forum

[Archived] Hitsounds are dumpster levels of bad.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
Problem Details:

everything sounds very delayed and in many ways overlapped and inconsistent, as you can see in the video, the osu! bot seems to be hitting way too late, and the triples and stacks are not triggering nearly enough hitsounds or at the right time. most of the triples seem to only register a single, or 2 hitsounds. This has been a huge problem for me for months now and while I have managed to cope simply by turning off effects volume, I do somewhat wish I could at least utilize them, especially for stream hell maps.

As it stands, turning on hitsounds immediately causes me to end up with an error of something like -35 +2 from my usual -10 +8 without, so they are useless. Offset isn't related because the inconsistent nature of it is definitely a bug.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
Trosk-
I don't know if I understood it correctly.. Are you meaning that the objects have nice timing with the song but just the hitsounds are delayed?
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
the hitsounds are delayed and as you can see when notes are closely timed they overlap and pretty much drown eachother out so a 5 note stream just sounds like 3 at random times.
Trosk-
This is weird... I thought about a problem with sound card or something like that.. But I don't really have hopes on it.

What release stream are you using? Have you tried to change it and see if it still happens?
VeilStar
I REALLY doubt this is the issue given that you've had it for months already and resorted to playing with no hitsounds but I'll go over it anyway...
What's your universal offset set to? If not 0 then set it to 0 and see if that's any better.
If not then use the offset wizard to try and get it back in sync.

If changing your offset doesn't help a damn I'd advice re-installing your sound drivers.
Also try closing down any and all background processes that don't absolutely have to be running, even if it's just to narrow down the issue.

I'm not sure what else to say. If any additional information comes to mind then do post that.

Edit: Actually, nevermind the offset thing. This can't be it.
Do you happen to be using anything other an stereo sound setup?
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
ya its def not offset

some additional info is if i restart my computer im able to play with hitsounds like normal for roughly ~30 minutes, and then things return to abnormality.

i just have use headphones plugged into my motherboard, nothing special.
Trosk-

Riince wrote:

ya its def not offset

some additional info is if i restart my computer im able to play with hitsounds like normal for roughly ~30 minutes, and then things return to abnormality.

i just have use headphones plugged into my motherboard, nothing special.
It's weird... Do you have GPU or you use and integrated one?
lolcubes
This usually happens when you apply sound effects in windows. Check if you have any equalizers enabled, also which sound card do you have?
Some onboard realtek cards work better if you just uninstall it's software and just use the windows driver instead.

This looks exactly how my old xonar DS I used a few years ago acted when I didn't enable GX (enabling it would cause some other problems though).
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
im assuming there's nothing wrong with my framerate there since without hitsounds i have no issues with hits, my current top play was done without them. the game is rendering my hits at the right time, but audio from the game itself seems to be getting applied at the wrong times.

I have a nvidia gtx 240 graphics card.

lolcubes wrote:

This usually happens when you apply sound effects in windows. Check if you have any equalizers enabled, also which sound card do you have?
Some onboard realtek cards work better if you just uninstall it's software and just use the windows driver instead.

This looks exactly how my old xonar DS I used a few years ago acted when I didn't enable GX (enabling it would cause some other problems though).
thank you i will try this later, sounds promising as i am indeed using an integrated realtek card.
abraker
The timing is wrong to begin with. I had to change the offset from 55 to 125. Other than that, everything seems fine on my end.
TheVileOne
People who had this issue in the past were able to resolve it by reinstalling audio / sound drivers.

Some reference threads
t/253366
t/200509
t/119238