forum

[Archived] Cannot access osu cutting edge.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CyberPoutine
Problem Details: Whenever I try to access osu cutting edge, I always get an error. Now I know that might pc might not be able to handle it, since my graphics card does not support shaders. (I'm on low spec laptop) However I was wondering if I could fix this issue if that weren't the problem. If this issue isn't able to be fixed, can someone explain what cutting edge is? I haven't seen people use it (Well maybe I have) but I've never seen people explain the features etc.

This is the error I get:

Also everytime I download cutting edge, I have to delete the config file and restart osu.

osu! version: 20150901 (latest)
abraker
can someone explain what cutting edge is?
From http://blog.ppy.sh/post/121263357358/20150611-deploy:
SPOILER
Stable
The default release stream. Stable builds are generally, as their name implies, stable. There shouldn’t be any new bugs that find their way into these releases (in theory!). Stable builds are released as often as possible, but generally this ends up being between 1-8 weeks between releases. My personal aim is one release a month, but depending on the state of code and how deep in shit we are, this sometimes is not possible.

Beta
Beta releases are a mid-ground, offering inquisitive users early access to new features and fixes that are in the pipeline, without the possibility of the world falling apart on them. The beta release stream is safe for anyone willing to report bugs they may find, rather than raging about it.

If you don’t mind helping, please stay on the Beta stream. The more people we have testing this, the less chance bugs will find their way into stable releases, affecting the masses.

Beta releases happen every Friday automatically, or sooner if we decide there’s a need to get a hot-fix out to users rapidly.

Cutting-Edge
This is where things get interesting. You’ll be exposed to changes made to the osu! code-base in real-time. If we fuck up, it could fuck your osu! up badly. But you’re already here so you know these risks, right?! In exchange for the extra risks, we will give you our ears 24/7 and work with you to fix any issues you come across. You will also get access to some preview features that aren’t quite ready for prime-time, such as the Target Practice mod, the ability to fast-forward replays at varying speeds and more to come.

Cutting edge releases happen as we make changes, multiple times a day. We won’t force you to come join us on the edge, but we do appreciate those who do!

Not sure about the error though. Can you copy and paste the entire thing to here?
Topic Starter
CyberPoutine

abraker wrote:

can someone explain what cutting edge is?
From http://blog.ppy.sh/post/121263357358/20150611-deploy:
SPOILER
Stable
The default release stream. Stable builds are generally, as their name implies, stable. There shouldn’t be any new bugs that find their way into these releases (in theory!). Stable builds are released as often as possible, but generally this ends up being between 1-8 weeks between releases. My personal aim is one release a month, but depending on the state of code and how deep in shit we are, this sometimes is not possible.

Beta
Beta releases are a mid-ground, offering inquisitive users early access to new features and fixes that are in the pipeline, without the possibility of the world falling apart on them. The beta release stream is safe for anyone willing to report bugs they may find, rather than raging about it.

If you don’t mind helping, please stay on the Beta stream. The more people we have testing this, the less chance bugs will find their way into stable releases, affecting the masses.

Beta releases happen every Friday automatically, or sooner if we decide there’s a need to get a hot-fix out to users rapidly.

Cutting-Edge
This is where things get interesting. You’ll be exposed to changes made to the osu! code-base in real-time. If we fuck up, it could fuck your osu! up badly. But you’re already here so you know these risks, right?! In exchange for the extra risks, we will give you our ears 24/7 and work with you to fix any issues you come across. You will also get access to some preview features that aren’t quite ready for prime-time, such as the Target Practice mod, the ability to fast-forward replays at varying speeds and more to come.

Cutting edge releases happen as we make changes, multiple times a day. We won’t force you to come join us on the edge, but we do appreciate those who do!

Not sure about the error though. Can you copy and paste the entire thing to here?
I meant like what are the features right now. So far I only know about being able to remove slider ends.. and here is the error:
error message
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContextException: Failed to initialize EGL, error NOT_INITIALIZED.
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglWindowInfo..ctor(IntPtr handle, IntPtr display, IntPtr surface)
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglAnglePlatformFactory.CreateWindowInfo(IAngleWindowInfoInternal window_info, Int32 major, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at OpenTK.Platform.Egl.EglAnglePlatformFactory.CreateGLContext(GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext shareContext, Boolean directRendering, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsContext..ctor(GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext shareContext, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags)
at #=qwykvvsiNLQj57jTihOcTzlLF2BKYR6qWIXUALSA7n3I=.#=qPwmUy_3HiLyifLjDdZIp0A==(Int32 #=qKHxxRtY2M75ZbLm58Cc42Q==, Int32 #=q4x0W_2lJcenxaof3gGqAWw==, GraphicsContextFlags #=qprfkM4YA4$izeqo5_Wffwg==)
at #=qBG2LhKJ_54mOuvIZf7dlnrV214j6NAYf2YIFaQVy0GY=.#=q8eH5VrEx8l2Mll2VsrtnYg==()
at #=qBG2LhKJ_54mOuvIZf7dlnrV214j6NAYf2YIFaQVy0GY=.#=q8eH5VrEx8l2Mll2VsrtnYg==()
at #=qBG2LhKJ_54mOuvIZf7dlnrV214j6NAYf2YIFaQVy0GY=.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs #=qh3FqqDX7v5X4uRRuq$Up$w==)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at #=qpLkUGO6l$szPFQzFs83x3IZMmG$yip42N7YFmNksB$R33UHNjfDn68FtQO690NZP.WndProc(Message& #=qSfxt0C0VoafP4pklBojBmA==)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1022 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
osu!
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.3.3.7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kevin/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/osu!/osu!.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1015 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
OpenTK
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.2049.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kevin/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/osu!/OpenTK.DLL
zx_f3bc446e98974bed9e99e2a7eba330c6
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.3.3.7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kevin/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/osu!/osu!.exe
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1015 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Numerics
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1016 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.237 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
VeilStar

kevinosuaccount wrote:

This is the error I get
Report that error in the cutting edge thread please.

kevinosuaccount wrote:

Also everytime I download cutting edge, I have to delete the config file and restart osu.
You should be able to switch back through the config window, which is brought up by holding shift (untill it pops up) when opening osu!.

kevinosuaccount wrote:

what are the features right now
Here are some off the top of my head:
-Additional replay speeds using the numbers on your keyboard.
-Toggling certain mods when watching a replay.
-Target practice mod.
-A bazillion bug fixes.
abraker

VeilStar wrote:

Here are some off the top of my head:
-Toggling certain mods when watching a replay
-Additional replay speeds using the numbers on your keyboard.
-Target practice mod.
-A bazillion bug fixes.
As well as:
- TREMENDOUS performance improvements
- New osu! theme
- New osu! default backround
- Letterboxing
- Slider end skinning
- 100% OpenGL
- Rankable 9k autoconverts
- Records are saved when you play multiplayer
- support for osu://spectate/<user> links
Tom94
CuttingEdge currently requires shader support to work. If your PC does not support shaders, then you are out of luck for now. Not sure whether we will ever go back from requiring shaders. It is a possibility that you will have to upgrade your laptop if you want to use newer osu! versions.
Topic Starter
CyberPoutine

Tom94 wrote:

CuttingEdge currently requires shader support to work. If your PC does not support shaders, then you are out of luck for now. Not sure whether we will ever go back from requiring shaders. It is a possibility that you will have to upgrade your laptop if you want to use newer osu! versions.
Thanks, But how about the beta build? When I try running beta, it doesn't give me the error above, it just gives me the "osu has crashed" window. Does Beta requires shaders as well? And since beta is suppose to be the next update/next few updates, does it mean I need a pc upgrade really soon? I'd really like these questions answered. Thanks in advance.
abraker
Are you able to update to it properly? The game is crashing not the installer, right?
Topic Starter
CyberPoutine

abraker wrote:

Are you able to update to it properly? The game is crashing not the installer, right?
Yeah it's just the game. I can only run it on stable.
Trosk-

kevinosuaccount wrote:

Thanks, But how about the beta build? When I try running beta, it doesn't give me the error above, it just gives me the "osu has crashed" window. Does Beta requires shaders as well? And since beta is suppose to be the next update/next few updates, does it mean I need a pc upgrade really soon? I'd really like these questions answered. Thanks in advance.
You are getting the osu!crashed window but I guess if you click in the image of the window, the error log will be the same.

Hold Shift while opening osu! until a configuration window pops up and see if "Compatibility mode" is enabled or disabled. If it's enabled, disable it and click in start osu!.

Topic Starter
CyberPoutine

Trosk- wrote:

kevinosuaccount wrote:

You are getting the osu!crashed window but I guess if you click in the image of the window, the error log will be the same.

Hold Shift while opening osu! until a configuration window pops up and see if "Compatibility mode" is enabled or disabled. If it's enabled, disable it and click in start osu!.

There is no "compatibility mode" for me. I run windows xp if that helps.

Edit: I changed to Beta mode and realized there was. Compatibility mode was disabled, but all I want to know right now is if the Beta/Cutting Edge builds need shader support, or if my pc is just bugging out on me. Thanks in advance.

Edit 2: About the error message, it isn't the same. I get this:

Error
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at #=qYBgWveukVRie0WMpN7vK9MsuN3KEmSDEOw935P4m3H$DevGCwFunulYINnQ3OEGQ.#=q4cRsKokTDhLFCBZq14JxCw==()
at #=q_OwijqZg4MYCs8Iq5nd7tw==.#=qKGiMFmYIvK7EZ4eeJSqLjA==()
at #=q_OwijqZg4MYCs8Iq5nd7tw==.#=qHbR789UvSVAL1rOS0XqDyw==()
at #=qH64ZI0coYG6mZf30Ho58V17hdvncZq2Gt6iVJcvM3W4=.#=q4VpqcQwGiAWwyzfzMUuLJQ==()
at #=qjfzh76HdGDMAxj5mkfpKRQ==.#=qiUs_GYvV19vjYLIdHuaOxw==(String #=qMahBNaCGVwOeTZk2uMzcPA==, Boolean #=qSeWJy6P1s0cseAspgcTC7wKGag9Z5j114E5czIvBVHU=, Boolean #=qgKfbxPwGf1fxawwZ2hwq4Q==)
TheVileOne
Tom already made a post about shader support being required in cutting edge builds. You would need to have supported at least a basic level of shaders to run stable directX. You would get a notification instructing you to switch to openGl otherwise. I don't know how much more strict the requirements have become, but your computer should be able to run it. you haven't provided computer specs or your gl_info.txt that is created when you start a cutting edge build.
peppy
are you even reading the error thevileone? it's a nullref. how can that be shader related?
TheVileOne
I read it just fine. The user asked if the latest builds required shader support and posted that error message which I couldn't address right this moment.
peppy
Shall we try and actually be useful?

To the user: Please run CUTTINGEDGE, not BETA.

Report the error message you are seeing with the latest build.

If you are getting an error, join the public slack #cuttingedge channel and help us debug it with you.
Kyozoru
When i go cutting edge, i get lower frame and lags though, i just use opengl now because it helps me reduce 90% lag (only in stable build, not in cutting edge)