forum

[Archived] Good FPS, bad refresh rate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YeoNg
Problem Details: I don't really know the technical terms for my issue. I run osu with unlimited framerate and the counter at the bottom right displays 300+ fps. However, when I'm in game, it does not feel like 300 fps. For example during spinners, I'lll see many cursors instead of a smooth line. I think the issue is perhaps my computer not running osu properly or efficiently? When I play fast songs, I can barely see my cursor. Please help!

I'm playing on my laptop: dv6t quad edition. My graphics card is 6770m running leshcat 12.3 UP2 drivers.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
Trosk-
Are you, by any chance, using OpenGL on Stable release stream? Could you change release stream to Beta or Cutting Edge and see if you get better results? You can change it from the options.
VeilStar
I'm pretty sure you're simply seeing some screen tearing.
If you enable Vsync and it goes away then it is tearing. In which case you can either get used to it or play in borderless or use vsync and trade tearing for input lag. It's nothing unusual or bad. If that's not what you mean then mind explaining it in more detail?
NeVMiku

YeoNg wrote:

Problem Details: I don't really know the technical terms for my issue. I run osu with unlimited framerate and the counter at the bottom right displays 300+ fps. However, when I'm in game, it does not feel like 300 fps. For example during spinners, I'lll see many cursors instead of a smooth line. I think the issue is perhaps my computer not running osu properly or efficiently? When I play fast songs, I can barely see my cursor. Please help!

I'm playing on my laptop: dv6t quad edition. My graphics card is 6770m running leshcat 12.3 UP2 drivers.
Does sound like low refresh rate. Fixing refresh rate is usually impossible because it's a hardware limit (monitor) but if your monitor is not running in optimal conditions then you can try to solve this. I don't have an AMD card but try poking around in the Control Panel of the card. Nvidia lets you determine the refresh rate in custom resolutions settings so it might have something similar to that.
abraker
Check your screen's refresh rate. Most modern screens out there are at 60hz or 120hz if you are lucky.