forum

[Archived] Game frame rate capped at 60fps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aaron
Hi, osu! seems to run +150fps when it's displaying the menus and song selection screens fine, but as soon as a game starts, the fps is capped to 60hz.

I'm using a laptop with Intel HD5500 and I'm starting to think it's a Direct X / Intel power saving feature in action, and happens when something is triggered when a game begins?

Would anyone know the cause and possibly a solution for this? I found some threads where people had the same issue but the content had been removed?

Thanks
TheVileOne
Well you just mentioned something you should look into. You can always adjust power saving options on your computer. Look for the power options in Control Panel.

Also I suggest trying the current builds. You will get more frames. You would have a better idea whether it's being capped and will be able to look at your frame graph (ctrl + F11).
Topic Starter
Aaron

TheVileOne wrote:

Well you just mentioned something you should look into. You can always adjust power saving options on your computer. Look for the power options in Control Panel.

Also I suggest trying the current builds. You will get more frames. You would have a better idea whether it's being capped and will be able to look at your frame graph (ctrl + F11).
Thanks for the response,

Setting the driver and OS power settings to performance was one of the first things I tried. :P

And do you mean try the beta releases? My osu! client is currently up to date.
Trosk-

Aaron wrote:

Thanks for the response,
Setting the driver and OS power settings to performance was one of the first things I tried. :P
And do you mean try the beta releases? My osu! client is currently up to date.
Yes, he is meaning that would be nice to test how Cutting Edge release stream works on your PC. You are probably gonna get more performance.

If you change to Cutting Edge and you are getting worse performance, go to the options, and enable "Compatibility mode". That option is below the FPS Limiters.
Topic Starter
Aaron
Thanks, I didn't expect trying the latest builds to fix the problem, but I'm getting a solid 240fps at 2048x1152 now, on Intel HD 5500. :)

Nope, turns out when the laptop is running off the battery, the problem persists, no matter the settings in-game, in Windows or in the Intel Control Panel.

The game menu will always run at 240fps though? Wonder why... Maybe osu! uses something GPU specific in-game that triggers the frame rate cap? *sigh*