know in those guides and using just a bit of common sense can make you avoid silly errors (talking about personal experience, so meh, not everyone is the same) (also, take a look to others ranked maps, that's the most valuable resource of what you can and what you can't do, if you're keen enough to notice them, obviously)

Leaving here the link for the mapping/modding compendium thread everyone should take a look at at least once: t/60228
N0thingSpecial

MrSergio wrote:

Leaving here the link for the mapping/modding compendium thread everyone should take a look at at least once: t/60228
Where were you when I started mapping ;-;
Kibbleru
good advice for starting off, would recommend
Pogge
Good stuff, Joey. Thanks for this. =P
Princess Jish
Thanks, very helpful.