forum

Default background for beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,571
show more
[ Scarlet Red ]
I voted, even tho I'd rather have my background dim to 100%, I still think this deserves recognition.
Catgirl

eeezzzeee wrote:

So basically giving the playfield.png of skins an actual purpose other than editor?
I actually like this idea, even though I probably wouldn't use it. Maybe have a "Disable background" option in settings that would allow the playfield.png to be used instead, and therefore would make this a skinnable feature.
Kevs
I completely agree with this, Would be super awesome to see this implemented in osu!
Therealsage
I think this is great! Its not like it ruins the gameplay for anyone and the change should be toggleable!

This Feature can't hurt anything if it were to get implemented, at least not what i know off :D

Support +
Snamex_old
Yes please! I'm getting tired of seeing half naked anime girls all the time...
guro
Satyrsaw
So basically you have the same background as in osu! front page for all Songs? The idea i got from this was that each Song would use that BG. Not sure if its what was suggested. Any way, only gonna throw a start if it is what i think.
otoed1
This would be excellent, plus we can customize our skins even more :D
Fritz
This needs to happen. If I intend to ever play this game in a public place I do not want anime women invading my screen on map selection!
Eni
I disagree. Map backgrounds are the choice of the mapper, and should (if done properly) reflect how the mapper feels about that song. Using a default background would defeat the purpose of relating the background to the song (psychology).

Fritz wrote:

This needs to happen. If I intend to ever play this game in a public place I do not want anime women invading my screen on map selection!
Don't download maps that are subject to those backgrounds (i.e. TV Size, "kawaii" anime).
Fritz

Project Railgun wrote:

I disagree. Map backgrounds are the choice of the mapper, and should (if done properly) reflect how the mapper feels about that song. Using a default background would defeat the purpose of relating the background to the song (psychology).

Fritz wrote:

Don't download maps that are subject to those backgrounds (i.e. TV Size, "kawaii" anime).
If a player feels the need to have a default image for the maps, for me it would just be a blank black screen for everything, why not allow them to do so? I would say over 95% of the songs I have played in this game have some form of anime background that appears during breaks and map selection. I am not strictly speaking of inappropriate images. Personally, I think it would be incredibly nice to just have an option to either set your own background for all maps or just disable map art entirely.

EDIT: I do not disapprove of anime, in fact I enjoy it, but there should definitely be an option to disable or change map art, as an aesthetic. Some map art images are blurry as hell too, which is annoying.
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Spicy Salsa wrote:

Not everyone would use this feature, obviously, but I and surely some other players would have a better experience with that feature.
Yup. Not everyone. But exclude me. I WANT THIS! :D :D :D :D
PERSONALIZING OSU = <3 <3
Remco
Would certainly make it easy to have every background a custom color
PureFallen
I love the idea.

Problem: Flashlight Mod.
I hate it to use a 100% Dim, i can´t see the circle of FL.
Other way i see a custom Background. Both disturb me by playing.

So i must change the background in the Songs-Folder after i downloaded a new map.

Ouch, that hurts :o
Mafuuu
This would be so awesome to have around. I don't like using 100% dim since it makes the lighting weird for me and it sounds like too much of a pain in the ass to change all my beatmap backgrounds into a black picture .-.
-Maus-
/sup even though I wouldn't use it much.
-Maus-

5522Luca wrote:

Sorry for double post, but

Did you say something?
gregest

Transformau5 wrote:

5522Luca wrote:

Did you say something?

on topic:I would love this because I play with 50% dim and gray bg and it's a pain to change bg on every map
Mahogany
Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Yes yes yes
SmoreJoy

CptBlackBird wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

Did you say something?

Also, this is one of my most desired game additions. I think players should be able to choose the background they play on. Also I would prefer having the background of the mappers choice when selecting a map, but still have the option of a skinned playfield while playing the song.
Dromadan
I beg for this to be added.
shioty
Nice idea ! but In CTB I CANT PLAY FULL DIM
Conor
Sjolle
As a newbie, i would love this feature.. Sometimes at my current level the different backgrounds just keep messing up my combo :<
Mahogany

Sjolle wrote:

As a newbie, i would love this feature.. Sometimes at my current level the different backgrounds just keep messing up my combo :<
Dim the background to 100%
Dephix

WEIRD FACE wrote:

I would prefer having the background of the mappers choice when selecting a map, but still have the option of a skinned playfield while playing the song.
this is a must in the game imo
WingSilent
Sounds like a good addition. :D
ziin
You can skin this "effect" with inputoverlay-key.png.

it's how I play with a gray background without replacing anything in the beatmap.
Pituophis

ziin wrote:

You can skin this "effect" with inputoverlay-key.png.

it's how I play with a gray background without replacing anything in the beatmap.
I tried this but it covered up the hit circles as well.

+support

I would like this feature.

I used OsuBGReplacer. to Change all my BG images. I was dumb enough to use it on all my songs before testing it on one map. Hope it works. lol

EDIT: program worked fine but it also deletes the custom hitsounds in the beatmap skin :(

EDIT2: Replaced dead link. Let me know if it works
Fritz
This should be added to the game for sure. My friend (Kon) coded me a program that will remove all current beatmap images and replace it with the file overwrite.png. It also has an option to restore all the backgrounds, I use this when I will be playing osu! in public to avoid anime women all over my screen.

Here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/rpwf8i
Virus scan (Qihoo's detections are false, still use at own risk): https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ee81 ... 451441162/
Sunkiss
Yes Please!
mulraf
agreed. looks like it's not likely to see the request being done after 2 years but i still have hope left :P
someone here wondered if it would be the main menu screen just behind every map. i'd personally preffer 2 individual backgrounds (just if this somehow gets added though)
Mahogany

mulraf wrote:

looks like it's not likely to see the request being done after 2 years but i still have hope left :P
Eh, I'd wait for osu!next before we call any of these requests "dead"

That said, osu!next is pretty much half-life 3
MightyDJ
Yes!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Very nice idea because i hate to play with those fucking anime/hentai backgrounds in every god damn song... :o :o :o
vitail
YES
Bren
I thought this would be great if it was implemented. Instead of being stuck with an all black background when the dim is set to 100%, it would be nice if we could choose to see another color other than black; it provides the players with even more choices to approach the game.
Bara-
I'd like this!
Eddragon
Seems pretty cool to me. I can see all kinds of benefits for this. Maybe you have a favorite color that is easy on your eyes, or maybe you want a background with sharp contrast to the skin you are using. Can not see a any real downside to the game play from this so I am all for it
Pfeifi
Just found this thread looking for exacly this feature.
Osu! ppppllllsssss :) :) :) 8-)

Edit: but the Osu!BgReplacer works also fine for me ;)
NaTha
voted ^^
show more