forum

Let's talk Easy mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +946
show more
xasuma
When editing a mod. How would you deal with previous scores achieve with the mod? If I get a good score with a more now, and two weeks later they make the mod easier, how would my score be handled?

That's my question.
Remco
I would rather have a whole new mod than changing the current easy mod.
Well i'm probably 1 out of those 10 people who enjoy putting easy on 4.5+ star maps, it's more of a challenge than playing them w/o.
So i would hate to see the mod removed but that doesn't mean there should be some changes to it, it makes indeed the maps harder instead of easier.
Bara-

MillhioreF wrote:

Hahaha, yeah, this really does happen to a rather ridiculous degree.
That said, it's probably too late to fix it, since it does affect replays rather significantly.
Quote taken from a rather small request by me t/255315
Look how big on an impact this has if it gets used

Also, think about other modes, in Taiko/Mania(/Ctb) it DOES make most maps easier, even 10 stars for example
It's too late to change it now
SweetMate
I think you're all just upset you cant read EZ mod. There are people that can and enjoy it because they know not many people can.
Its a satisfying feeling knowing you can do something that the majority of players cannot. So removing EZ mod or changing EZ mod completely destroys this aspect.

Just leave it as it is but maybe change the name to something a little less misleading. :/
CustomMods
I know this post is 4 years old but.
Just wanted to say this is a great idea.
Making Maps Harder to play should be rewarding.
Making maps easier to play should make them less rewarding.

Easy should increase / decrease PP and Score based on factors, maybe basing off of "if map AR = 7 or lower, INCREASE , if AR = 8 or higher, Decrease PP"
and the same for Doubletime. If a map is really slow and using doubletime can make the song easier, you shouldnt be rewarded for needing the extra assistance.
GhostFrog

CustomMods wrote:

I know this post is 4 years old but.
Just wanted to say this is a great idea.
Making Maps Harder to play should be rewarding.
Making maps easier to play should make them less rewarding.

Easy should increase / decrease PP and Score based on factors, maybe basing off of "if map AR = 7 or lower, INCREASE , if AR = 8 or higher, Decrease PP"
and the same for Doubletime. If a map is really slow and using doubletime can make the song easier, you shouldnt be rewarded for needing the extra assistance.
There's a lot of misinformation in this post.

There already is an aim bonus to pp for AR<8 that scales with just how low AR is. It's not influenced by other factors and likely won't be for quite a while, but it's there. Mod bonus for score, which has a static multiplier, absolutely must be < 1 for EZ mod because it halves the OD and CS (and HP but that's not important). There are a lot of maps that do become much easier with EZ even without much experience or skill with the mod.

DT can make a song easier for some specific player, but in order for that to be the case, that player must have the physical and mental skills necessary to play the more physically difficult 1.5x speed version of the map. If you take a player who can just barely pass a map nomod, the DT version most certainly will not be easier for that person. The fact that someone may find the DT version of a map easier reflects the fact that finger control and AR6/7/8 reading are skills that people don't bother with anymore. Buffing those skills a bit in pp would probably be a good idea, but if you buff them to the point where playing a map with DT gives you LESS pp than playing it nomod, you've gone waaaaaaaaay too far.
shioty
I agree to this thread
Bara-
Actually, asukan is right
Many people complain about EZ mod, because they can't play it them selves
Other people call EZ players bad cause they only read low AR
I HATE that. I'm an EZ player myself and people talk bad about it
I like it, as it creates difficulties
It's only a problem the score/pp gets lowered
Nabile

baraatje123 wrote:

Just as the OP stated, Easy mod does the complete opposite of what it says.
Besides, it probably wasn't peppy's intention to target players such as you, who seek difficulty, but instead was made to help new players get into the game.
The purpose of this thread is to try and fix this contradiction.
GhostFrog

Nabile wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

Just as the OP stated, Easy mod does the complete opposite of what it says.
Besides, it probably wasn't peppy's intention to target players such as you, who seek difficulty, but instead was made to help new players get into the game.
The purpose of this thread is to try and fix this contradiction.
Every ranked map that's less than 5 minutes long has to have at least an easy or a normal diff. Diffs specifically designed to be easy are made to help new players get into the game, not EZ mod (and EZ mod barely changes those diffs at all). EZ is simply another mod that you can turn on to make a map play differently and that's exactly what it does. Yeah, it's not named very well because without practice it just makes most maps harder. How about instead of using a bad name to justify taking away a mod that a lot of players enjoy playing and spend hours and hours practicing and that some very skilled players can set some very impressive scores with, we change its name? Or, better yet, how about we just leave it as is! I like this plan.
IxWolfie
Tough I'm not a "new" player, my rank is very low if you ask me. I was able to usually pass AR7 for a good while, then 7.5; and I was increasing by increments of 0.5 for awhile (from like AR5). But now, AR9 seems to be easier than AR8. Even for a "new" player like me.

I'll agree, I always complained that Easy mode is harder because of the stupid overlaps and the circles are gigantic. I wanted to use "easy" as like a practice map, y'know for like seeing how it's actually played; but since I tried it like twice I reverted to HT for that.

And for the other things you named, I haven't failed a map on Easy because the only ones I've used it on are insanes; so I just quit when I can barely tell where you start with all the overlaps. But if I had any stars I'd use them here.
Oinari-sama
Seeing that there's been very little usable ideas as opposed to negative energy in the past few days, I'm locking this up temporarily. Take time to cool of your heads and refocus on how to improve EZ mod.

The topic is still valid and will be revived later. Feel free to read through what's been posted since page 1 and see if you can come up with something better.

EDIT:

Alright, let's try again :D

PLEASE focus on how to improve the mod (actionables) and save the "x is right, y is wrong" debate for General Discussions forum. If you don't like the idea, don't bump the thread! It gives the thread attention instead.

If you need to quote someone's post, make sure that your reply contains actionables instead of just debates. Quoting gives tunnel visions and can make you forget why you're here in the first place.
Rhythm Frienemy
Actionables correct?

Tbh, i only used easy mods on specific modes like taiko no tatsujin and Catch the beat modes on maps like higan kikou and AugoEidEs. on Catch the beat, it does create lots of chokepoints of concentrated hell that is pretty much unfollowable due to sensory overload. same in taiko w/o DT

i propose, exchanging easy for a special mode that allows you to change the params of a song freely. so, its pretty much the same as what other's said. Its gonna be unranked of course, unless using the pre-existing options for easy ( the halved everything one for simplicity, or every beatmap could have its own official 'easy' options that are pre-set by the creator or the masses ). about the pre existing score , leave them alone. score multiplier is the same in this way ( for the pre existing options) which is 0.5. any other modifications to the paramaters will be given a 0 in multiplier a.k.a unranked. name of the revamped mod could be "easy" or some other names
Bara-
That has been requested before in an other thread
Stickman92
I believe easy mod shouldn't change.
Firstly AR doesn't affect how difficult a map is. It only effects how long the hitcircles last on the screen(basically if you can read it) and players who play and read EZ mod most likely find it easier for them because of how they can read low AR (don't take that as a fact since i can't read low AR) and benefit from the other stuff. That is stuff is lower OD, larger circles, more forgiving HP drain and lower AR. Which all make the star rating lower and easier (doesnt mean it will literally be easier for the player , and AR affects star rating by 0.01 usually on a sidenote).

I just wanted to get my opinion on the EZ mod out there.

Although i wish i with Global Ranking(Selected Mods) could actually see the replays but if i think realistically that wont happen because it will be too difficult to implement and i believe it only effects supporters.
[ Scarlet Red ]
Don't remove the EZ Mod :<

I find it really fun to play extremely fast maps with it because it makes you think of multiple things:

1) Rhythm
2) Memorization

Rhythm because you don't focus on the notes coming at you one by one. You focus on them all in your face, so you rely on ears and stuff.
Memorization because all these notes are on the screen you have to memorize the patterns so you can actually do jumps etc.

So I am actually for making EZ mod a 1+ point multiplier mod.

As for "nobody using the mod" I think -GN, or SapphireGhost could say otherwise. It's an extremely FUN mod to use... I just wish we could get some more recognition for it!

That's all!
Scarlet Evans
What do you think about something like this:

Clicking [Easy] could make a little tooltip appear above it. There would be 4 icons in it, one per each of: CS, AR, OD and HP (and 5-th one for 3-lifes?). You could just toggle it on/off, in other words - choose which attribute do you want to decrease.

And in case of AR, we could make it double-clickable, like DT/NC. First click would be for simple decrease (like -1/-2), depending on the map's AR, the second one would be for "the old good x0.5".

This way, a current [Easy] would just be the Easy with toggled everything ON and no matter how much things you toggle, it would always give you x0.5 points (sometimes we need only HP/AR, so decreasing multi penalty for less attributes would be too OP, I would keep multiplier as it is)(the 3 lifes can be discussable though).

No matter how much things you toggled ON, it would be just marked as an EZ, so there is no need to delete old scores or anything like that. We would have just added possibility for a little modification of Easy, but people could both play the old way and the new = choose what to decrease.

What to you think about this idea?
GhostFrog
no
Bara-

GhostFrog wrote:

no
Also, custimisable map-settings are a different request
Stickman92

Lybydose wrote:

There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The approach rate. This is the biggest reason. Most players, even new players, find faster approach rate easier than slower approach rate (to a certain point around 6-7 or so). Cutting the approach rate in half on harder maps is a HUGE change. Most Hard/Insane maps become completely unreadable because there are SO MANY circles on the screen at once.
It took me a while but I have learnt how to play EZ mod and I believe that the low AR is the main reason why I play it.

2) Increased circle size. This usually makes it easier, but in a lot of situations it causes really confusing overlapping. Coupled with (1), the map is even more difficult to read.
Once again once you adjust to it the notes do get easier to hit imo.

3) Decreased overall difficulty. Yes, really. In osu!, you can't hit a note until the previous note either been hit or missed. By "missed", I mean that too much time has passed that you are no longer in the hit window to get a 50 on the note. A massive decrease in overall difficulty on harder maps makes the hit window for a note overlap with the "exact timing" of the next note in many cases. What this means is that if you misclick a note, yet hit the next one perfectly, you often miss it too because the previous note is still "active" and the note you clicked just "shakes", even though you hit it perfectly. You end up missing an entire chain of notes because of one misclick.
Agree

4) 3 life system. This doesn't actually make it harder, but it isn't implemented very well. It's incredibly difficult to resume playing after starting on the next life. Why? There's a completely unrhythmic amount of time spent waiting for the life bar to fill up again; it's impossible to tell exactly when you're supposed to start playing again. I think there's a button to skip this, but I have no idea what it is. The only reason I think this is because sometimes it immediately starts playing again without a wait. I've tried just about every logical button to intentionally skip it, and I've never managed to trigger it. Usually if I "fail" a map with Easy the first time (which is common thanks to (1) (2) and (3), I just immediately fail another 2 times.
Agree but in most scenarios you dont use the 3 life system because of the low HP drain.

5) Changes Insane maps far more than Easy maps. The Easy mod divides all the difficulty statistics by 2. This means that on an Insane (with AR/Drain/OD 8+), it makes a huge change. On easier maps (which it's probably intended for), it barely changes it at all. OD 1 ==> OD Half? Might as well not do anything at all.
Don't really understand what point you are trying to prove. I think I understand the last 2 sentences. The OD and AR change won't be that noticeable, but the hit circle is definitely larger which makes it easier for them to hit it.

So why am I bothering to post this? The "Easy" mod is misleading to new players! It makes things more difficult!

Basically, my feature request is to do one or more of the following:

1) Remove Easy mod completely.
2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?

3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
4) Something else?!
I believe another option could be to create a new mod that halves the AR of the map with a score multiplier of x1.00 just call this 'new mod' cant think of a name.

5) A mix of point 4 and 5. Add the mod request I made in point 4 and rework work the EZ mod to let the player choose their AR. In that way people who can't read low AR don't immediately start with half their usual AR and instead can work their way down or work their way to reading high AR (this way EZ mod will literally become easier). Then EZ mod players can choose to continue playing EZ or go to the 'new mod' to give themselves more of a challenge. This is the best way I can think of for everyone to benefit from the change.If you got a better way pls tell me.

All the points I made is all my personal opinion and some of it may be different for other players.If I made any grammar mistakes ignore it. On a side note ignore my earlier post. My opinion has changed after learning EZ mod.
vitail
i agree with this
yeahyeahyeahhh

vitail wrote:

i agree with this
Same
Stitchie
WHEN is this finally going to get changed?
Kushy
Make "EZ Mod" give a score bonus.

And make a totally seperate mod like "BEGINNER Mod" which makes circle size that little bit bigger and allows the player to pick their ar.
(Begginer mod should have like a score deduction like the EZ Mod has currently)
Jesper
I would say make EZ mod actually easy and make another mod doing what EZ does now, for people like -GN that can pass blue zenith +EZ
LastExceed

Lybydose wrote:

This is perhaps the most misleading mod in this game. It claims to make maps easier and lumps a huge score penalty on the player for using it, and yet it does precisely the opposite: makes a great number of maps absolutely Insane.

There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The approach rate. This is the biggest reason. Most players, even new players, find faster approach rate easier than slower approach rate (to a certain point around 6-7 or so). Cutting the approach rate in half on harder maps is a HUGE change. Most Hard/Insane maps become completely unreadable because there are SO MANY circles on the screen at once.
I actually prefer it this way. It does indeed take a while to get used to it, but I now reached a point where the slow AR improves my reading. I can't even read TBB without EZ so no way I could play it NM

2) Increased circle size. This usually makes it easier, but in a lot of situations it causes really confusing overlapping. Coupled with (1), the map is even more difficult to read.
Again, just something you need to get used to. It's also dependent on the skin you're using. With the default skin this isn't that much of an issue. Further more, if it bothers you that much, you can just skin the circles smaller to prevent them from overlapping, it won't affect their actual hitbox

3) Decreased overall difficulty. Yes, really. In osu!, you can't hit a note until the previous note either been hit or missed. By "missed", I mean that too much time has passed that you are no longer in the hit window to get a 50 on the note. A massive decrease in overall difficulty on harder maps makes the hit window for a note overlap with the "exact timing" of the next note in many cases. What this means is that if you misclick a note, yet hit the next one perfectly, you often miss it too because the previous note is still "active" and the note you clicked just "shakes", even though you hit it perfectly. You end up missing an entire chain of notes because of one misclick.
This is actually the main reason why I am playing with EZ. you're reight, but this problem only occurs in streams and during streams you will also experience it without EZ so don't blame it on the mod

4) 3 life system. This doesn't actually make it harder, but it isn't implemented very well. It's incredibly difficult to resume playing after starting on the next life. Why? There's a completely unrhythmic amount of time spent waiting for the life bar to fill up again; it's impossible to tell exactly when you're supposed to start playing again. I think there's a button to skip this, but I have no idea what it is. The only reason I think this is because sometimes it immediately starts playing again without a wait. I've tried just about every logical button to intentionally skip it, and I've never managed to trigger it. Usually if I "fail" a map with Easy the first time (which is common thanks to (1) (2) and (3), I just immediately fail another 2 times.
Again, you just need to get used to it. They might add a countdown or remove the randomizer from the revive time but thats it. Though you could indeed use the already halved HP rate as an argument to remove the extra lives.
5) Changes Insane maps far more than Easy maps. The Easy mod divides all the difficulty statistics by 2. This means that on an Insane (with AR/Drain/OD 8+), it makes a huge change. On easier maps (which it's probably intended for), it barely changes it at all. OD 1 ==> OD Half? Might as well not do anything at all.
the difference between OD1 and OD0 is bigger than between OD10 and OD9 so halving the values instead of subtracting them by an absolute value makes perfectly sense in my eyes

So why am I bothering to post this? The "Easy" mod is misleading to new players! It makes things more difficult!
I agree with this

1) Remove Easy mod completely. HELL NO!
2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume? hmm maybe
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps. yeah, "lol".
4) Something else?! Maybe create a new EZ mod and use the current one as a second option just like fade-in in mania?

Ok sure, it would break existing replays on Easy mod. Thing is, there aren't many to begin with because it just isn't worth using to make a map harder, only to give less points. Most of the time people just use it to pass TAG4 maps with the extra life system.
Breaking the scores would be avoidable if the current mod stays in the game
WavePoint

Lybydose wrote:

2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
4) Something else?!
I think that 2 AND 3 are a great solution together. #2 should be reworked as explained. #3 should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk)", and should fall on the HR mod category. #3 will still be the same as today's easy, but the HP drain should be the same as "No Mod"(depending on the creator) or more unforgiving along with no extra life.
Swerro
Does osu! actually need a mod that makes the map actually easier? I believe it's quite impractical as opinions about what is easy and what is hard are extremely broad. (especially when talking about AR and CS)
There are multiple ideas in this thread about how EZ mod could be reworked, but they seem quite complex and have many diversed opinions on it.

I think osu! doesn't need a mod that makes it practically easier, as it's quite hard to make such a mod.
Also, when you'd change/rework the mod, what about all the plays that already exist?

should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk), and should fall on the HR mod category."
The one thing I would consider changing maybe is the name of the mod, as EZ is obviously very misleading. Annoyance is maybe somewhat unsuitable ;p.
I looked up synonyms for "hard to read" and found a few better suggestions.
"Enigmatic", "Perplex", "Abstract", "Cryptic", "Scrawled", other similar names.
WavePoint

Swerro wrote:

should be renamed called "Annoy" or "Annoyance" or "ANNOYING(jk), and should fall on the HR mod category."
The one thing I would consider changing maybe is the name of the mod, as EZ is obviously very misleading. Annoyance is maybe somewhat unsuitable ;p.

I have to agree with you...
o x

Swerro wrote:

Why? Easy in theory makes the game easier. It lowers the AR and CS and the HP drain, just because some users find it harder to read at higher levels doesn't mean it should be called something else.
7ambda
All you have to do is have it decrease the AR by 1 instead of halving it. It's literally that EZ to fix.
Swerro

Cawub wrote:

Why? Easy in theory makes the game easier. It lowers the AR and CS and the HP drain, just because some users find it harder to read at higher levels doesn't mean it should be called something else.
I agree. But we aren't talking about some users, we're talking about a huge amount of players. I can confidently say that 50%+ users in osu! find that EZ mod makes the beatmap harder. Maybe we should do a poll?
Anyhow, I myself don't mind the misleading naming, EZ has a funny ironic name. yes i change my view/opinions in things frequently

All you have to do is have it decrease the AR by 1 instead of halving it. It's literally that EZ to fix.
An AR drop from 9 to 8 would still make the map harder for many people.
I'm still convinced that there is no fix for EZ mod as opinions on AR diverse so much. And that osu! doesn't need a mod that makes it practically easier, as it would involve changable AR which is a somewhat weird thing for a mod.
Edgar_Figaro
I think EZ mod should allow the user to change CS, AR, & OD to whatever settings they want (still keep HP fixed so people don't just put everything to HP: 0) Also by doing it this way people could also use EZ as a practice mod to try and work on things they struggle at. Have a problem reading small CS but don't want maps being low difficulty or AR10 when Hr is added? Just put on a map with ez and practice your CS: 5 reading skills
iYiyo
EZ is not EZ and should definitely reward more on harder diffs.
mulraf
deleting ez or completely changing it to something it wasn't before: that's bad. there actually are +ez players out there. they've set amazing scores and made names for themselves. they partly belong to the most loyal osu playerbase and i think completely removing ez or the possibility to play ez as it was before it not a good idea.

making the difficulty selection optional: actually not that bad of a idea. maybe it should have some kind of borders. like you can only change a cs5 into cs3 or od9 into od6-7 at the most. i think it would be a bit to much otherwise. but generally i support this since the people who are known for their +ez skills can still have it adjusted like it used to be and scores won't have to be deleted.

changing the multiplier: i agree. i disagree to make it positive though. even though they might not benefit you, there are people getting benefits out of ez. especially the 3 lives, od and cs. but i would give it a multiplier of say 0.9x or something along those lines.
100BUNDA
Or maybe just add AR/CS/OD/HP sliders, then people could choose what they prefer playing, either low or high AR/CS/OD/HP, so they don't need to edit the map or play in a custom client... And obviously, make it unranked if anything is changed from the original beatmap. I think the best way to do this is creating an entire new mod and calling it "Custom", when selected, sliders would appear to allow changing the AR, CS, OD and HP of the beatmap.

About the Easy mod, the name "Easy" is very unappropriated, i think it only needs to be renamed to something else.
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Lybydose wrote:

Oooohh... I don't think so.. What should we do with the existing gameplays with EZ mod? This might lead to a complete format of every maps/diff that was played by a single player with EZ mod... Or a removal of a gameplay by every player who used EZ mod...

Any of the both possibilities I think will make a complete change with the global and country rankings...
Am I correct?

:3
FiddleBlue
Personally, I love ez mod lol, since it lowers od.
Learn how to read, nub. :^)
The only thing I hate is that you have to wait for the health bar to go up after you fail.

But yeah I agree with you ez mod isn't as what its name should be. When playing around 5* to 7* it can be quite messy with all the circles overlapping and simply look messy.

So here's a better (in my opinion) solution, that is probably already been said. Current ez mod is kept, as there are tons of scores already being made with the mod. Make a new mod with the things you said, like customized ar, and cs. That way, everyone will be happy.

If we're this, the ez mod should be totally renamed as it's really inappropriate.
Caput Mortuum
choose option 1 and do this instead t/141204
Kyrari
Really disagree with removing EZ as someone who has been playing that mod lately, there's a really niche thing about being able to play maps easier but making it a lot harder to read that I find really fun to play.

Would much rather rename EZ into something else and make t/141204 into EZ mod instead
show more