forum

[Archived] osu! crashing on launch

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
voynich
What's been going on
I have not touched osu! on this computer for a long while.The time that I did touch it was offline.After I got my wifi set up,I found that I was on a very old version of osu!.
No problem,just update,you'll be fine.
Next launch,however,shows it never actually updated.osu! kinda just stayed on Fallback.
Next launch after that,still on Fallback.
Next launch and I just honestly don't care.I decide I'll only use this one for mapping and modding,so the plan starts to work out.I decide I'll try to update it again.A stupid mistake.After this,the entire osu! menu screen just kinda goes away.Reload and it comes back,just a bit weird.
Next launch,and,oh boy,here's where it gets weird.
Looks fine,notification on the bottom says it's updated,but it's fairly obvious that isn't the case.The old background is still very much there.
So,I update it in the background while I map,finished,usual osu! menu not there,restart.
When relaunched,an osu! updating notification appears.Good,it's working.
Loading...loading...relaunch!Yes!
So,relaunch,go into osu!Yes?
No.relaunch and crash.osu! is not working,and isn't going to get any better.
What's going on right now
osu! will not launch,and will crash upon launch.No available fix.I assume the only fix going for me now is to copy a few notable files(maps I've been making,a few skins),delete everything,and reinstall osu.I wanted to know,before I get onto such a task,if there is any alternative to deleting everything and starting over.

osu! version(not really): 20151128
Trosk-

AlchanyMan wrote:

Looks fine,notification on the bottom says it's updated,but it's fairly obvious that isn't the case.The old background is still very much there.
I guess you are actually up to date. Stable (Fallback) still has the old background.

Anyways, just in case, does this still happen if you try to run a different installation of osu!? Create a new folder in the desktop or wherever you want, copy your osu!.exe, paste it in the new folder (it should be empty) and run it. The updater should start downloading all the files in that folder and launch osu! when it finished.

If it's still not working after that, probably something is screwed in your PC, and we should take a look in other things...