forum

[Archived] memory leak

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
silmarilen
Problem Details:
im just using osu. playing, speccing, chatting, basically actively using it. and over time my RAM usage increases. it is currently on 600mb after about 3 hours, but earlier i was going over 1GB ram and i had to restart the client. i dont know what exactly causes it since im doing pretty much everything the game has to offer except for using the editor.
i think it's related to playing/speccing because when im just idly chatting it doesnt go up.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
well, other than my list of processes there isnt really anything to show.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
bigfeh
Even though you could have definitely found a leak, a 400MB increase when actively using a client while, I assume, changing maps often doesn't sound too absurd to me. I'm not sure as to how the client works but this could easily be explained
abraker
dupe: t/323660
bigfeh

abraker wrote:

dupe: t/323660
If you had actually read this thread you'd see he didn't mention editing anywhere

so no, not a dupe. Posts such as yours are particularly useless when the linked thread is not actually a duplicate
abraker
For all I know, the memory leak may not be related to editing. I have been receiving lag from having osu! open for extend periods of time accompanied by high RAM usage. If anything, the editor is just a catalyst for the memory leak, whilst there isn't much(but still is) something in non editor pertaining to the leak. So it seems that many of osu!'s elements are related to the problem.
bigfeh

abraker wrote:

For all I know, the memory leak may not be related to editing. I have been receiving lag from having osu! open for extend periods of time accompanied by high RAM usage. If anything, the editor is just a catalyst for the memory leak, whilst there isn't much(but still is) something in non editor pertaining to the leak. So it seems that many of osu!'s elements are related to the problem.
"For all you know" (which, by the looks of it, isn't much) it may not be related, but probably is. As long as it's a "may or may not but still probably is", you shouldn't be going all "dupe" on threads that might not even be related to yours
Topic Starter
silmarilen
it stays high even after i stop playing, and it doesnt go down.
i noticed it the first time when i had been playing for a while and when i went to spec someone a couple of hours later it was lagging.
i restarted osu and paid attention to my ram usage and it kept going up while speccing.
osu isnt supposed to get to 600mb from speccing, it has never done that for me before.
bigfeh

silmarilen wrote:

it stays high even after i stop playing, and it doesnt go down.
i noticed it the first time when i had been playing for a while and when i went to spec someone a couple of hours later it was lagging.
i restarted osu and paid attention to my ram usage and it kept going up while speccing.
osu isnt supposed to get to 600mb from speccing, it has never done that for me before.
The point is you don't know whether that's caused by intended functionality or not. It sounds weird, sure - there could perfectly be a leak behind this, but it could also be the result of an intended feature (?) or poor memory management.

In most leaks in object-oriented code, the memory is not recoverable. That means that, depending on how the code is written and the language used, the memory usage decreasing could be a strong indicator of it not being a leak (an over-allocation, in that case, would be more likely to be the culprit). iirc, osu! was written in C#, so this could apply
lolcubes
I don't like to speculate a lot, however I suspect it has something to do with custom hitsounds and skins. On one of my old PCs I had an issue that custom (not default) hitsounds started to disappear entirely after a period of time (until the client either crashed or was restarted). I believe I did report it at one point but there was just too little info for it to be useful.
While my current PC is pretty powerful and isn't affected by large RAM usage, I do see the client reach over 600MB occasionally, but it does go back to 350ish after a while too.
Topic Starter
silmarilen
i havent had this problem anymore since a couple of days after i made this thread, but it doesnt sound like you had the same problem. my hitsounds were working fine and my ram didnt go down after a while.
Topic Starter
silmarilen
ok this is still happening after all. it seems to come from just playing, and unless i restart osu my memory doesnt drop. currently sitting on 660mb ram from playing a couple of hours ago and not restarting osu since then.