forum

[Archived] My keyboard is not recognized in-game (works out of game)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mukti
Problem Details:

I recently got a ThreeKeyBoard to use with Osu!, but my key presses are not recognized in the game. I can use the keyboard fine outside of the game, or on the beatmap selection screen; but on the main screen or the game, I the key presses are not registering. You can see this in the video below. When I go into the map, you can see that I somehow manage to click the "skip" button, but after I attempt to play, all of my clicks fail. The second play through, I'm constantly clicking both buttons, but they aren't registering. You can see me successfully typing into my Firefox search bar, and the beatmap search - it just fails when I get into the game.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

https://youtu.be/fqiyx5-YkQQ

osu! version: 20150901 (latest)
Yun_desu_yo
I got the same issue too '3'
I wish the Techkeys would've done better job explaining how to efficiently use the Threekeyboard instead of sending a sticker.
Topic Starter
mukti

Yun_desu_yo wrote:

I got the same issue too '3'
I wish the Techkeys would've done better job explaining how to efficiently use the Threekeyboard instead of sending a sticker.
Its odd that it works outside of the game, but not in it.
Topic Starter
mukti
I reached out to TechKeys and they responded pretty quickly. They have their developers looking into it. I'll update here if I get a fix, or if we figure out what needs to be modified.
Yun_desu_yo
Thanks. I looked at couple threads but I think they were intended for the key card not the Threekeyboard (that's already made).
Say, did your Threekeyboard not come with keypads? I was bit irked to pay for about 48 dollars and have to pay additional 12 dollars and shipping to get their cherry mx keys
Yun_desu_yo
Oh? Nvm. You were right about quick response. I got a free shipping for next order out of apology
Topic Starter
mukti
The developers are creating a custom osu! firmware for this, and they want to know what keys we would want. I was going to use esc, z, and x (from left to right); but would anyone else want to do something different? I don't want to tell them to go with that if more people would prefer something else.
Trosk-
Seeing the video seems like you have two of those keys binded to Z and X. Just in case, do you actually have those keys set in the keybindings options of osu!? Because the fact of them working in the beatmap selection screen and not in game is odd...

Also, as a tip, you can activate the option "Always show key overlay" to see if the keys respond properly.
Topic Starter
mukti

Trosk- wrote:

Seeing the video seems like you have two of those keys binded to Z and X. Just in case, do you actually have those keys set in the keybindings options of osu!? Because the fact of them working in the beatmap selection screen and not in game is odd...

Also, as a tip, you can activate the option "Always show key overlay" to see if the keys respond properly.
They don't work completely in the menu, only the search (using it to control song playback at the main screen does not work). They are binder to Z and X, and they are set in the keybindings options. I can use the z and x on my regular keyboard fine, it's just the ThreeKeyBoard that fails to be recognized. I'll try the key overlay the next time I can get to my PC, and see if the keys are responding. Thanks!
Yun_desu_yo
I told them I wanted z, x, and c for mine :P
(overlay doesn't work for me)
Topic Starter
mukti

Yun_desu_yo wrote:

I told them I wanted z, x, and c for mine :P
I ended up saying the same thing. I think c would probably be better than esc, that way you don't accidentally press it mid game. Also, you can remap c to something else if you want. :)
Yun_desu_yo
Nah, I'm good. I like to keep it smoke, left, and right.
Kyozoru
Your control panel settings maybe? :3
Yun_desu_yo
Nope. Manufacturer believes it needs new firmware.
Topic Starter
mukti

Trosk- wrote:

Forgot to do this sooner... just ran with the key overlay on, and it is clear that the keys aren't responding properly.
Vanila
Im having the same problem. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
Topic Starter
mukti

Onley wrote:

Im having the same problem. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
The developer thinks during gameplay of osu it is measuring the duration of the keypress, but when the ThreeKeyBoard recalls a macro, the keypress is likely so short in duration that the game does not register it. I'm waiting for new firmware to be released (currently under development).